Any coho reports?

Posted by: ned

Any coho reports? - 08/24/19 07:19 AM

Kings are done, time to move on.

Any beach or boat reports for coho. Not many boats in north Area 10... Maybe they aren't here yet?
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/24/19 08:52 AM

Ned:

Here is the WDFW address for different areas of our State..

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports/creel/Puget

After all the meetings that I attended during NOF, and hearing the glowing reports of what was supposed to be "large Coho numbers for 2019, I'm not seeing them when I look at the "creel reports"....

Time tells all...……….
Posted by: Local

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/24/19 10:05 PM

There are billions of them out in the ocean off of Queets. Ok maybe not billions but there are a lot of them. All the charter boats that make the 3 hour trip from Westport are limiting out while releasing 4 times as many native Coho. Not many Chinook.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/25/19 07:39 AM

I saw a number of coho caught and hooked on Puget Sound yesterday.
Not hot by any means but enough to keep things interesting.
SF
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/25/19 09:48 AM

Still a little slow but I’d say by next weekend it will be pretty worthwhile.

The fact that they’re staying in the ocean longer is a great sign. They’ll put on significant weight out there! Hopefully by the time they hit the sound in earnest it’s a nice healthy run of fish.

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/25/19 12:21 PM

Over the years I've seen the king run peak the first and second week of August. it closed late this year, but my last two fish at closing were my biggest, same with a couple of my friends. Seems the bigger fish were later.

Not saying coho are late, hoping they show and build in size like the king run did.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/25/19 12:45 PM

Melanie and I caught 3 yesterday south of Greys Harbor a bit, had to work for them. They are up north in strong numbers, I believe we'll run up there soon if more fish don't move south. We limited out 3 or 4 weeks ago, but it's been very slow close to Westport lately. The ratio of hooked to wild fish is amazing for us, though. For 9 coho we have released 2 wild. Our last day out of Westport last year we went 4/4 hatchery. Yesterday it was 3 for 3. Skill in catching fish is paramount but it helps to have luck in the sorting out process. Bob
Posted by: MPM

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/26/19 11:55 AM

Creel reports show lots of pinks being caught in MA 8-2/9/10 and coho starting to show up (1 per angler) out in the Strait. I'd bet we start getting decent numbers of ocean coho in Pugetropolis in a week or so.
Posted by: ondarvr

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/26/19 08:16 PM

I was in Alaska last week and the coho fishing was good, maybe even a little bigger than normal.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/27/19 08:53 AM

Coho suck and spin........Silvers rock.

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/27/19 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: WDFW X 1 = 0
Coho suck and spin........Silvers rock.

Lol
Reminds me of a few years ago while beach fishing.
Dude walks up to me with his rod rigged with a buzz bomb and asks me what I’m fishing for after I had just landed a fish.
I tell him I’m fishing for coho.
He says cool, when do the silvers show up? rofl
SF
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/28/19 04:53 PM

Looked in my diary from last year and on Sept. 2nd we landed a limit of 6 coho by 0800 off West Pt. It had been good at least a week before that. I'm hard pressed to even bother this weekend based on reports. Hope they are late.

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 08:16 AM

well, 4 years ago, 2015....there were lot's of both silver jacks and hatchery Coho in the Chehalis River. Last part of August and 1st week of September, the river was "like the old days", bank fishermen and boat fishermen caught lots of limits.....yes the river was open for adult Coho AND THE LIMIT was 3 adults.

This is also the year that after the QIN and NT seasons....the whole Chehalis system was closed down for conservation.

Classic example---forecast "lots of returning fish", reality set in "missed forecast", over did the closure, there were summer run steelhead and Chum available...grrrrrrrrr

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 10:36 AM

Hard to get stuff done at work when I keep getting text messages about coho being caught.
I'm taking tomorrow off.....
SF
Posted by: SpoonFed

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 10:57 AM

I know that feeling all to well stonefish. I have called out sick a many of times to get on a hot bite. It was totally worth it too.

The fish gods have blessed me a couple times this year with some perfect coho. The season just started too. wink
Posted by: No More Ice Fishin

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 12:14 PM

With these evening tides, are you guys finding a better bite at dawn or the high? (Or somewhere in between, I know different beaches can fish better on incoming vs. outgoing)?

One more question for you. I'm gonna take my kids over to Whidbey tomorrow to sling some Rotators off the beach. Here's the trick. My boys are 5 and 7 and just getting the hang of spinning rods - and now will be letting loose with 9 foot rods and heavy lures. So probably need a little elbow room due to liability issues.

We'll be out there from mid-afternoon into the high, so guessing the main spots will be busy (based on my solo trips the last couple weeks).

Good pink/coho combo beach where you can stake out your own space? I'm thinking maybe walking down quite a ways at Bush...even towards the little bay/middle part of it. Not sure if the fish come in close even in the bay.

