Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up

Posted by: Anonymous

Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 08:34 PM

When I was a kid I was glued to the set whenever Jerry McKinnis and the Fishin Hole would come on. Bill Dance was always a hoot. My Grandpa turned me on to Gaddabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman. Cool old show. I also dug Mark Sosin's saltwater journal and Flip Pallot's Walkers Cay Chronicles. I know of Fishing the West but that didn't air down here I don't believe.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 08:53 PM

Fishing the West, Jim Conway and American Sportsman.
Also like Exploration NW not so much because of fishing but they went a lot of cool places.
SF
Posted by: Tug 3

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 09:14 PM

Fishing the West was a little bit phony. Sometimes Larry would reel in a coat hanger. Others he would get handed a fish already on the line. But he did go to Northwest places. I really like Jerry McKinnis because of his enthusiasm. Jim Conway was a pioneer, and I met him once when he was trolling for springers near Kalama.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 09:22 PM

I'm trying to remember........
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 09:56 PM

Jerry Mckinnis and his weiner dog Norman steals the show for me. Ahh.. the good old days.
Posted by: SpoonFed

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 10:08 PM

Roland Martin, Still to this day I watch him. He has a pretty neat YouTube chanel that shows the old timer can still crush some largies.
Ooooohh SON that's a big bass.
Posted by: fp

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 10:16 PM

fp did a Fishing the West show back in 84?

fp
Posted by: Lifter99

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/02/19 10:46 PM

Yes Fred, I remember your Fishing The West program with Larry Schoenborn. You were fishing the WF of the Humptulips for steelhead. I remember you got a nice fish about 16 lbs . You and Larry caught a couple of other fish also. I think I still have that episode on an old VHS tape somewhere. I think you were guiding then. Great show.
Posted by: Smalma

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 06:33 AM

Growing up my fishing fix came from the big 3 outdoor magazines!

Curt
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:18 AM

Mine, too, Curt. Particularly Sports Afield. Followed Jason Lucas, who as it turns out, was a an avid fly-flinger even though he wrote a lot about basin'. SA got me hooked, too, on Russell Annabell's stories of AK and Mexico fishing and hunting.
Posted by: FishBear

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:23 AM

I am sure there are some Homer Circle, Outdoor Life fans here... great writer
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Lifter99
Yes Fred, I remember your Fishing The West program with Larry Schoenborn. You were fishing the WF of the Humptulips for steelhead. I remember you got a nice fish about 16 lbs . You and Larry caught a couple of other fish also. I think I still have that episode on an old VHS tape somewhere. I think you were guiding then. Great show.

I made the same VHS tape.....because I fished that part of the river, the "holes" were ones I remembered.....fun times, could make the float and not see another boat.....the good old days!!!!!
Posted by: large edward

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 09:12 AM

Same here, great episode. A couple of exchanges between Fred and Larry were hilarious - like the one when Fred told Larry he was getting a bite, Larry saying no kidding?, then seeing Larry's reaction when his line came up tight with a fish. I think Larry actually points to that fish swimming upriver not realizing he had it hooked. Another funny moment was watching Larry reel backwards with a spinning reel with a fish on. Maybe it was deliberate, but I'd never seen that before. Great show, with no blaring garage-band rock guitar playing in the background either!
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 09:20 AM

I didn't know about any fishing shows on TV when I was a kid, if there were any. And yes, we did have TV back then, altho it was black and white. My hunting and fishing dreams were whetted by reading Outdoor Life and Sports Afield.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: fp
fp did a Fishing the West show back in 84?

fp

There is a guy on youtube that went through all the old episodes and digitally remastered them and uploaded each one. Im sure if you take a minute and poke around you can find it. Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 09:39 AM

As someone who's had the pleasure of fishing with fp (as crew; not the captain), and someone who has never known the West Fork Humptulips to have catchable numbers of steelhead in it, I would LOVE to see that video. Anyone out there with a copy and the chops to digitize it?
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 09:49 AM

Did a quick search on YouTube. There are a lot of episodes listed. Many by guests name. Who are we looking for?
Posted by: Local

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 11:30 AM

FP I also remember you fishing the west fork with Larry. I know this because we were right behind you and my partner went under our drift boat when he tried to climb in the bow while the boat was moving.
Those days are gone but the memories are here to stay. "use to be"

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 11:43 AM

I finally realized the reason I couldn't remember a favorite fishing TV from when I was growing up - there weren't any.

My first introduction to the outdoor related media was as a pre-teen when a neighbor off loaded boxes of old Outdoor Life magazines on me. Kept me busy for months with an emphasis on Jack O'Conner. Very sorry that during my years at WSU there was never an opportunity to meet the man who lived just to the south in Lewiston, ID.

But let me toss out a local media fishing "celebrity" name.....Enos Bradner.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 01:00 PM

In the Northwest ?
What else besides the Lucky Jim Adventure Show ?

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 01:03 PM

I have looked to find it but no luck. I do have a VHS tape and a disc(?)
of it.

