MA 1 To Close To Salmon

Posted by: RUNnGUN

MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/08/18 05:42 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon...ead_sanctu.html

WTF? Coho fishing has been hot off the Columbia mouth forcing an early quota closure! Coho are early and good sized! Westport just turned on the last couple of days and MA 9 and 10 in Puget Sound was and has been on fire, talk is the best in years. Whats going on? Was supposed to be a down year...warm water blob damage...no food...low numbers... low quotas set? Any explanations? I'm starting to fear Astoria/river closures next, right before my planned week trip.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/08/18 06:25 PM

Fishing on forecasts and quotas. No way to update, at least the managers have not developed one. Especially when you have conservation and allocation concerns you need some sort of hard number beyond "It's hot out there".

Re: MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/08/18 07:21 PM

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2182

More info just out. MA4 included in closure.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/09/18 06:37 AM

Sounds like the best opportunity for good coho fishing we've had since 2014 was dead before it started; killed at North of Falcon.

Re: MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/09/18 07:23 AM

Have another report from a buddy just back from Bamfield BC. They got all their fish daily by 0900. Stellar fishing to 7 miles out. Coho so thick couldn't keep lines in the water. Was a sorting game. Hope they are headed this direction.
Hear is another report I read off BCSportsfishing.com with similar results.

"Yes, was out there late last week. Very similar reports to the Rats Nose. Got there by 7am. 3 Hali's in the bucket by 830 along with 5 Pacific Cod. Put the rods down for springs and it was non-stop action for Coho. Couldn't get the lines down fast enough. Finally went with the biggest plug we could find down 150ft and still hit Coho on it. Likely released 30-40 fish over a 4 hour period. It was a riot. 3 Hali, 3 mid-teen Springs, 6 Coho and 5 Pacific Cod all by noon."
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: MA 1 To Close To Salmon - 08/09/18 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Some might say the rat’s nose should have kept the first four Coho they caught? With all the Coho death that C&R in the salt supposedly incurs...

God I couldn't agree more.

FWIW, at least right now, the clipped ratio has been really high on LaPerouse bank lately, like 75% per report(s). So those large numerous fish are Washington-bound, coming to a (closed) river near you soon!

fb