Skagit rally

Posted by: Salmo g.

Skagit rally - 03/05/18 11:24 AM

Yeah, we can have that kind of rally too, but only once the Skagit fishing season re-opens. Meanwhile, it will really, really help to rally the troops and phone and email NMFS Regional Administrator, Barry Thom and express your support for re-opening the Skagit now, not later. Barry is the guy who will sign the Record of Decision (ROD) that gives the approval to WDFW to open the season. Even though the deadline for public comment was Jan. 8, NMFS is hearing from the vocal opposition to the proposed Skagit steelhead season. If you want to fish, it can only help the cause if you express your support by ringing Barry's phone off the hook and flooding his email. If you want to extend your support of Occupy Skagit to the goal line, this is your chance to make a difference. Thanks.

Barry.Thom@noaa.gov

503-231-6266

If Barry's secretary who answers the phone and checks his email gets swamped and irritated, she will make sure Barry gets this done.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 11:36 AM

Email sent will call next. Who is the vocal opposition and what is their beef?

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 02:14 PM

Can neither confirm nor deny identity of the opposition, but during the public comment period that ended Jan. 8, a certain dot org and members want the Skagit to re-open if, and only if, their particular set of management measures are implemented. Problem is, those measures go far beyond what is required of management plans for any species anywhere in the world, and will never happen. I guess that means they want the Skagit closed to recreational fishing forever.
Posted by: Blktailhunter

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: RUNnGUN

W.F.C. Is my guess.

They want the Skagit designated a wild steelhead gene bank.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 04:03 PM

The Skagit being a wild steelhead gene bank or not wouldn't affect wild steelhead fishing...it just means no hatchery steelhead are planted.

What I'm guessing they want is flyfishing only, no fishing from a floating device, and blunt hooks required.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

What I'm guessing they want is flyfishing only, no fishing from a floating device, and blunt hooks required.

Sounds good to me. Will there be a dress code that we have to adhere to also?
Posted by: steeleywhopper

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 05:32 PM

Hopefully it’s not bank angling only. I kept my drift boat in hopes of this reopener happening.
Posted by: mitch184

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 07:42 PM

email sent
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Skagit rally - 03/05/18 07:51 PM

Fish on...

Todd

Let’s hope not...

Email sent.
SF

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 01:46 PM

The Skagit being a wild steelhead gene bank or not wouldn't affect wild steelhead fishing...it just means no hatchery steelhead are planted.

Fish on...

Todd

Seems that is the push from them. If that's the case, give them a river and make it fly only w/ said restrictions. Maybe then they would back off a little on the litigation threats. Heck I might even join them on that river and swing a little. I've been Jonesing to swing on my closed home water lately. The conditions are perfect now, and I know there's some beauties around.
Posted by: _WW_

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 03:28 PM

I think you guys are missing the mark. It ain't about fly vs gear.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: _WW_

I think posting up what it is about would be more helpful, if you know.

wink

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: OLD FB

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 06:49 PM

wink

Fish on...

Todd

Totally agree with this as I attended Occupy 1 & 2 in hopes of getting a wee bit of time back on a river I hold near and dear! Nothing but smoke and mirrors and getting a wee bit tired of being held hostage by what I consider a "radical" group! Go on their FB page and read a bit of what their ideas are and it truly is eye opening!
Posted by: muley77

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 06:50 PM

Phoned in a message to his recorder, and sent a email.

+1 on what Todd said, "Post up what it is about"
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 08:39 PM

Who else? These guys are the PETA of sports fishing... or in any other kind in this case. Let me guess? You'll sue. All in the name of what? Money? Is that what it's about? Back when I was actually a follower of these guys and gave them money every year I tried to raise awareness of a business owner that re-routed a well used spawning creek in order to increase his property size and make it more usable. Well, the fish suffered and now it is a Barren waste where the creek bed used to be. Did they do anything about it? Hell no! They obviously had bigger fish to fry and it wasn't worth their time or money. Better to go after the hatcheries. That's where the money's at obviously. Or at least the agency that governs the hatcheries.

Wild fish conservancy and.....

https://nativefishsociety.org/news-media/to-open-or-not-to-open-the-skagit-steelhead-fishery

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 08:56 PM

Maybe this isn't what everyone's talking about but it sure seems to be throwing a wrench into the process no?

Conclusion: "A proposal to conduct directed harvest of an ESA-listed Puget Sound steelhead population, whether lethal tribal or recreational catch and release (C&S), is undeniably controversial. Both the RMP and the Proposed Evaluation and Pending Determination (PEPD) fail to provide the detailed analysis that is necessary to assure the public that implementation of the RMP will not place the wild Skagit steelhead population at unnecessary risk. We therefore urge NMFS to withdraw the PEPD and develop an Environmental Impact Statement regarding the development of the co-managers’ plan for harvest of the population. Thank you for your consideration and commitment to recover Threatened Puget Sound Steelhead."

Re: Skagit rally - 03/06/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

Who else? These guys are the PETA of sports fishing... or in any other kind in this case. Let me guess? You'll sue. All in the name of what? Money? Is that what it's about? Back when I was actually a follower of these guys and gave them money every year I tried to raise awareness of a business owner that re-routed a well used spawning creek in order to increase his property size and make it more usable. Well, the fish suffered and now it is a Barren waste where the creek bed used to be. Did they do anything about it? Hell no! They obviously had bigger fish to fry and it wasn't worth their time or money. Better to go after the hatcheries. That's where the money's at obviously. Or at least the agency that governs the hatcheries.

Wild fish conservancy and.....

https://nativefishsociety.org/news-media/to-open-or-not-to-open-the-skagit-steelhead-fishery

PETA of sports fishing? An apt description! Sad and this "My Way Or The Highway Attitude" must go!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 04:47 AM

Go to this website and read the article and then the paper below it by the WFC.