Or other ideas? I don't love Fort Casey for pinks...
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 01:00 PM

If there are still humpies around, I have actually put a jig under a bobber and let my kids just slowly reel it in. It helps if they are having trouble keeping it off the bottom. When the humpies were in, they hit it just fine.
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 05:08 PM

Fished with a friend Tuesday out of PA. Ended up with two coho and two pinks. A contact in Sekiu said they’re doing well on coho and the pink numbers are dropping off some.

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 06:18 PM

Big pressure drop since yesterday will get things moving. Re-evaluating getting out this weekend.

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/29/19 08:12 PM

I’m going.

Don’t know if you don’t go!

See you out there.
Posted by: TanTastic84

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/30/19 02:32 PM

I've got herring in brine and rigs all set up for this weekend!

I dont know about others but I'll definitely be out on the water!

Good luck and be safe out there friends!

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/31/19 06:14 PM

Fished today, here’s my report:

There are no coho everyone stay home.

See you out there tomorrow!

Re: Any coho reports? - 08/31/19 09:57 PM

Four coho and a pink to my boat today. Fished around the PA buoy
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/02/19 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: bushbear
Four coho and a pink to my boat today. Fished around the PA buoy

Nice! Must mean you got your motor problem resolved.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 08:25 AM

It's pretty amazing the amount of pinks that are still out there right now. From Shipwreck south yesterday on the run out there were still huge schools of pinks jumping all over the place. We also saw several large schools finning and nosing the surface.

From what I heard of the Snohomish opener this weekend that river is absolutely plugged as well. Easy limits in the usual spots, Pilchuck River, Thomas Eddy...

It's pretty clear the escapement forecast was drastically under-calculated.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: GodLovesUgly

Same on the Puyallup; WDFW recently established a two pink bonus. Just remember to check the regs as the Puyallup now has closed days of the week to avoid conflict with tribal fisheries.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 12:19 PM

No coho yesterday, Melanie had to settle for a nice king. Bob R
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 02:18 PM

There are WAY more pinks than the forecast, that's true.

It seems worth mentioning that this is not a "calculation" mistake really -- it's really more a reflection that calculating fish returns is at BEST an informed estimation. While I appreciate and value those pre-season estimates, they are not great tools for managing fisheries IMO. Mid-season adjustments should be a larger part of season management -- even though I know people get frustrated by them.

The alternative is to treat the pre-season estimates as gospel -- which OVER harvests the resource when the pre-season estimate is too large, and cuts seasons off EARLY when the pre-season estimate is too conservative. Both suck.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: IrishRogue

It seems worth mentioning that this is not a "calculation" mistake really -- it's really more a reflection that calculating fish returns is at BEST an informed estimation. While I appreciate and value those pre-season estimates, they are not great tools for managing fisheries IMO. Mid-season adjustments should be a larger part of season management -- even though I know people get frustrated by them.

The alternative is to treat the pre-season estimates as gospel -- which OVER harvests the resource when the pre-season estimate is too large, and cuts seasons off EARLY when the pre-season estimate is too conservative. Both suck.

Okay, point taken. So, their SWAG was way off......hopefully the silvers will also return significantly above the SWAG.

(SWAG = Scientific wild ass guess)

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/03/19 03:20 PM

Yeah but the real problem is that ISU's are not an option to the NT fleet. We have to just accept whatever wild ass guess is thrown out and take it on the chin if it comes in under, whereas our fishery CLOSES if they come in OVER on their guess...

My point in complaining is just touching on the fact that it sucks balls there is no NT mechanism for an ISU in such a case where there is clearly an egregious under-forecast.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 10:11 AM

I was up at Doug Bar last night on the Snoho and there were several thousand pinks in that stretch. An absurd amount. Schools of fish visibly swimming in the water all around the boat and the water was boiling as far as the eye could see in all directions.
Posted by: large edward

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 10:32 AM

Not a silver report, but I did a scouting drive on Tuesday morning and saw a few humpies rolling in Thomas Eddy right above Douglas Bar. What surprised me was how many humpies were rolling in the Sky in Sultan flats. A couple kids were there at the mouth of the Sultan hooking a releasing them one after another.
Posted by: blenny

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry B

Okay, point taken. So, their SWAG was way off......hopefully the silvers will also return significantly above the SWAG.

its pretty irresponsible to spread the idea that NOAA numbers and models are wild ass guesses. yes there are errors associated with them but what is the alternative? this is akin to lambasting the weather man for a random rain shower when 90% of the time forecasts are correct and provide numerous benefits to public safety and general enjoyment. do you look at the forecast before you go out fishing? i would say that weather and climate modeling have greatly increased my fishing enjoyment and safety. I'm also not so dense that i believe the models are supposed to be 100% correct and I will use my eyes and gut if things change when I'm fishing bigger water on a boat. NOAA even has a weather model/river flow model that is extremely useful for picking your fishing dates if you aren't retired and have limited time to fish. you think it was luck that their chinook forecast for the puget sound was pretty spot on? the fact we have as good of models on migratory salmon is amazing and the result of tons of hard work by scientists and public investment and sitting back smug when they aren't spot on is just silly...

