finding rods with similar characteristics

Posted by: thaxor

finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/05/17 01:58 PM

Maybe it's because it's what I grew up with, or maybe I'm a cheap date. I have an old 8'6" Shakespeare Intrepid IM6 8-20lb Medium bait caster I got it when I was 16 years old. It's caught hundreds of fish but it's pretty beat up now.

I'd like to find something with similar action but longer for fishing hardware. I search for IM6 rods and can't find anything with similar 8-20lb line rating. Anything over 15lb seems too stiff in the higher modulus.

Anyone have some recommendations?
Posted by: eswan

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/05/17 07:03 PM

I would look in the im8 air series or sst. The air series isn't im6 but there soft so i think it would be comparable. I'd suggest going and wiggling rods and find what's right for you and what you want.
Posted by: eswan

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/05/17 07:05 PM

BTW catch any of those downtown silvers ive been seeing jumping off east bay drive?
Posted by: Beerman

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/05/17 09:35 PM

Cabelas has a 10ft 8-17lb in their Fish Eagle series for $80. It might be close.

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/05/17 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: eswan
I would look in the im8 air series or sst.

Good call, I've got a few of those air im8, not quite as much back bone as id like but they're real close.

Originally Posted By: eswan
BTW catch any of those downtown silvers ive been seeing jumping off east bay drive?

Not yet, sounds like a good time though. If the tides are favorable maybe a Saturday afternoon priest point trip is in order.
Posted by: fp

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/06/17 09:35 AM

Are you looking for spinning or casting rods? I've got a couple Intrepid spinning rods I would sell?

fp

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/06/17 11:07 AM

Originally Posted By: fp
Are you looking for spinning or casting rods? I've got a couple Intrepid spinning rods I would sell?

fp

Looking for casting, 9'+

Beerman, I'll give that Cabelas 10' a check, thanks.
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/06/17 12:23 PM

Another vote for an 8-17 rod. Shimano made a 10' 6" Convergance that works very well for hardware to avoid the sharkies and chumlies at Dan's spot. laugh
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: finding rods with similar characteristics - 10/06/17 12:37 PM

If you can find an Abu Garcia, PMC 106, ml pro MAX. This was in the concept2000 series. thumbs