I would attach the file to this post but the forum software here has a size limitation that won't allow me to do so.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 06:47 AM

One thing is for sure. If the Skagit in fact does open. If I or any of my buddies see any of those WFC, NFC, WSC or whatever they are, on the river, they gonna get a mouthful. Or, are they part of the wealthy think they are elite, been there done that crowd, that only travels the world to get there fishing fix on other peoples home water?
Posted by: BW

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 08:20 AM

WW, so it sounds like everyone here understands exactly what they want. A pie in the sky idea that will never work and will cost a number of people their jobs and destroy a multi million dollar industry so some fly casters can have the river to themselves to practice their casting.

I used to be a fly fisher and it was attitude that drove me away. You see it at just about every fly shop.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 09:00 AM

I left a voice mail voicing support for an immediate opening.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 09:31 AM

Whoa! Take a breath folks. Please.

This is not a fly v gear thing. Or a PETA thing. And Occupy Skagit is NOT a fly fishing only group. OS is a mixed group of anglers whose sole mission has been to re-open the Skagit system to the same wild steelhead season that we had from 1981 through 2009, that has been closed since the 2010 season.

OS has encouraged, maybe been a catalyst, and the state and tribal co-managers finally developed a Resource Management Plan (RMP) as required under ESA regulations. NMFS has been reviewing the Plan since Nov. 2016 and preparing the Preliminary Evaluation (PEPD) and Environmental Assessment (EA) and biological opinion (BO) since that time. The PEPD was open for public comment from Dec. 8, 2017 through Jan. 8, 2018.

Most of the comments were supportive, some were opposed, and some were supportive but with conditions. Certain of those commenters claimed to support a Skagit season, but want to wait for recover (without identifying what recovery is or even looks like), or want more resource data - to a degree never before done anywhere for any fishery in the world that I know of, and more detailed monitoring than what the Plan specifies, which would amount to far more monitoring than NMFS requires for any other fishing that occurs where ESA-listed fish are present. In short, these comments intend to require conditions that will never be met. That leads me to believe that those commenters do not really support having a season and would prefer that the river remain closed forever.

I began receiving information the other day that even though the comment period closed a couple months ago that NMFS was getting a lot of last minute input in opposition to the Skagit season. That is why I asked interested anglers who support the season to contact Barry, just in case he has any lingering doubts.

In candor, is the RMP perfect? Of course it isn't. Perfect is not one of the choices on the menu. Those who insist on perfect, like some of the opponents, will never get a season. Nonetheless, make no mistake, the Skagit has been the most conservatively managed steelhead fishery in the entire state. Skagit steelhead are not endangered nor threatened. The Skagit River is a victim of geography. If the Skagit were north of the 49th parallel and in B.C., it would be the healthiest steelhead population in southern B.C. It can support the traditional CNR recreational fishery and the incidental and directed take by the treaty tribes. The Plan is designed to continue the conservative management of Skagit steelhead.

This is not a gear type issue. It's not a treaty v non-treaty issue. The issue I've asked you to weigh in on is between middle of the road reasonable people like you and me, and the radical, I want it may way or no way of certain dot org commenters. Besides, we already know that in a perfect world the regulations would just be designed to keep Todd and his pink worms off the rivers (jk).

Sg

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 11:51 AM

Thanks, WW, I had seen that one.

There is a letter there that is signed by several groups opposing the opening.

RUNnGUN,

Be strong with your opinions on the WFC or NFC on the opener...but do know that the WSC has come out with full support of the fishery, as they should, the closures of the CnR fisheries in Puget Sound in 2000 was the reason for the creation of the Wild Steelhead Coalition.

I think that over the years they have frequently ended up being exactly the same as the NFS or WFC, but on this one they seem to have remembered that they were formed by anglers who were trying to strike a balance between making fish museum pieces and being able to fish for them...and I am very gratified to see it.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 12:27 PM

Here is the Native Fish Society's letter in opposition to the opening:

It is signed by:

Native Fish Society
Wild Fish Conservancy
Pacific Biodiversity Institute
Conservation Angler

Here is the Wild Steelhead Coalition's letter in support of the opening:

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/2018/01/skagit-basin-steelhead-management-public-meetings/

The WSC is, however, advocating for no fishing out of boats, and I do not agree with that position. Couching that position in terms of reducing impacts by reducing access to fish is not a particularly bad idea, but it smacks of rather serious hypocrisy to not advocate for banning motor boats in this fishery altogether.

It seems that the increased access to fish only is a problem when it is gear anglers fishing out of boats...it apparently is not a problem with fly anglers who scoot up and down the river all day in jet sleds to access more and more river bars to swing off of.

It's good for the goose, but not for the gander, is how it looks.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 04:22 PM

Here is the Native Fish Society's letter in opposition to the opening:

It is signed by:

Native Fish Society
Wild Fish Conservancy
Pacific Biodiversity Institute
Conservation Angler

Here is the Wild Steelhead Coalition's letter in support of the opening:

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/2018/01/skagit-basin-steelhead-management-public-meetings/

The WSC is, however, advocating for no fishing out of boats, and I do not agree with that position. Couching that position in terms of reducing impacts by reducing access to fish is not a particularly bad idea, but it smacks of rather serious hypocrisy to not advocate for banning motor boats in this fishery altogether.

It seems that the increased access to fish only is a problem when it is gear anglers fishing out of boats...it apparently is not a problem with fly anglers who scoot up and down the river all day in jet sleds to access more and more river bars to swing off of.

It's good for the goose, but not for the gander, is how it looks.

Fish on...