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 01:29 PM

Just an FYI for boaters
The Mukilteo ramp will be closed this weekend for the Lighthouse Festival.
SF

https://mukfest.com/

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted By: blenny

its pretty irresponsible to spread the idea that NOAA numbers and models are wild ass guesses. yes there are errors associated with them but what is the alternative? this is akin to lambasting the weather man for a random rain shower when 90% of the time forecasts are correct and provide numerous benefits to public safety and general enjoyment.

Are you kidding me? People literally talk sh!t about the weather and weather forecasters all. the. time. Literally always.

What is the alternative? In season update. That IS the alternative that we do not utilize. Forecasting and backing up the forecast with in season update should be BMP but it is NOT. We are stuck with the pre-forecast alone which is only 1 tool in the toolbox!

These things are wrong more than "just a little", man. Get with the times.
Posted by: MPM

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 01:48 PM

Blenny,

I don't get what's "irresponsible" about poking fun at the lack of accuracy in fish forecasts. What are you worried will happen?

Also, I think suggesting that pre-season fish forecasts are similar in accuracy to next-day weather forecasts is further from the truth than suggesting pre-season fish forecasts are little better than guesses.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 02:17 PM

Fished 10 this morning. Nothing but a couple of small 4-5 #er resident coho and a pink. Saw zero nets fly in 3 spots. Checker had about one per boat out of Shilshole. He did state all were small and resident. Where are the ocean coho? It should be on fire with the numbers forecast by now? Maybe this weekends weather change will break it open?
Posted by: GutZ

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 04:50 PM

Same here. Been fishing 3 or 4 days a week and I have not yet caught an Ocean Coho.
This morning I headed off for the Yellow Marker just past Scatchet Head but stopped in the bottom of the Horseshoe as the birds wer going nuts. Trolled around there for a while with zero so continued on out to the Yellow Marker. Trolled back to the bar and at 10am precisely (pill/shot time) we got our first fish, Nice little Blackmouth, then in short order humpy, resident ho, another Blackmouth! and finished with a slimer. There was a lot of bait.

Good Luck!
Posted by: Blktailhunter

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 06:55 PM

Hooked a gorgeous 12-13# coho today in area 9. Unfortunately it had an extra fin. Went home with a couple of rezzies.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/06/19 08:51 PM

My job for a while was to do ISU's for PS salmon stocks. We did ISUs for Chinook, coho, pink, chum, and sockeye for each of the management areas except the Straits unit. Updates were done weekly from July (LW sockeye) through January (Nisqually chum). Each week we also updated the allocations so that fisheries could be adjusted up or down depending on remaining harvest.

We further evaluated the ISU performance by looking at how well they predicted the run as compared to the forecast. In the vast majority of cases, the ISU was quite a bit more accurate.

The runs were generally updated based on commercial fisheries as we had almost immediate (>95% of a day's landings in 3 days) data. We used Indian, Non-Indian, gill net or purse seine depending on which one worked best.

Of course, this was in the 80s and technology has advanced so much that they must have better ways to come up with estimates.
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/07/19 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Of course, this was in the 80s and technology has advanced so much that they must have better ways to come up with estimates.

Sure do...

Go into a hotel back room with the Tribes, lock the door and ask them how many fish to report are coming back. Then, provide allocations to whack as many fish as possible based on that number in nets. Then, after the nets are done, make an emergency closure.

This is Fish management in the 2000's...

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/07/19 11:26 AM

Well, yeah.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/08/19 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: blenny
Originally Posted By: Larry B

its pretty irresponsible to spread the idea that NOAA numbers and models are wild ass guesses. yes there are errors associated with them but what is the alternative? this is akin to lambasting the weather man for a random rain shower when 90% of the time forecasts are correct and provide numerous benefits to public safety and general enjoyment. do you look at the forecast before you go out fishing? i would say that weather and climate modeling have greatly increased my fishing enjoyment and safety. I'm also not so dense that i believe the models are supposed to be 100% correct and I will use my eyes and gut if things change when I'm fishing bigger water on a boat. NOAA even has a weather model/river flow model that is extremely useful for picking your fishing dates if you aren't retired and have limited time to fish. you think it was luck that their chinook forecast for the puget sound was pretty spot on? the fact we have as good of models on migratory salmon is amazing and the result of tons of hard work by scientists and public investment and sitting back smug when they aren't spot on is just silly...

Sorry if I hit a nerve but I don't see describing what is going on as a SWAG is irresponsible. If the process had a statistically high degree of accuracy over the years I would apologize but that simply isn't the case. Now, if I had said that projections were purely wild ass guesses your comment would be correct but I gave acknowledgment to the scientific aspect which draws fairly big circles......

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/08/19 10:35 AM

The use of forecasts is forced on us by the midst that we have to fish out in the ocean and not in the terminal areas.

