Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27

Posted by: ned

Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/12/19 08:32 PM

Kingston is celebrating its 100th birthday, and decided they need the space at the ramp for booths. No kidding, there's a sign at the ramp.

I guess not everyone fishes.
Posted by: Blktailhunter

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 12:54 PM

WTH!!!!!
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 01:51 PM

Let's see.....WDFW "negotiated" a four day marked selective fishery for Chinook running 25-28 July inclusive. So, Kingston is taking 25% of that season and 50% of the (only) week-end.

My question would be for the Port of Kingston (rather than the City) to explain itself and possibly reconsider a decision under its purview and responsibility.

I also have to wonder if there was any RCO money involved in that ramp construction/maintenance.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 03:32 PM

One would also think that there would be some communication between the ramp owner and WDFW to coordinate closures.
Posted by: Lifter99

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 04:58 PM

"Communication" and "one would think " are in the vocabulary of the present day WDFW.

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 07:31 PM

Sorry. I meant to say "Communication " and "one would think" are NOT in the vocabulary of the present day WDFW.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 07:44 PM

And the Point No Point ramp remains in Corps of Engineers' purgatory. It is abundantly clear that we need more access to saltwater and particularly access that cannot be co-opted. Recent memory has the City of Mukilteo closing what used to be a State Park ramp (until turned over to the City) for their Lighthouse Day celebration on a fishing derby day.

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/13/19 08:34 PM

It would almost look like a conspiracy to get the recreational fisheries out of Puget Sound.

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/14/19 04:13 AM

Carcassman, I agree with you completely. I and others have been thinking that for a while.
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/14/19 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
It would almost look like a conspiracy to get the recreational fisheries out of Puget Sound.

But "keep buying those salt water licenses boys, there's plenty of opportunity".

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/14/19 07:57 AM

The Ocean. That and the Straits maybe as far in as PA. From a purely maximization of opportunity and economic benefit perspective it makes sense.

When the weak stocks are the most mixed, you can get more days fishing for the same "cost". At one time, when Skagit coho controlled the ocean, each additional adult fish gave you 100 more harvestable in the ocean.

Plus, a whole lot more economic activity is generated out there with travel to, lodging, meals, and so on plus the charter industry is big out there and tiny inside.

I remember we often had those discussions and the ocean fishery represents significantly more opportunity, catch, and economic return.

It does screw the local who has to protect the habitat.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/15/19 10:39 PM

Talked to the Port of Kingston Harbormaster yesterday and he said no trailer parking is available for even moored boats. This Centennial gig must be a big deal. Will be be interesting to find out. Hope for some good eats!
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Kingston Boat Ramp CLOSED July 27 - 07/16/19 02:44 PM

Sent the information to WDFW on the 13th. Got a call back from Larry Phillips, Region 6 Director this afternoon. He had talked with folks in Kingston. The ramp is going to be closed at 6 pm on the 26th and access probably won't be open until 12:01 a.m. on 28th IF the clean up is finished by then. WDFW doesn't control the ramp and apparently weren't contacted by City folks in the planning process for the Centennial celebration. WDFW staff (LE, fish checkers, etc) are being advised.