Todd

Point noted. Struggling with the fishing out of a boat/jet boat issue. On one hand it's a shame to limit opportunities for all. On the other I can see how it could offer some safe zones for fish. I could work with either one, however IMO bombing around on the Sauk in a sled is a tough one to swallow. Thanks for sharing WSC letter. What is the difference between WFC and NFC. Both titles are included in their letter.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 05:47 PM

Boat fishing regulations are a little bit tricky. Under the standard "Special Gear Regulations" one cannot fish from a motor boat. On the Skagit mainstem that was modified so that one cannot fish from a motor boat with the motor running. This was a waiver created because boon-dogging was the most popular method for drift fishing with conventional steelhead gear, where the old Skagit scows were controlled by an oarsman with a set of "sweeps" (oars) as the boat drifted down through a piece of water. Nowadays with jet sleds equipped with a main jet powered motor, a gas kicker, and an electric, they might be SOL if they don't have a set of oars to use while drifting and fishing, but you cannot use a motor while fishing under Special Gear Regulations.

As for the Sauk, anglers are (or were) allowed to fish from drift boats or rafts, but not a boat equipped with a motor. WDFW cannot regulate navigation, so some folks have run jet boats (me included) up the Sauk and then got out and bank fished. A caveman however, would sit on a log, or maybe a dugout canoe, and fish from that . . .

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Main stem, sleds and DBs -ok. Open tributaries of the Skagit, if any - no sleds, and DBs or rafts for transport only.

So easy a cave person could satisfy...

See nothing wrong with that. Back in the day it was open to sleds but not under power, only paddling.

Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 06:03 PM

If that’s what they decide I don’t want any Spey guys bitching and moaning about a bunch of spoon and drift guys ruining “their” bar.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/07/18 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Boat fishing regulations are a little bit tricky. Under the standard "Special Gear Regulations" one cannot fish from a motor boat. On the Skagit mainstem that was modified so that one cannot fish from a motor boat with the motor running. This was a waiver created because boon-dogging was the most popular method for drift fishing with conventional steelhead gear, where the old Skagit scows were controlled by an oarsman with a set of "sweeps" (oars) as the boat drifted down through a piece of water. Nowadays with jet sleds equipped with a main jet powered motor, a gas kicker, and an electric, they might be SOL if they don't have a set of oars to use while drifting and fishing, but you cannot use a motor while fishing under Special Gear Regulations.

As for the Sauk, anglers are (or were) allowed to fish from drift boats or rafts, but not a boat equipped with a motor. WDFW cannot regulate navigation, so some folks have run jet boats (me included) up the Sauk and then got out and bank fished. A caveman however, would sit on a log, or maybe a dugout canoe, and fish from that . . .

I remember many years ago seeing John farrar's Boat flying up and down the lower Sauk. Speaking of the main stem, I intentionally built my 17 foot jet boat with oars so I could have the flexibility.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 06:21 AM

WFC, NFC, WSC or whatever they are,

If you don't know what they are, how will you know 'em when you see 'em?
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 06:49 AM

The kicker for WDFW is that they can manage time, place, and manner. They can't prohibit you from being in a boat on a body of water. They can prohibit "fishing from" or "hunting from" a boat. Not even sure if they can flat out ban motorized boats from a waterbody.

The actual use of the waterways is, I believe, a county or city responsibility.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 07:11 AM

WFC, NFC, WSC or whatever they are,

If you don't know what they are, how will you know 'em when you see 'em?

I know what they look like.

As far as sleds legal to run around on the Sauk, even for transportation? I can see a mess a comin. Can regulate them off by limiting horsepower. Would like to see a 24 footer trying to run up on a 9.9.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 07:41 AM

Regulating horsepower is up to the County. Talk to them about it.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 08:01 AM

The Sauk and Skagit are "Wild and Scenic Rivers", which I believe prohibits motor boats...but the Skagit has an exemption from that requirement.

The Sauk does not.

I think that's the current situation.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 08:54 AM

This conversation isn't going as I'd hoped.

I've been fishing the Skagit and Sauk Rivers since 1972. It has been rare for me to experience any conflict between gear types or boat and bank fishing methods. There have been a few times while I was fly fishing from the bank and boon-doggers in a boat floated and fished through the water I was fishing, but overall it has been really uncommon. So in my opinion all the ranting about fly and conventional gear conflict and boat and bank fishing conflict is being way over blown.

The conflict that has me concerned, and I hope it concerns you as well, is between those who want the river to remain closed to steelhead fishing and those of us who want the season to open. That is why I started this thread, and I thank all of you who have called or emailed to express your support for the Skagit season.

Sg
Posted by: Backtrollin

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 09:51 AM

Email sent
Posted by: BrianM

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 11:43 AM

In my view, WFC's letter looks like it is designed to set up (or at least make it look to NMFS like WFC is setting up), a legal challenge under NEPA. That's why, among other things, the letter repeatedly asserts that the proposed fishery is "controversial." (The degree a proposed action is controversial in terms of environmental impacts is one factor NMFS must consider in determining whether an EIS is required.)

If NMFS were to conclude, based on its EA, that an EIS is required, we can kiss goodbye not only this season, but likely next year's season as well, because preparation of an EIS normally takes well over one year (especially for an agency as bogged down in NEPA and ESA paperwork as NMFS).

The good news is that NMFS can respond to the concerns raised in WFC's letter in its EA (or elsewhere in the administrative record) and thereby create a more favorable record should a legal challenge be brought. That may be one reason for NMFS's delay in issuing the go-ahead (just my speculation).

Although I moved about 6 years ago down to Oregon, I still dream of returning to fish the Sauk and Skagit at least a few more times before father time catches up to me. Those rivers and their steelhead are simply magnificent. A sincere thanks to all who have volunteered their blood, sweat and tears to the effort to re-open the Skagit and Sauk.

Here's my email.

Mr. Thom – The Skagit River steelhead harvest management plan is duly conservative; DOJ has good lawyers to defend your EA; call the Wild Fish Conservancy’s bluff; open the Skagit!

