New reel shopping

Posted by: Anonymous

New reel shopping - 10/13/17 08:31 AM

Anyone here try the newer Daiwa reels? I have it narrowed down to a Tatula type R 8:1 retrieve lefty or the Zillion SV lefty 7:1. Its a hundred dollar difference. Im betting the features dont warrant the extra cost but they may. Thoughts?

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 08:35 AM

I'm also in the market. Looking like I'll stick with the Curado line.

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
I'm also in the market. Looking like I'll stick with the Curado line.

Thats cool . I like the braking system on the daiwas better. But I like to be different.

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 09:23 AM

"Anyone try the new Daiwa reels?"

Lews and Shimano responses lol

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 09:26 AM

To elaborate, I fished a buddies Tatula a few different times chasing tributary Springers this last Spring. Didn't care for it and haven't been particularly fond of other low pro reels I've fished outside of the Shimano line.
Posted by: Brewer

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 10:26 AM

I've opened up many of the reels mentioned. The clutch pawl is the common Achilles heel. This is the part that wears down and causes the spool to not reingauge when the crank is turned.

Only Daiwa has addressed this part issue.
Posted by: MPM

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 03:46 PM

I got a Tatula 100 HSL and liked it so much I bought a second one.

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 04:21 PM

Ended up with a Tatula Type R CT100XS lefty. 8:1 retrieve. Gonna go yard on some fall steelies this weekend. Report to follow...on the reel I wont spill any beans on the fish lol
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 07:14 PM

To elaborate, I fished a buddies Tatula a few different times chasing tributary Springers this last Spring. Didn't care for it and haven't been particularly fond of other low pro reels I've fished outside of the Shimano line.

Man I showed you my Tatula the other day and you said you had never seen one rofl

Re: New reel shopping - 10/13/17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: mreyns_tgl

Man I showed you my Tatula the other day and you said you had never seen one rofl

Memory is a bit foggy on occasion laugh
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: New reel shopping - 10/14/17 04:36 PM

Daiwa is good for sticking with designs and that keeps the parts stream running.
Shimano wants to be bleeding edge and will abandon designs more readily.

I still like Shimano and can't wear out the Curado B models.
The only thing I've worn out is the bearing that is captive on the spool shaft.
Posted by: eswan

Re: New reel shopping - 10/14/17 09:06 PM

My reel line up is slowly going to daiwa. Started with 2 lexas and now 2 procyons. I am extremely pleased with the performance from both reels. I will be buying 2-4 more procyons when sportco does there sales in December. Those reels are money for the price. They've seen some major abuse from springers to hot summer runs.
Posted by: Denham

Re: New reel shopping - 10/14/17 10:37 PM

Would have suggested the Tatula SV however it seems I'm a bit late. Very similar in performance to the higher end Daiwas and can be had well below retail on fleabay.

Re: New reel shopping - 10/15/17 08:40 PM

Ok so I purchased a Daiwa Tatula CT type R. 8:1 retrieve. It casts a 2 bead slinky as far as I will ever need to throw one with NO backlashes. Reel is smooth. Feels very solid. Fits nicely in my hand. Butter smooth drag. Handled some hot steelhead and a couple salmon with zero issues. I would recommend it , and if one were to search you could grab one for around 130. My next purchase is gonna be the zillion. My Daiwa fuego is still going strong over a decade later. Basically I am a fan.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: New reel shopping - 10/18/17 04:18 PM

If you don't mind the 6.3 retreive it's $99 here:
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/daiwa-ta...ldCatid=3918010

My cabelas revo drag is completely toast now so this should be a good replacement.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: New reel shopping - 10/18/17 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Curado B is still the best lo-pro reel I've ever used/owned. Nothing since has come close to performance/durability.

If a reel doesn't last at least 10 yrs without a hiccup, it's a POS.

I've got hooks in my arsenal that have outlived some of the newer reels I've purchased.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: New reel shopping - 10/18/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Curado B is still the best lo-pro reel I've ever used/owned. Nothing since has come close to performance/durability.

If a reel doesn't last at least 10 yrs without a hiccup, it's a POS.

I've got hooks in my arsenal that have outlived some of the newer reels I've purchased.

+1000
Ground-breaking design.
Solved all of the problems of the 70's and 80's multi-piece frame reels.

Except they were *green and had no "Happy Switch".
Pretty much a perfect design, though.
Not a good candidate for "Planned Obsolescence".

*Very early models were orange...affectionately known as "The Tomato".

"Hey Terry, what's this behind the seat ?"

"Ah, it's that new Shimano."

"Why aren't you fishing it ?"

"I dunno, it's green."
Posted by: Denham

Re: New reel shopping - 10/18/17 11:56 PM

If the Curado B is the best reel you've ever used, then clearly you haven't fished many reels...

Re: New reel shopping - 10/20/17 09:59 AM

Creatures of habit I suppose. My red fuego fishes the same now as it did in 2005. And I beat my tackle up. Its funny but for spinning reels I am all about Shimano.