Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill

Posted by: Soft bite

Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/06/17 04:14 PM

The Aberdeen Daily World has a great story about saving a juvenile osprey that was tangled in a derelict gill net in its nest. They incorrectly referred to it as fishing line twice.

http://www.thedailyworld.com/news/osprey-freed-from-tangled-mess/
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/07/17 12:53 PM

Lots of painful social commentary in there, Soft bite. Really highlights how under-educated the non-fishing public is on salmon management issues. Glad the osprey was freed, but more than a little disappointed its captor was dubbed a mess of "fishing line."

Another great opportunity to demonstrate the dangers of derelict gillnets has been missed. To make matters worse, calling the abandoned net "fishing line" paints sport anglers as the culprits.

I'll write a letter to the Daily World. I think some corrections (which nobody will read) are in order.
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/07/17 03:09 PM

Funny how virtually anytime I see a news story on a subject I'm intimately familiar with it turns out to be just another example of fake news!

America Fuckyea!!!
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/07/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
Funny how virtually anytime I see a news story on a subject I'm intimately familiar with it turns out to be just another example of fake news!

America Fuckyea!!!

No [Bleeeeep!], I was thinking the same thing. Another poorly written article by a clueless journalist.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/07/17 05:00 PM

Finally someone wrote a comment to the article pointing out the "error."
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/07/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster

America Fuckyea!!!

You catching Ospreys again BB? That Kalbi sauce rocks as a seabird marinade - IMO. Good vittles! thumbs
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Great picture and story of Osprey in derelict gill - 08/08/17 08:30 AM

Tastes just like a cross between a bald eagle and a spotted owl smile