Oregon did a analysis on their wild coho a while back and came up with a really good model that accurately predicted run size. It used four different ocean parameters. The problem was that they were independent enough that 3 good ones could be over-ruled by the last being poor. Or vice-versa. That 4th one was essentially just before they entered the bays and rivers so it was useless for managing the ocean.

So long a ocean fisheries drive things we will be using rather wildly inaccurate models but it is all we have.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/09/19 04:56 PM

I left for trip to the East Coast to see family, I got back a week later, I'm glad some folks are posting actual silver reports (with a few pink sightings as well). Since I've been gone, you folks keep a request for silver reports on track despite those who would lose sight of the thread title. Some of us still talk about catching fish, not the politics of fishing. Start a different thread about the lack of accuracy in forecasts on your own. I still like to catch fish, not argue about it online. Bob R
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/10/19 12:01 PM

I caught a real nice ocean silver buck at the Indian Point yellow can in the shipping lanes Saturday. Small green flasher and herring aide coho killer. Didn't see any other fish caught there, Skatchet head or SE Posession. Tasted great grilled with a basting sauce of butter, brown sugar, lemon juice and wine. Ate half the fish myself minus the skin which the dogs happily took care of.

Anyone care to argue smoking recipes {;>)}>

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/13/19 05:17 AM

Rain helped, got fish to move in the Chehalis. Jack fishing has been better than good. Adults are being caught/released, September 16 is fast approaching,,,,,yep, fish are around.

Boat traffic---be aware, right now the waters, up river, from South Monty are very low, at low BECAUSE the Chehalis River itself is very, very low. Tough to move around, even with a jet boat, except mid tide to high tide.

Enjoy the resource....please be safe!!!!!

Humptulips, which I don't fish, has lots of boat traffic. Word from the river, Chinook are around. Yea I know, Chinook should not be mixed in with a "Coho thread but I did"......

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/13/19 07:25 AM

Cancelled trip to 10 due to wind forecast this morning. have a buddy that is still going. Will send report.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/15/19 07:07 AM

Saturday report from the Chehalis River....

I enjoy "jack fishing" this time of the year.....like eat fresh but really enjoy smoking them, for some enjoyable eating.

Took me Thursday, Friday, and Saturday to get a double limit to fill my Big Chief smoker. Sure not like the old days, when limits were very easy to get.

Pleasant surprise yesterday morning, Saturday, where there had been 10 - 12 guys on the gravel bar, Thursday and Friday...…….2 of us had the whole river bar to ourselves, for 2 hours then another person joined us.

No limits of jacks BUT 5 adults were caught/released.....4 small Coho and 1 Chinook.

Seahawk early game or I'd be there again...…..Low water, above Montesano slows boat movement....there is some minor changes in gravel bars....be careful.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/15/19 04:41 PM

Buddy got two 6# Friday before the wind came up.
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 05:03 AM

Port Angeles was fast yesterday. 25 + landed/released to harvest our first 8 clipped coho. Rain has em coming. Gearing up now to do it again this morning.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 12:28 PM

No disrespect towards anyone fishing the straits with my post.
You are just playing by the rules handed out by WDFW.

I know it has been discussed before, but wouldn't it be better for the fish if you could just retain your first two coho whether clipped or not and be done?

I read a report recent with 36 fish caught to take home 4 hatchery fish.
That seems ridiculous to have to release 32 unclipped fish to get 4 hatchery fish.....
You'd think there would be less unclipped fish mortality of you could just keep your first two.

Your thoughts?
SF
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish

I know it has been discussed before, but wouldn't it be better for the fish if you could just retain your first two coho whether clipped or not and be done?

That seems ridiculous to have to release 32 unclipped fish to get 4 hatchery fish.....
You'd think there would be less unclipped fish mortality of you could just keep your first two.

Your thoughts?
SF

100% agree. If coho didn't have such a high mortality rate, it would be one thing, but how many of those 32 wild fish made it? Seems idiotic to me.

Re: Any coho reports - 09/16/19 04:12 PM

100% agree. Especially with the runs we have nowadays.

Re: Any coho reports - 09/16/19 04:32 PM

Agreed, with mortality rates what they are, it unnecessarily takes a lot of wild fish out of the gene pool. Funny how (most of the time) you can tell a wild vs hatchery coho right away in how they fight.
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Any coho reports - 09/16/19 05:51 PM

Got out last Tuesday afternoon. Hit Salsbury then went over to Quilcene. Not very many fish. Tribal snaggers had a few coho. Wednesday I hit Hansville by the store and later the lighthouse. Got a 3 lb coho take my buzzbomb and hoochie. Went out to Foulweather bluff and saw a few roll.