Best regards,

Brian McLachlan
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 11:53 AM

Emails sent to Both Mr Thom and Susan Bishop.

The sand is slipping through the hourglass on a season, time to sh!t and get off the pot!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 12:09 PM

I agree that the important part is getting it open, and I also agree that gear conflicts are very minimal...but confining us all to the small amount of decent fishing bars on the Skagit and Sauk will certainly increase the conflicts.

I was just noting that it's not surprising that attempting to limit fishing from boats negatively affects all but one type of fishing gear...and that the purported reason for it...decreasing access to the fish so they can have a better chance at avoiding the fishery...is hypocritically addressed only by stopping one type of fisher, but not the other (who uses sleds to access lots of water they'd have one shot at if they confined themselves to drift boats and rafts).

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 01:55 PM

Just a thought about bank fishing from observations....

Steelhead that are close to spawning generally lay in tail outs...generally in 2-5' of water.

Bank fisherman (gear type excluded) tend to target these fish as they are aggressive and gear presentation can be much easier. Thus equating to a fish that is easier to catch.

Problem is, many sport fishermen unknowingly walk all over these spawning areas and this time of year those footprints land on reds.

Gear types, fishing from boats, walking on the bank...however you want to slice it, all C&R fishing has a negative impact.

We, as anglers, must accept all methods of enjoying these fish. (except bait)

If there are enough fish to fish over and the run can continue to be sustainable then lets all cut the [Bleeeeep!] and work together. This bickering has been going on for far too long.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/08/18 07:13 PM

Backtrollin brings up a great point. As I witnessed a group of 4 bank fisherman last weekend wading right through a well known spawning flat. Thankfully it is probably a little early, but nonetheless. I cringed watching them shuffle, stumble and hop through the flat.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/09/18 07:13 AM

This conversation isn't going as I'd hoped.

I've been fishing the Skagit and Sauk Rivers since 1972. It has been rare for me to experience any conflict between gear types or boat and bank fishing methods. There have been a few times while I was fly fishing from the bank and boon-doggers in a boat floated and fished through the water I was fishing, but overall it has been really uncommon. So in my opinion all the ranting about fly and conventional gear conflict and boat and bank fishing conflict is being way over blown.

The conflict that has me concerned, and I hope it concerns you as well, is between those who want the river to remain closed to steelhead fishing and those of us who want the season to open. That is why I started this thread, and I thank all of you who have called or emailed to express your support for the Skagit season.

Sg

I agree. We/I, could be overreacting to such a great opportunity. But I am sorry to say this is not 1972, or even pre 2000 berfore things really started to change. I know how you feel because I have been fortunate enough to have steelheaded back then. Things are different now. I fear aggressiveness to obtain an edge for success is at it's peak now more than ever, with little respect for the fish, people, or traditional historical river etiquette. Etiquette, that presently scarcely exists. Etiquette that I learned, not to low hole either on the bank or in a boat, to start atop of a run and keep moving working a stretch. To work behind someone that got there first, or pass and move on. Part of the reason I hardly winter fish any more. I think you can thank the crowds and guides for that. The pressure to produce for paying customers has fd up the experience for others. That's why it has come to a debate on what regulations still might produce the 1972 or pre 2000 river fishing experience. That's why BC has a "Class" river system. Maybe a system that would work for the Skagit? Christ, now I'm probably starting to sound like a WFC guy. I hope not and am not. I hope none of the negatives in this discussion comes fruition, and if I/we get to participate, I will do my part to make the best happen. Thanks to you and everyone else that has got us this far.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/09/18 07:21 AM

R&G hits a really sore nail square on the head. Population has grown. Even if the number of anglers or hunters hasn't changed, the amount of available land and access has. There are significantly less places open to fish or hunt.

40 years ago you could have joined what were the hordes at the Cowlitz, or gone many other streams and run into nobody else. The complaint from the Coast as Pugetopolis closes everything so we pile out there. Was the Skok "that bad" in the 70s or 80s or did it get that was as the only game in town?

Available area to recreate is declining. The most likely solution will be either WDFW finding some way to limit access, behavior will improve, or folks will go elsewhere.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/09/18 09:58 AM

With only a few weeks remaining until the end of April, how about we try the 2018 season. If the feared "parade of horribles" does occur, then we ask WDFW to make the necessary social engineering modifications, whatever that might be.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/09/18 01:18 PM

With only a few weeks remaining until the end of April, how about we try the 2018 season. If the feared "parade of horribles" does occur, then we ask WDFW to make the necessary social engineering modifications, whatever that might be.

Salmo you know I kind of had a feeling if the foot dragging went on long enough they could put it off till next year.

On a lighter note where might the long awaited announcement come from? Will it be like a Papal vote with white or black smoke from a chimney? laugh

Re: Skagit rally - 03/09/18 02:23 PM

WDFW has budget & staff for a 6 week season already hired, but since we arent fishing, they are on to other tasks burning creel money we should be fishing with. Word is that once NOAA approves, we could be fishing in hours. E-communications are drafted and await the send button. It's more likely that once it is approved we would have 48 hours until we can start.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/12/18 04:27 PM

I've just heard that NOAA approval will take at least one more week. Sand is slipping through the hourglass on a decent season, this sucks.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/12/18 04:31 PM

Shoot, I heard earlier this morning that NMFS would be finished before the end of the week, "barring unforeseen circumstances."
Posted by: steeleywhopper

Re: Skagit rally - 03/14/18 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: BroodBuster
If that’s what they decide I don’t want any Spey guys bitching and moaning about a bunch of spoon and drift guys ruining “their” bar.

Get 15 buddies together and turn that WFC fly flicking bar into a pallet burning, beer drinking, Plunking bar. Fuk the WFC!
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Skagit rally - 03/14/18 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: steeleywhopper
Originally Posted By: BroodBuster

Get 15 buddies together and turn that WFC fly flicking bar into a pallet burning, beer drinking, Plunking bar. Fuk the WFC!

