Steelhead Smolt Plants

Posted by: RUNnGUN

Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 08:40 AM

This coming seasons return of winter and summer smolt plants are out. Pretty dismal list and numbers from what used to be. Really shows how much has been lost when you compare to 30yrs ago.

Steelhead Smolt Plants 2016
Posted by: jgreen

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 08:49 AM

Someone on this list is doing the right thing....to bad. [img]https://imgur.com/a/BXppx[/img]
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 09:10 AM

30 years ago? Seems like half as many streams get planted as10, maybe 15 years ago. Everyone's crowded into a few lousy areas now unless you want to fish for dwindling wild steelhead, which tend to get shut down as the hatchery plants were the only justification for a fishery in the first place.

Yes theres still a few fish to be had but the experience is gone now, everywhere is overrun by guides and the gopro/facebook army.
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 10:06 AM

I realize the returns on the Snoqualmie weren't too great even when they were planting it but from this, am I to assume that there will be a few fish coming into the Snoqualmie this year? Sure seems like it. Might have to wet a line for old-time sakes. :-)
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 11:06 AM

A quick glance and I am left wondering how many plants the department is actually paying for. It looks like the majority are either from Mitigation funds, from tribal / Federal hatcheries, or Mitchell funds.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 11:56 AM

why is it, when i open the page, the top of it says 2013 Steelhead Smolt Plants, yet the article states 2016?
Posted by: Steeldrifter

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 01:25 PM

11,800 summer run in the Green, and only at Soos, is a complete joke. Why waste your time with such a dismal plant? Something is wrong right there. Perhaps our co managers ,miss print, or ? WTF........And a brand new hatchery is being built on Soos creek as I type. Also the steelhead smolt are being reared at old Palmer plant and icy because of better water quality so why only plant 11,800? We have some serious issues.........Complete Crap!
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/03/17 01:56 PM

I don't fish the green so I'm probably talking out of my a$$ but I thought they were still doing some sort of broodstock testing on that River so maybe that's why the 11800? Well, that would make sense either if their summer runs so who the heck knows.
Posted by: Jake Dogfish

Re: Steelhead Smolt Plants - 11/04/17 06:52 AM

they are still converting wild winter fish into hatchery stock as far as I know.
"Broodstock"