Re: Any coho reports - 09/16/19 07:17 PM

Melanie and I fished the Chehalis River opener today, no bites all morning only saw a couple of fish caught. Afternoon showers brought a fresh batch in, bite turned on and we limited in two hours with Melanie catching her two on flasher and spinner, I had to work with herring. She did catch a king at least 20 lbs.s on my rod with herring, though. Successful release, she was happier when she caught her last fish of the day. Silvers were between 6 and 8 lbs. Fish enforcement was at the ;launch in the afternoon, said he saw a decent number of limits. Bob R
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.

Your thoughts?
SF

100% agree. If coho didn't have such a high mortality rate, it would be one thing, but how many of those 32 wild fish made it? Seems idiotic to me.

Whenever the mortality rate exceeds the mark rate, you are far better off killing the first two fish. That's the break even point.... it's just a matter of do you want the dead wilds in the box of do you want to use them as feed for the sea lions crabs and seagulls. Take yer pick.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 10:42 PM

Isn't the ability to harvest unclipped coho in salt water controlled by the Feds? We've been arguing this for over 25 years but nothing is ever going to change it at a state level. Or am I wrong? Melanie and I have harvested 9 hatchery coho in salt water this year and released 2 wild. We've been lucky like that the last two or 3 years, but we haven't fished in the straits for years, only Swiftsure and Westport. I'm thankful we don't have to release wild fish in the river, only one hatchery coho today for 4 fish kept. Bob R

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/16/19 10:45 PM

One of the issues in the Strait is the Pacific Salmon Treaty and the Canadian's protection needs for the Thompson River coho - a listed run in the Fraser River basin. We're helping to protect those fish with the MSF coho fishery in the Strait.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 06:26 AM

Originally Posted By: bushbear
One of the issues in the Strait is the Pacific Salmon Treaty and the Canadian's protection needs for the Thompson River coho - a listed run in the Fraser River basin. We're helping to protect those fish with the MSF coho fishery in the Strait.

so, the feds don't require that all wild coho south of the
straits (i.e.; Westport, La Push, points south) be released in Marine waters? Are you saying that the state can allow us to keep these fish? That was the question in my last post that wasn't answered. And not to detract from the orig. heading on this thread, how is everyone's coho fishing going? I love how simple fish reports wind up in gripe sessions.

s
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 07:32 AM

On the topic of sorting through way too many unclipped fish to get two clipped fish... I think this is one way propping up commercial fisheries with hatcheries has hurt wild fish that doesn't get talked about much. Without commercial fisheries to feed, there would be no need for salmon hatcheries. In order for commercial fisheries to produce the levels of catch that keep everyone paid and the market satiated, the wild runs need supplementation. Mixing hatchery and wild stocks creates all sorts of management challenges associated with maximizing harvest of hatchery fish while avoiding overexploiting the wild stocks. In theory, it should be easy for recs to avoid taking too many wild fish, but in practice, it's far from simple or efficient, and it creates a situation that's bad for everyone, most notably the fish. I think we can all agree that C&R-ing 20 salmon in a day is a lot of fun; that's not the issue. The problem is that, by the numbers, 10 of those released coho won't make it. That's 8 more wild fish dead than would have been had the angler been allowed to retain the first two.

The other thing that makes this wrong-headed is that it's the ocean fishery (the rec fishery that accounts for the majority of the sport harvest share) where this is happening. It's the worst possible scenario for preserving wild coho. I sincerely believe that going to a kill your first two coho rule in the salt would be an immense, immediate lift to numbers of wild coho returning to spawn. Who knows? Maybe, given time, the wild fish saved (coupled with stopping development along river banks) would lead to better wild productivity, potentially eliminating the need to plant hatchery fish. (Do we have a pipe dream emoji?)

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 07:43 AM

Back to happy stuff. Fished a coastal tributary yesterday. Nice, bright coho coming in throughout the day. Only had to put back one unclipped hatchery fish to catch my limit of clipped ones.

The rain is definitely getting things moving early this year. The bad news is we're looking at bonafide blowouts in September. Could move a large percentage of the early run up above fishing access before the October 1 opener for tributaries. Hopefully, the fish are organizing themselves to move up in a steady, consistent fashion, but I've not often known them to do that....

Good luck out there. If you can find fishable water this week, it should be loaded.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 08:07 AM

Ok, back to coho reports.
2 for 6 off the beach on Saturday.
3 for 7 if you count the seal pup that ate my clouser.
Really not seeing much that can break the 5lb mark being caught.
Lots of 3 lb unclipped fish getting released.
SF
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 08:58 AM

SF

You landed it! Nice!

Get any photos before the release?

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 09:08 AM

Originally Posted By: elparquito
SF

You landed it! Nice!

Get any photos before the release?

No photos of the release.
Even those little guys have some pretty wicked looking teeth....
The leader parted so it had some chartreuse and pink bling in its upper lip as it swam off.
Hopefully the barbless hook falls out soon.
SF

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 09:19 AM

LOL. Glad you didn't have to try to get that fly back.

