Area 11 Salmon Report

Posted by: SaltyDawg27

Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/07/17 10:22 AM

Anybody been fishing Southworth or Dolfin Pt? Theres been some nice Kings caught there this time of year in the past. I'm surprised we can keep hatchery and native coho this year. Thanks in advance.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/07/17 10:21 PM

I must say I'm scratching my head at wild coho retention in 11 this year too. Not that it matters much, I doubt I'll encounter one. Must have been a small poker chip that got tossed in during the horse trading session.

fb
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/08/17 01:15 PM

While there will be some opportunity to retain wild coho in specific MAs please keep in mind that it is illegal to have fish aboard that are not legal in the MA in which you are "fishing."

For example, launch in MA 10 and drop your crab pots then head to MA 11 and legally retain a wild coho. The problem is that if MA 10 is closed to retention of wild coho you cannot stop on your way back and pull your pots - that would put you in violation. To be legal you would need to off-load your MA 11 salmon and go back out for your crab pots.

This is a PITA and far over-reaching in my opinion but it is the law so be aware.

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/10/17 05:39 AM

Larry, I would never abide by that law. I don't promote WDFW stupidity.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/10/17 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: SaltyDawg27
Larry, I would never abide by that law. I don't promote WDFW stupidity.

Just pointing out how different rules for adjoining MAs can inadvertently put otherwise honest/legal players cross-ways with LE especially with some MAs being best accessed through a launch in another MA - with dissimilar rules.

As to the rule being stupid, no - it is really simple but certainly put in place to make life very easy for LE while making it rather convoluted for citizens. But I understand your sentiment.
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/10/17 11:10 AM

Take a picture of you, the fish and your punched catch card. Make sure the picture contains a prominent landmark of the MA you caught the fish in. Time stamp your picture. If you get checked while in the restricted MA, show the LEO the time stamped picture. If you get a ticket, take it to court. You may win, you may lose, but chances are the LEO will only give you a warning.

I'm not a lawyer, but I played one in my school play...and I did use this process to avoid a ticket in Seiku!

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/13/17 02:40 PM

Where's good to crab in Northern area 11?
Posted by: RogueFanatic

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/17/17 09:38 PM

SD27, I can tell where NOT to go. Me and 2 other boats were crabbing on the opener (Friday) off of Fern Bay in Colvos Passage south of the Southworth ferry and directly across to the West from there also in MA11. Worst. Crabbing. Ever. Not just shorts and females, just nothing. Pots had like, 2 rock crab, one 3" Dungie, a sole. After 6 hours we tucked our tail and headed back home, 0-fer.

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/17/17 10:15 PM

I was in Admiralty Inlets, Point Defiance. Fish checker said crabbing sucks! Everyone I talked to got blanked. Some red rocks only. No keeper Dungies.

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/19/17 03:34 AM

I crabbed fern bay/cove sunday and got a dozen or so very large redrocks at 50 feet. 6 to 7 inches. No Dungies. Fished Southworth 2 hours Saturday and didn't mark anything and then had downrigger issue. Fished Dolphin Sunday morning and marked a ton of fish and bate, but only could fish 60 ft down due to lack of cable from my Saturday downrigger issue. Lot of shorts being caught. Was great to just be out there.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/19/17 05:37 AM

Was great to just be out there.

WDFW's new motto!

Re: Area 11 Salmon Report - 06/19/17 07:52 AM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
Was great to just be out there.

WDFW's new motto!

"Now get out of the way so the commercial and Tribal boys can move in"!