Is there a sign up sheet? Should we make it a potluck? Would some loud rock and a stripper or three be in bad taste?
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: Skagit rally - 03/14/18 07:57 AM

I'll start building plunking shacks...... If you're in need of plywood or blue tarps don't expect to find any within 50 miles of the Skagit. grin

rofl

Re: Skagit rally - 03/16/18 09:55 PM

March 17th approaches tonight....Tick....Tock.... Sand is slipping through the hourglass of this "season" and yes it definitely sucks... SMH tonight!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/17/18 07:07 AM

Well, whats the latest? With my Columbia Springer gear just about ready, and the prime timing coming close, I am almost ready to abandon this opener and go for some 5 star, blue ribbon, creme de la creme, prime Spring Chinook for the table. Other buddies prepping for EW trout. Someone should be held accountable for this delay. Can anything be done? I think some civil disobedience is in order.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/17/18 09:03 AM

I'm told that the EA is finished, but the "ESA stuff" (meaning the BO I presume) is not. Starting Monday morning it wouldn't hurt to fill Barry Thom's email and phone again, mentioning that the Feb. 1 - Apr. 30 season is now half over, and no one has been able to wet a line, thanks to NMFS' delay. Let's try this again.

Sg

Re: Skagit rally - 03/17/18 12:28 PM

The season being half over but nobody being able to fish would be important if anybody at NOAA actually fished steelhead. The fishery is nothing more than numbers on paper.
Posted by: fishbreath

Re: Skagit rally - 03/20/18 09:32 AM

I made the call this morning to Barry Thom, NMFS Regional Administrator but only was able to talk to his secretary. No news yet but she made it sound like she's not getting that many phone calls from sportsman. She did give me another NMFS administrator's phone number who is suppose to also have a hand in getting the Skagit open. I didn't get his last name but his first name is Peter and his work number is 206-526-6734. I'd say if we want the Skagit open this season, WE better start bugging them a whole bunch more!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/20/18 05:15 PM

I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April. Only new rules is no fishing from a motorized craft in the Sauk. Go time.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/20/18 06:18 PM

Perfect. Just in time for my Columbia Springer week off up to it's closing. Bassturds! Wonder if they planned it to reduce competition? They probably read this board! Well, it worked on me. I'm goin for table fare. It will be a week into before I endeavor. Oh well, I'll take leftovers when I return. If it is true, thanks SG and to all that made it happen! Maybe a trend will be set for an earlier season and more rivers in the future. Good luck to all and tread lightly!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 07:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April. Only new rules is no fishing from a motorized craft in the Sauk. Go time.

I assume this actually means "no motorized craft on the Sauk", since no fishing from a motorized craft is what the rule always has been?

I hope it means that...as this actually addresses my concern posted above wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 07:12 AM

I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April.

Anyone got any good tips for this fishery?

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 07:15 AM

I just heard the Skagit will open next Thursday, 5 days a week Wednesday through Sunday through the end of April.

Fish on...

Todd

LOL.

Yeah. Get there early (or really late).

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 07:52 AM

Fish on...

Todd

I'll ask my friend Chuggy, he always has some good tips, no matter what.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 08:02 AM

I have a feeling that I will be seeing Chuggy up there! Haven't seen him in a while, either.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Smalma

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 09:32 AM

Todd -
The best advice I can give you if want to catch a fish is too head to the coast!!

Curt

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Todd -
The best advice I can give you if want to catch a fish is too head to the coast!!

Curt

Lol...noted wink

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Todd -

Curt

Nice try, Curt, but everyone knows the Skagit's the place to be!
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 10:01 AM

Hope this gets done this time, next Thursday will be fun

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 10:25 AM

Yep, Gonna be a great time. I don't care how many people are on the river.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 11:36 AM

When can we expect an official announcement? Through the grapevine is great but the grapevine also said this fishery was going to open weeks ago.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/21/18 05:09 PM

Just got off the phone. The advice, "don't believe everything you read on the internet."

WDFW can get more than one update per day from NMFS and sometimes does. There are folks at NMFS that would like to see this as a done deal. And there are folks who couldn't care less about the effect this is having on anglers and business and have no understanding that there is NO biological link between these necessary administrative and legal documents and the status and health of Skagit steelhead. I had no idea whatever that this would be playing out like it has. At this point I'm only confident that we will more likely than not get something of what's left of this season. Not how I would have done it.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 09:33 AM

While I am all for C&R fishing, I am beginning to wonder if we are getting to the point of no return?

Salmo g. can you expand on the spawn timing in the Skagit system? My understanding is that peak spawn happens in the last two weeks of april. Am i correct?

If that is the case how many of these ripe hens are going to blow their eggs all over our waders and on top of the gravel when we catch them? How many guys are going to walk on redds? How many fish have exerted their stored fats/energy to get to the point of spawning only to use that last ounce of energy fighting a 12' spey rod/float rod?

I would have been more comfortable with a mid march-mid april season.

Can you please expand on the impact of fishing in this time frame? I am not sure if it is the right time to send 100's of anglers to go after these fish.

I am still forming my opinion, but I am considering hanging up my steelhead rod for this opener if the net effect is a greater than 10% catch mortality.

Could these reasons be whey NMFS is dragging their feet?

your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 10:14 AM

Some good points there. I too thought it strange that the season would be open in that later time frame when historically it hasn’t been open then.

As more and more rumors are spread of an imminent opener it seems more and more likely that it’s not going to open this year. For the sake of my friends that enjoy this fishery I hope that’s not the case.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 10:48 AM

Backtrollin -
Not speaking for Salmo g. it is my understanding that the Skagit/Sauk CnR seasons beginning in the early 1980s ran through April. The north Sound rivers (Skagit and Nooksack) have some of the latest spawning winter steelhead in the State. When the season was first established only about 15% of the winter steelhead spawning had occurred by the end of April. There was nearly as many wild winters spawning after the first of June as spawning before the first of May. Peak spawning typically was in the middle part of May.