Clousers flat out get it done as a baitfish imitation. I've hooked up a seagull on one of those. Seems everything that eats baitfish will take a Clouser, given enough chances.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 09:27 AM

No easy answer on picking opening date for tributaries....if you allow "early opening dates", then the season could/would be shorter.

I like to fish later in the season, so later opening on the tributaries is better for my fishing.

This year tribs., when they open, could be jammed with fish, the conservation goals can/could be met, that is a good thing. The bad thing is every fishing hole could have boats, or people standing there, not my "cup of tea".

Just enjoy the fishery!!!

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 10:10 AM

Not my cup either. I'm really hoping these rivers stay in fishable shape when they open.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 03:25 PM

Joes creek is DEAD, stay home, it's not worth the effort.

BOOM !
Posted by: Jaydee

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/17/19 06:22 PM

100percent

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 08:04 AM

September 20, 2019.....

If you aren't fishing, or planning to fish...…….YOU'RE MISSING !!!!!!

The stars are in alignment.....

1. No nets

2. Rivers are on the drop and clearing

3. Coho, and jacks are on the bite......Chehalis side, no Chinook adults or jacks are allowed.

There will be crowds, maintain your cool, remember YOU don't own the river!!!!!!
Posted by: steely slammer

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 01:49 PM

sounds like the pot calling the kettle black..

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 06:49 PM

Looks like that huge predicted coho run got overfished in the ocean. Good thing everybody has a big water boat and already got all the coho they want. Nobody fishes the sound or rivers anyway.

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

September 20, 2019

Limit reduced to 1 coho salmon daily in most Puget Sound marine areas

Action: Reduces the daily limit for coho salmon to one.

Effective date: Monday, Sept. 23, 2019.

Species affected: Coho salmon.

Locations: Marine areas 5 (Sekiu and Pillar Point), 6 (East Juan de Fuca Strait), 7 (San Juan Islands) 8-1 (Deception Pass, Hope Island, Skagit Bay), 9 (Admiralty Inlet), 10 (Seattle/Bremerton Area), 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), and 13 (South Puget Sound).

Reason for action: Since early September, state and tribal co-managers have been assessing coho runs throughout Puget Sound waters. Preliminary information indicates that returning coho have a smaller body size and potentially lower-than-expected run sizes to many systems. WDFW is implementing this rule as a precaution to ensure escapement and hatchery goals are met.

Salmon rules by area:

Marine Area 5: Sept. 23 through Sept. 30: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release chum, wild coho, and wild Chinook.
Marine Area 6: Sept. 23 through Sept. 30: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release chum, wild coho, and wild Chinook.
Marine Area 7: Sept. 23 through Sept. 30: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release chum and Chinook.
Marine Area 8-1: Sept. 23 through October 31: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Release pinks and Chinook.
Marine Area 9: Sept. 23 through Sept. 30: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release chum, Chinook, and wild coho.
Marine Area 10: Sept. 23 through Nov. 15: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Release Chinook.
Marine Area 11: Sept. 23 through Sept. 30: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release Chinook.
Marine Area 13: Sept. 23 until further notice: Daily limit 2; up to 1 coho may be retained. Chinook min. size 22”. Release wild coho and wild Chinook.
Additional information: Rules for Marine Area 12, year-round docks and piers, Bellingham Bay, Tulalip Bay, and Sinclair Inlet Special Areas remain unchanged.

Anglers are reminded to refer to the 2019-20 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet [url=athttps://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf][url=athttps://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf][url=athttps://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf]athttps://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02077/wdfw02077.pdf[/url][/url][/url] for the specific regulations in each Puget Sound marine area or visit the WDFW website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations.

Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon manager, 360-902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, 360-902-2807

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 07:07 PM

That's what you get for fishing on forecasts. The conservation burden is placed on the resource and whoever is the last in line to fish.
Posted by: Lifter99

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 07:44 PM

Since the tribal co- managers agreed to this, are the tribes going to curtail their gillnetting for conservation reasons?
Posted by: Lifter99

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/20/19 08:05 PM

I forgot to mention that if WDFW and the tribes are worried about ensuring escapement and hatchery goals are met for coho, then why is there still a two coho limit for for sport fishermen in the rivers such as the Puyallup and Nisqually down where I live? Why is it just the Puget Sound saltwater angler being limited to one coho/day?

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 07:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Lifter99
I forgot to mention that if WDFW and the tribes are worried about ensuring escapement and hatchery goals are met for coho, then why is there still a two coho limit for for sport fishermen in the rivers such as the Puyallup and Nisqually down where I live? Why is it just the Puget Sound saltwater angler being limited to one coho/day?

Oh, don't worry. The emergency rule change is coming...

