YGTBFK, right?

Posted by: eyeFISH

YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 12:33 AM

No kidding....

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/201...of-federal-law/
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 08:36 AM

If they knew the law existed why would they use foreign materials to build it?
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 09:33 AM

Well, gee. Regulations are regulations. I deal with them at work every day, and nobody asks for a waiver for me if I fvck up and don't comply with the regulations that affect our operations.

I'm not sure why this should be any different.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN
If they knew the law existed why would they use foreign materials to build it?

What did they know and when did they know it? And who might "they" be in this FUBAR? Owner or shipyard? Goes to who it is that our Senator is trying to bail out.

As is pointed out the Jones Act isn't exactly new and the magnitude of overage would appear to be far more than a minor mfgring variance.

Oops!!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 10:27 AM

One less trawler raping the sea.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 11:34 AM

China has all but killed off American steel. You can barely find it and when you do, you pay a premium for premium materials. I can't say I blame the company for going with cheaper steel, but they should have known the regs. Seems to be an outdated law considering the changes to market forces over the past 20 years. I hope Trump's steel tariffs go through. Get Pittsburg working again and have better steel quality to boot.

That being said, fvck all Trawlers. Especially this mega sized one.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
China has all but killed off American steel. You can barely find it and when you do, you pay a premium for premium materials. I can't say I blame the company for going with cheaper steel, but they should have known the regs. Seems to be an outdated law considering the changes to market forces over the past 20 years. I hope Trump's steel tariffs go through. Get Pittsburg working again and have better steel quality to boot.

That being said, fvck all Trawlers. Especially this mega sized one.

True about American steel but the article implied that it was the value added by having specific steel components cut and bent in Europe which led to the violation. But again, that is no excuse unless that work simply cannot be accomplished within the U.S. to meet Jones Act requirements and even then ask first.
Posted by: snit

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Well, gee. Regulations are regulations. I deal with them at work every day, and nobody asks for a waiver for me if I fvck up and don't comply with the regulations that affect our operations.

I'm not sure why this should be any different.

YEP! Its always referenced in the job specifications before I even bid the project....
Posted by: Keta

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/17/18 04:06 PM

A low value species, Yellowfin sole dragging is one of the dirtiest fisheries there is. They used to get 900 metric ton quota of halibut to throw back dead. I think it is less now,somewhere in the 70 metric ton range. Also concerns about ground gear killing a lot of king crab. Hard to believe new vessels are being built for this travesty.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/18/18 07:03 AM

Hardest part of reading that (for me) was the locations of all the players in the fight. Anacortes. Seattle.

I like to point fingers at Alaska for their open ocean fisheries. The hell of it is that it's Washingtonians financing and operating those fisheries, from top to bottom. This should help us understand why the commercial lobby is so powerful in our state, which in turn explains why the status quo is the best we can hope for (and why something worse is all we should expect to get in the future).
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/18/18 10:28 AM

But Patty Murray is steward of the invironment. Nothing a good carbon tax can’t fix.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/20/18 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
Bucket and Knowsfish might be able to swoop in and get a deal, convert it to a sportfisher and partyboat.

I would be happy with that old scow, but Bucket would probably want it to be 4-ft longer rofl
Posted by: Jake Dogfish

Re: YGTBFK, right? - 02/20/18 05:49 PM

They just needed to make this ship 10x bigger.