Of the nearly 300 miles of steelhead spawning habitat in the Skagit basin less than 20% (45 miles) would be open during the spring CnR season. In other words the season structure on the Skagit/Sauk is much more conservative in terms of interacting with wild spawning steelhead than say on the coast and certainly on SW Washington where on some rivers have year-round seasons with anglers fishing over ESA listed steelhead.

While it is possible that an angler might encounter a "running ripe" female that odds are pretty low. I have fished the spring CnR fishery from its first year and to the best of my recollection I have caught a single wild kelt (a spawned out wild summer steelhead) and a single "running ripe" female out of fairly large sample of wild winters caught.

Finally with the intense in-season monitoring WDFW should be more than able to hold any "impacts" below the allowed levels with the ability to close the fishery via emergency regulations quickly.

Curt
Posted by: JustBecause

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 10:56 AM

Update from yesterday:

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/still-waiting-on-federal-go-ahead-for-spring-skagit-sauk-steelhead/

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 11:45 AM

Smalma, thanks for the info, the spawn timing was a major concern for me. If your eyes tell you these fish can handle the pressure then I may have to lace up my boots.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/22/18 02:56 PM

As for walking through redds...There is no place that I'm aware of in the portion of the river that will be open that a person can wade across. Perhaps a couple side channels on the Sauk will reveal themselves, but for the most part you'll have to risk your life to walk on an active redd in the proposed season and open areas.

I'm sure everyone will have a story of seeing an accessible redd, but these opportunities will be rare.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/23/18 02:31 PM

Backtrollin,

Just to reiterate, Smalma addressed the points you asked me about. And I agree with him, especially about the traditional season running through April, since he had a strong hand in setting the seasons and regulations those 37 years ago. I'll just say that under the proposed regulations, which are very conservative, the biological risks are very low, but the quantity and quality of the hand-wringing on the part of the agencies and a few anglers are very high.

I have never caught a wild kelt in March or April nor a gravid female (one with loose eggs). I did catch some kelts as well as fresh unspawned fish in late May back when the river used to re-open on Memorial Day weekend.

I cannot know how many guys will walk on redds, but since the percentage of total redds before the end of April is low, I'll speculate that not many will be walked on.

These are not the reasons why NMFS is dragging its feet. NMFS is slow because it's a bureaucracy and therefor incapable of doing anything quickly. They also want to make sure all the paperwork is airtight enough to withstand potential litigation. It looks like some of our angling compatriots want to conserve Skagit steelhead by never allowing fishing for them ever again. However, opinions not supported by facts should not carry the day IMO.

Sg

Re: Skagit rally - 03/23/18 02:53 PM

Thank you

Re: Skagit rally - 03/27/18 08:09 PM

Backtrollin,
These are not the reasons why NMFS is dragging its feet. NMFS is slow because it's a bureaucracy and therefor incapable of doing anything quickly. They also want to make sure all the paperwork is airtight enough to withstand potential litigation. It looks like some of our angling compatriots want to conserve Skagit steelhead by never allowing fishing for them ever again. However, opinions not supported by facts should not carry the day IMO.

Sg

March quickly fading in the rear view mirror tonight.......... Bureaucracy? Oh well just biding my time watching the Maury Povich Show and Top Chef re-runs these day..... smile Fish On!

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 07:45 AM

So. Thursday is hear, a day the opener was maybe going to happen. Any new news?

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 08:04 AM

As of last night (at NOF meeting) WDFW relayed that as of then they had not received a the permit from NOAA. WDFW has hired the staff to do the monitoring are ready to go shortly after receiving their permit.

They report that on their weekly calls the last 3 weeks they have been told next week. They have another call today or tomorrow. Next week????

Curt

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 08:20 AM

I heard the other day that the attorneys were taking another look at it. I don't think they get it that if they finish near the end of April it's the same as not doing their jobs at all. It's not like you can move a fishing season.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 09:46 AM

What's the point? Everyone in a race to catch the last one.
Same could be said for the entire OP as well.
No thank you.
Posted by: Gusty

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 10:19 AM

Wow.

This is a prime example of our government and other related agencies complete disconnect from the real world.

As I’ve mentioned in prior posts we need to hold these people and groups to a higher standard.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...insert wide world of sports intro here...

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 10:45 AM

Thanks Smalma and Salmo g for keeping us up to date!
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 11:56 AM

I have got to wonder if any of the analysis they do will be carried over to next year, or if all the time and resources spent be wasted when they don't get the job done. In the private world, they would be getting penalized for everyday we are not fishing. In the end, they would not be paid and perhaps sued for losses. In their world, they probably will wait another week and then apply for over time to get it done by the end of April.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 03:27 PM

Next year's analysis will be based on next year's run size. They will have to evaluate against that run.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 04:42 PM

Looks to me like the state may end up with the 2 week season they wanted in the first place, if we’re “lucky!”

Hiring the employees to run a presumptive 6 week season, well before the season length was set or approved, seems like a pretty big blunder by WDFW on several fronts. I know I’d get fired if I hired a bunch of employees without knowing if or when I’d actually need them.

I’d be curious to know if those people are being paid to perform other tasks, if they’re being paid to do nothing, if they’re sitting around waiting to maybe work etc.

Re: Skagit rally - 03/29/18 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Next year's analysis will be based on next year's run size. They will have to evaluate against that run.