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 07:41 AM

Saltwater fishing is generally mixed stock. You close the mixed stock areas and then catch the surplus of those stocks that have some in the rivers. Conservative management requires that fisheries be closed when there are weak stocks present.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 08:03 AM

Fished 10 yesterday. 6 hrs on the water for 3 dinks, biggest 6-7#. Lots of shaker encounters which may be part of the reason for the limit reduction. Our screen was chocked full at times with very few bites. The fish are there but seem to have lockjaw already. Never marked so many in my life without bites. Tribe was out netting. One we got had net marks on it. Going to be an interesting derby day today.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Looks like that huge predicted coho run got overfished in the ocean. Good thing everybody has a big water boat and already got all the coho they want. Nobody fishes the sound or rivers anyway.

Actually the Chehalis has been good to us , limited on Monday, only got one yesterday as tides weren't as cooperative as Monday. But others are also catching fish in the river. And yeah, we got a big boat, that's why we bought it so we could go out in the "big water" to catch fish. If you don't go out in the river and catch fish it's because you spend too much time behind a keyboard. And as far as "over fishing" in the ocean, the reality is that there is a huge warm water issue in the ocean off our coast that has driven the baitfish out and caused smaller fish and a smaller run. I don't recall you ever posting ANY reports on catching fish, maybe you should go out and have some fun. bob r

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 08:29 AM

Interesting...I've watched the "fish caught numbers" all summer long, Neah Bay, LaPush, Westport, Willapa Bay, and Columbia River. I could see a "shortage problem" starting to show in mid summer and continue forward.

Numbers is the "Coho Quota" were MUCH greater than the numbers of Coho being caught. I'm surprised that there isn't more of ocean areas being reduced, effective immediately......there is a problem, isn't rocket science to see what should be done......grrrrrrr to the politics of fish management.

I also want to comment of the WDFW memo about all the cuts that will happen if the $26 million supplemental isn't approved...… Duh, WDFW needs to find out why the general public has stopped purchasing licenses, license plates, other items. I can think of some right off hand...Columbia River, Willapa Bay, Wynoochee Mitigation....to name a few.

Enjoy any fishing you have now.... days/limits could be numbered. Another example of "pay your money, then start cutting opportunity"..double grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 11:32 AM

Forgot to mention. A pod of killer whales came through mid morning. I imagine that affected the bite.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 01:14 PM

The fish gods have been very generous to me this year so far.
I've had a couple days this year that I won't forget.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/21/19 03:06 PM

There have been a number of reports. I do get out and fish just not a lot around here as it is just not what I like. But, in the few years we have Wyoming, Hawaii, Tasmania, Queensland, Washington, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Iceland. Been doing some hunting, too, when we are not on trips.
Posted by: fever

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/22/19 06:22 PM

Around Eagle Point, a pod of whales came through alright. we moved away from the cluster of boats, off the common fishing hot spots and watched whales from 1/4 to 1/2 mile from us while the bite got hot and we caught our last four coho in about an hour by looping through a tide rip.

I used to think Orcas in the area would chill the bite, but that turned into a myth for us.

If they're eating Chinoook, then why would coho even care since they're not on the menu?

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/22/19 11:39 PM

I did a pre-derby test fishery on Friday to include both sides of Possession then across to PNP and ending at Foulweather Bluff. Maybe it was just me.....but of those guys out there I didn't see any action. On the run back into Possession Sound I came up behind a pod of Orcas heading north. Word from neighbors on the beach was that there were two NOAA boats moving with the Orcas.

Saturday fished Possession early but no action then off to Scatchet Head for the tide change. One wild fish released and one long distance release of what I believe was a wild fish fish (otherwise it would have been a contender). One boat with two guys said 5 wild and no keepers. And then the Orcas returned heading out Admiralty; quite a show to include one which did two breaches which I rated as 9s.

Given my recent history the announced reduction to one silver/day won't hinder my production rate.
Posted by: blenny

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/23/19 11:33 AM

Nailed coho in MA7 9/15 and 9/16 but its not a mark selective area which would have been a bummer. About 50:50 clipped and unclipped. The three of us in the boat had limits within a couple of hours each of the two days I fished. Glad I got out there before they lowered the limit to 1. Reports are that the outside of SJI still has a hot coho bite as of this past weekend. Decent amount of 3" herring around where I was fishing of which the coho seemed to be feasting on.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/23/19 01:54 PM

I saw the best Coho fishing I've ever seen anywhere in northern MA 9 Saturday.
We had multiple doubles and triples late morning once in the middle of the tide. After landing and releasing our 17th wild fish in a row, we left and ran down to MA 10 just so we could keep something and bonked a couple more.

The Dept.'s decision to go to one fish was premature IMO. There are a ton of Coho out there and the big ones are still coming. The avergage size is up to as stated by fish buyers who track avg weights. I just dont get this decision. I understand being conservative, however there were strong indications of a late and large run. Also I don't think I can recall seeing something reopen after it has been closed like this. Guess its great for at least one user group who influenced the decision, & will have very full totes this year :|
Posted by: BossMan

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/24/19 01:08 PM

Fished the Everett coho derby Saturday. Started at the Oil Docks with a couple hundred other boats. Heard of some radio fish but nary a nibble for me and didn't see a single net around me.