I think it was 83/84?

fp
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 01:15 PM

Any fishing show with Larry Dahlberg in it (In Fisherman et al.). LD is perhaps the greatest all-round fisherman in history. His resume is second to none. That may be debatable, but I can't think of anyone that's any better.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 01:26 PM

Some of these dudes were fishing with a piece of bone on a length of twine and a stick back in the 1700's rofl
Posted by: Smalma

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 03:33 PM

Don't know about the piece of bone but did begin my angling career terrorizing cutthroat in small creeks with a willow switch, 4 foot piece of string, a # 8 hook and can of worms dug in the garden. And yes the can holding those worms was one of those flat tobacco cans (thanks to an uncle that rolled his own) that fit in our shirt pockets.

Great times and remember those hooks being pretty precious and if snagged considerable effort was spend to retrieve that hook.

Curt
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 03:48 PM

I also remember listening to Bill Davis on the original Outdoor Line radio show.
Les Johnson had a show called Fly Fishing Northwest I believe.

Wally Pease out of Yakima also had a show, though I can't remember the name.
SF
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 03:49 PM

Dahlberg is awesome... i enjoyed Hawg Quest when it was on... Larry Csonka's North to Alaska, while wasnt totally fishing, but alot of it was, was another favorite of mine....

there was one, that they guys chased Tarpon in the early 2000's that i really enjoyed, they did other fish as well, but the 250 pound Tarpon shows were awesome... just cant remember the name of it... i believe it was on ESPN...

the new show with Mike Carey, sucks....

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Don't know about the piece of bone but did begin my angling career terrorizing cutthroat in small creeks with a willow switch, 4 foot piece of string, a # 8 hook and can of worms dug in the garden. And yes the can holding those worms was one of those flat tobacco cans (thanks to an uncle that rolled his own) that fit in our shirt pockets.

Great times and remember those hooks being pretty precious and if snagged considerable effort was spend to retrieve that hook.

Curt

Oh to be kids again....fishing the little creeks running through Edmonds. No bulls in the pastures ala Patrick McManus' stories but a couple of milk cows! Then there was crawling around under the ferry dock (now certainly some sort of Federal offense) for a variety of bottomfish which went home in the basket of the bike. The really good end of those adventures: (1) never arrested, (2) never fell off the dock and (3) despite all of the creosote no skin cancer. Oh, and a lot of that dock fishing was with a cuttyhunk hand line.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:51 PM

Hawg Quest ? I hated that show.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
+1
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:56 PM

Championship Fishing with Virgil Ward. . .best theme song. . .ever. I watched those episodes when I was a kid and soaked it up like it was gospel,

fb

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Any fishing show with Larry Dahlberg in it (In Fisherman et al.). LD is perhaps the greatest all-round fisherman in history. His resume is second to none. That may be debatable, but I can't think of anyone that's any better.

The short snippets of Dahlberg (Hunt for BIG FISH!) were all excellent. Always got that "Who wouldn't want to be there?" feeling every time I watched.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Jerry Mckinnis and his weiner dog Norman steals the show for me. Ahh.. the good old days.

Used to watch that when I was on the East Coast.

Second-longest running show on ESPN.... EVER!

Every episode ended with this...
"Dedicated to Dad.... he ALWAYS had time to take me fishin'."

Words to live by.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 08:20 PM

Fishing the West holds a special place in my heart. It was the first truly salmon/steelhead-centric program I ever tuned into. There was always a destination-specific instructional snippet included with each episode. The producers took a few moments to showcase a nice smattering of nature/wildlife scenes, and the soundtrack was predictably soothing rather than horribly irritating like so many of the newer shows.
Posted by: large edward

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
+1

+2, particularly the show's host.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/03/19 10:12 PM

I have an old book by Les Johnson,that guy was cool. I may have to start another thread!! Dahlberg is pretty cool,he sent my friend some lures a couple years ago because he emailed the guy. That shows class. The other fishing show I always dug was Hank Parker,he is a good ole boy lol.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/04/19 05:49 AM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

I forgot to mention The Fishin' Hole and Jerry's way of teaching fishing and sticking to basics.
He inspired me to fish in direct drive and to convert reels to direct drive.

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/04/19 07:30 AM

Lol his back reeling annoyed me to virtually no end! I did like his little weiner dog Norman. I much prefer the sound of a drag on a spinning reel though.
Posted by: steelhead59

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/04/19 08:59 AM

Being from the Mid West, as I recall Harold Ensley, "Going fishin instead of just a wishing". Me and my cousin J.D. Love couldn't wait for Sunday evening for that show to come on.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/04/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fp
I have looked to find it but no luck. I do have a VHS tape and a disc(?)of it.

I think it was 83/84?

fp

Someone needs to post a link to this episode, can't find on the interwebs

c/22

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/04/19 06:27 PM

Does anybody know if I can run it on a CD and copy it to my pc?

If so, mebbe I could show it. It was old school for sure.

fp

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/05/19 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon

Favorite show was Gadabout Gaddis fly fishing for Bass outta the ole canoe !
Nice! I watched the landlocked salmon episode when I was a kid and that one stayed with me. I'd love to do that.
Posted by: Blktailhunter

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/05/19 11:12 PM

This is Larry Green with the Fisherman’s forecast.....
Posted by: eddie

Re: Favorite Fishing Shows Growing Up - 06/06/19 03:17 AM

I think I may have it copied onto CD but it's not great quality.