Thanks Carcassman for confirming my suspicions tonight! Nothin' better than job security! thumbs

Re: Skagit rally - 03/30/18 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

That's not how it works. The RMP and PEPD analyze whether fishing under the proposed plan would jeopardize the continued existence and recovery of Skagit steelhead. Since the take limit is graduated according to the estimated run size, the managers and analysts are persuaded that fishing won't interfere with the conservation goal. As an added precaution, the approval of the plan is for five years, at which time the results will be re-analyzed for verification.

Sg

Re: Skagit rally - 03/30/18 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: ReefSkunk
Looks to me like the state may end up with the 2 week season they wanted in the first place, if we’re “lucky!”

Hiring the employees to run a presumptive 6 week season, well before the season length was set or approved, seems like a pretty big blunder by WDFW on several fronts. I know I’d get fired if I hired a bunch of employees without knowing if or when I’d actually need them.

I’d be curious to know if those people are being paid to perform other tasks, if they’re being paid to do nothing, if they’re sitting around waiting to maybe work etc.

The state didn't ever advocate for a two week season. That was the remark of the regional biologist before he was given the authorization and budget to hire technicians to do the monitoring work.

It takes time to hire and train personnel, so WDFW hired technicians on the time frame provided to them by NMFS. They really expected to be able to begin the fishing season around the first of March. Clearly, NMFS dropped the ball. The technicians have been assigned to other, but lower priority, work until the fishing season opens or the funding runs out.

Sg
Posted by: Great Bender

Re: Skagit rally - 04/01/18 06:45 AM

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/paperwork-a-co...till-up-in-air/

Re: Skagit rally - 04/06/18 07:01 PM

That all important paperwork must have fallen on the floor and got swept up by the janitor.....Oh Well.......... frown
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Skagit rally - 04/06/18 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: OLD FB

That all important paperwork must have fallen on the floor and got swept up by the janitor.....Oh Well.......... frown

The paperwork....uh, Ron Warren took it home to wipe his as$ with it!

Re: Skagit rally - 04/06/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Originally Posted By: OLD FB

The paperwork....uh, Ron Warren took it home to wipe his as$ with it!

Glad to know the shareholders(?) received consideration this year! Can't make it up now can you Bay wolf.... Business as usual I see... Sad...Damn Sad!

Re: Skagit rally - 04/07/18 11:08 AM

Can't blame Ron Warren for this. The ball remains in NMFS' court. They haven't issued the ROD and approval to WDFW yet.
Posted by: Brent K

Re: Skagit rally - 04/12/18 02:36 PM

Probably a good time to head to the coast.
https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2110
Posted by: Gusty

Re: Skagit rally - 04/12/18 03:20 PM

Fishery managers have scheduled openings beginning April 14-15, and continuing April 18-22, and 25-29. The fishery includes the following areas:

Skagit River, from the Dalles Bridge in the town of Concrete to the Cascade River Road Bridge in Marblemount. Fishing from a boat that is under power is prohibited.
Sauk River, from the mouth to the Sauk Prairie Road Bridge in Darrington. Fishing from a boat equipped with an internal combustion motor is prohibited.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/12/18 05:12 PM

It's fer reelz! No thanks to NMFS for missing two-and-one-half months of what should have been a three month season. But props to WDFW for announcing the opening within minutes of receiving the approval from NMFS.
Posted by: LocalTalent

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 03:43 AM

12 days.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: LocalTalent
12 days.

Not what it should have been, but 12 days more than you've had in several years. This is a rare win for sport fishers, and as such, we should celebrate it.

The old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind....
Posted by: GoldDigger

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 08:20 AM

Hope it all doesn't turn the river into a complete circus. Handling a sled with a pair of oars is not a simple task, especially when someone's hooked-up with a toad of a steelhead.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 09:21 AM

If it's a circus, it will be our circus. I may drive my boat around all day tomorrow looking for a rock to stand on and make a cast if some of the predictions about crowding come true. But I'd rather do that than stay home.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Originally Posted By: LocalTalent
12 days.

Not what it should have been, but 12 days more than you've had in several years. This is a rare win for sport fishers, and as such, we should celebrate it.

The old adage, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth" comes to mind....

Personally, it is the same number I've had the last several years. With the short notice and my schedule I won't be fishing it.
Still, I know that the occupy Skagit folks have nearly performed a miracle getting it to this point.
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Skagit rally - 04/13/18 01:23 PM

I can't miss this party

Re: Skagit rally - 04/15/18 07:29 AM

Sauk.....I'm sure it blew out yesterday. Anybody try it anyway?

Re: Skagit rally - 04/15/18 01:15 PM

Salmo and I did some "ceremonial" fishing at the mouth on Saturday. She was pretty dirty.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 09:15 AM

Sauk was not fishable, upper Skagit was, and was also kind enough to lend us several steelhead for a short time before sending them back to do their thing.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 09:34 AM

I didn't catch any steelhead this weekend, but I have never felt so good to fish the Skagit. Mother Nature severely limited the overall opportunity by punching the Sauk River, making the entire Sauk and the Skagit reach from the Sauk downstream to Concrete pretty much unfishable. This created the opportunity for everyone who showed up to prove just how sociable we are by cramming ourselves into the 10-mile stretch from Marblemount to Rockport. A good time was had, until that Saturday afternoon squall hit. Rain never hurt so much as driving my boat through that.

It was all bull trout for me, but my fishing partner captured a nice chrome bright hen on Sunday morning.

I'll be back later this week, but first I need to get new boat trailer lights. I accidentally backed my trailer into a ditch Saturday and smashed the right side taillight. I might as well replace them both and buy a set of LED trailer lights.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 10:22 AM

SalmoG- We tried to find you at rockport in the afternoon but just missed ya. Sorry you got stuck in that squall. I was driving back down to the take out when in hit and thought to myself, Im' glad Im not still on the water!