After several hours decided to get away from the crowd and move over to Jeff Head. Turned out to be a good move. Got into a hot bite and hit 5 fish <45 minutes.

Lost the first three, one felt really good but somehow my snap swivel popped open and I lost the fish and all my gear. Never had that happen before. Not sure if I just didn't get it closed all the way or the previous fish had worked it open.

Hit the next two, both pretty much cookie cutters. Weighed one in at 5.32. Got home and realized I'd actually weighed in the slightly smaller one. But not much difference in results either way.

At the weigh in a guy came up with two black mouth. The Game Warden working the booth was unimpressed. Confiscated the fish and was talking to his manager on the phone about what to do. Both were small and hatchery so it sounded like the guy may have gotten off with a written warning.

Fished before work this morning with a buddy expecting good fishing. Hit two small ones right away (the first as soon as my buddy took his hand off the rod on the first drop). Released both thinking we could high grade, but then it was dead until 5 minutes before we had to pack up. Hooked a double, I got mine ~5lbs and my buddy lost the other. Had another good take down a couple minutes later we missed. Unfortunately couldn't stay any longer.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/26/19 08:36 AM

The danger of releasing the first fish landed! If you kept the first fish it would have been lights out an a nice grade of fish I'm sure lol

Nice report.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/26/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BossMan
Fished the Everett coho derby Saturday. Started at the Oil Docks with a couple hundred other boats. Heard of some radio fish but nary a nibble for me and didn't see a single net around me.

After several hours decided to get away from the crowd and move over to Jeff Head. Turned out to be a good move. Got into a hot bite and hit 5 fish <45 minutes.

Lost the first three, one felt really good but somehow my snap swivel popped open and I lost the fish and all my gear. Never had that happen before. Not sure if I just didn't get it closed all the way or the previous fish had worked it open.

Hit the next two, both pretty much cookie cutters. Weighed one in at 5.32. Got home and realized I'd actually weighed in the slightly smaller one. But not much difference in results either way.

At the weigh in a guy came up with two black mouth. The Game Warden working the booth was unimpressed. Confiscated the fish and was talking to his manager on the phone about what to do. Both were small and hatchery so it sounded like the guy may have gotten off with a written warning.

Fished before work this morning with a buddy expecting good fishing. Hit two small ones right away (the first as soon as my buddy took his hand off the rod on the first drop). Released both thinking we could high grade, but then it was dead until 5 minutes before we had to pack up. Hooked a double, I got mine ~5lbs and my buddy lost the other. Had another good take down a couple minutes later we missed. Unfortunately couldn't stay any longer.

Wasn’t a green hoochie and white flasher by chance?
Posted by: BossMan

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/27/19 10:42 AM

Nope, 8" Green/Glow flasher and Green GSB.

I did find someones cut plug herring in one of the fish's belly.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/27/19 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: BossMan
Nope, 8" Green/Glow flasher and Green GSB.

I did find someones cut plug herring in one of the fish's belly.

Was asking because On Sunday a friend hooked a 12” flasher that was trailing a green hoochie in MA10 that had a 5lb coho hooked on the hoochie.

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/29/19 01:28 PM

OK here goes:

Chehalis River--101 Bridge to above Fuller Bridge...Coho fishing has been very good for those putting in the time or just chit house lucky. 101 Bridge to South Monty boat launch, lot's of boat people trolling but there are areas where bankies are catching fish, casting spinners...no doubt about it, the Chehalis River is more of a boaters river....big water, very little access for the bank bound angler. Many of the guides have been fishing the area to the East of Fuller Bridge.

There is some bank access in areas above South Monty and below Fuller Bridge, I'm not saying where the those areas are BUT a little time driving and finding where cars/trucks are parked could be a indicator.

Chehalis River---101 Bridge heading West, 98% of the fishing in this area is from a boat but there is some limited bank access. I do not fish this part of the Chehalis River but am in contact with those that do, fishing has been good at times.

OH, QIN gill netters and set netters, went in today at 12:00.....I posted the QIN and NT schedules, look for it. There will be less fish for the sports fishing public in the Chehalis River.

Oh, Satsop and Wynoochee open on 10/01, there could be some very good fishing...high water at times in the past few weeks, HAD TO GOT FISH INTO THESE 2 Rivers.

Good Luck..

Lots of small Coho and Coho jack fishing has been good.....
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/29/19 07:08 PM

Was happy to get lucky Saturday. First time taking the sled on Chehalis. Went up from keys rd and found great water quickly. Had our first coho on eggs within 30 minutes. I later hooked a nice size King on eggs. Lots of twitching and spinners and those were our only two hookups of the day.
Posted by: 5 * General Evo

Re: Any coho reports? - 09/29/19 09:32 PM

been getting quite a few on the PEWK for the last couple weeks....

Re: Any coho reports? - 10/01/19 08:48 AM

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/puget-sound-coho-managers-seeing-mixed-signals-in-2019-run/amp/