Nick, Todd, and I went 4-4 Saturday. All Dime bright really healthy Skagit Wild Steelhead. Nick caught his best ever Steelhead after it kicked his ass all over the river...around a 14 lb hen...Todd caught one on his first or second cast, above the cascade and below the put in, that went 11-12 lbs..beautiful buck.... & I didnt catch a fish, but it didnt matter...it was so nice just to be back fishing on the river again.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 12:49 PM

Sky Guy,

I saw Luis at Rockport after I took out. He had already pulled his boat out, and he said you and Todd were around somewhere. I heard of a fair number of fish caught Saturday and not so many on Sunday, but I didn't see or talk with many fishermen on Sunday. It will be nice when all the open area is fishable, but all in all, not a bad opener after eight years with no March or April fishing.

Sg

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 02:04 PM

Nice to hear it fished and kicked out some fish. Cool.
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 06:09 PM

Team Bed Shitters here did good hooking them but not so much landing them. We got spooled by a nice fish on a plug rod missing half its line and I heard from across the river “You fawkin bed shitters!” and Im still chuckling about that.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
Team Bed Shitters here did good hooking them but not so much landing them. We got spooled by a nice fish on a plug rod missing half its line and I heard from across the river “You fawkin bed shitters!” and Im still chuckling about that.

That IS funny. Sounds like everyone's genuinely glad just to be back out there. Pretty cool.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/16/18 09:14 PM

Are you going to tell the 2nd half of that story.......
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: mitch184

Are you going to tell the 2nd half of that story.......

Lol, I figured people would just think I was telling an Evo type story and that I was full of [Bleeeeep!].
Posted by: Steeldrifter

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 08:13 AM

Originally Posted By: stam
This sound like a fun time, glad you guys got to go and do what you do, now if we can get a rally going to get my ass back on the Green... I miss that canyon.

AMEN..........And if we are going to dream, let's dream big. Love to be able to fish the Puyallup and Carbon through the month of March once again! So much lost opportunity.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 08:25 AM

I heard about a fish being hooked on a plug on the upper river. Never heard about a "the rest of the story."

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 08:27 AM

Originally Posted By: stam
This sound like a fun time, glad you guys got to go and do what you do, now if we can get a rally going to get my ass back on the Green... I miss that canyon.

Occupy Green?

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 12:21 PM

"The rest of the story"...

we were below them side drifting and saw the commotion. I yelled my opinion of their actions after I saw and heard a loud pop. Then a couple minutes later, we saw a nice steelhead jump next to us with something pink in its mouth.

We continue side drifting down and this crazed steelhead continues following us down the river cartwheeling.

We get about a mile, maybe more, down stream and BigO snags something. Starts reeling in and when his okie lifts out of the air 5', we realize the braid he hooked has a very tired steelhead on the end of it.

I grab the braid and proceed to hand line in 100 yards of braid. Not without a couple good runs by the fish. Dicey situation with braid in your hands. We get the 12ish lb buck next to the boat and pop the hook.

Later we returned the braid and plug to it's rightful owner.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 12:30 PM

That is one awesome story.....
Posted by: large edward

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 04:24 PM

That is one awesome story.....

Best part is the 100 yards of braid that won't be in the river for the next decade.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/17/18 08:05 PM

I'm still mentally processing our trip for the opener. Amazing people, river and fish. I came away extremely thankful, blessed, lucky & happy. I can't possibly ask for any more than that. thumbs

Re: Skagit rally - 04/18/18 08:49 AM

Considering we were locked out of the spring fishery for nine years, catching a 12 pounder on my second cast just as the sun was just peeking over the mountains and mist was rising off of all the trees around us was one of the best steelhead fishing experiences I have had in a long time.

Catching a couple more was a wonderful bonus, but honestly, I could have been done right there and gone home happy.

I wish I could carve out another couple days to get up there when the Sauk is in shape, that's my only regret.

Watching Nick experience his first true mid-teen gorgeous hen do what they do...make half a dozen long runs punctuated by full body jumps and belly flops...was another highlight.

There is not a better fish in the world than a true spring 14 pound hen.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Skagit rally - 04/18/18 03:57 PM

Mid-teen chrome hens for the win!
Posted by: Beezer

Re: Skagit rally - 04/19/18 07:15 AM

Did a Sauk/Skagit run yesterday that was for the memory book. Passed a group of fly fishers on both sides of the bank so I drifted down the middle to stay out of their water as best as I could. Noticed an old gray beard fisher (maybe a year older than me at best). Shouted out a hello to Smalma. Got a 1/2 mile or so down and thought....I should have shouted out THANK YOU!!!!! If it weren't for Kurt, Steve, Wayne and "Occupy Skagit" a day on the river I'll never forget would not have happened.

Thank you again!!!!

Re: Skagit rally - 04/20/18 05:42 PM

The Skagit tribe has been netting a few Atlantics - 42 miles upriver!

foul

Re: Skagit rally - 04/20/18 11:10 PM

[quote=NickD90]The Skagit tribe has been netting a few Atlantics - 42 miles upriver!

foul

Saw that in the Seattle Times today too........ eek

Re: Skagit rally - 04/21/18 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: NickD90

foul

This most recent catch was...one fish.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/21/18 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90

foul

This most recent catch was...one fish.

They caught more than one fish. Just one of them was an Atlantic. Call it lucky, if you want, that the rest of their catch was most likely steelhead and Chinook.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/22/18 06:16 AM

Yep...I was referring to the one atlantic.

Re: Skagit rally - 04/24/18 05:49 PM

Why would they net 40 miles upriver? Is that normal if we were back 10-15 yrs. during the times of traditional tribal harvest? Thought their traditional netting areas were down above tide water?

Re: Skagit rally - 04/24/18 06:27 PM

Each Tribe has defined Usual and Accustomed areas where they can fish. To fish in the lower river the upper river tribes have to be invited; their U&A is way upriver.

I think the Swinomish/Lower Skagit were the only folks with U&A in the lower river/tidewater.