Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019

Posted by: DrifterWA

Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/10/19 11:46 AM

The following is the QIN netting schedule, Chehalis side, the NT schedule is also included.

QIN Schedule

Sept 29, 30, 10/1 and 2----------------4 days
Oct. 6, 7, 8, and 9----------------------4 days
Oct. 13, 14, 15, 16---------------------4 days

Nov. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ------------------------5 days
Nov. 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 -----------------5 days
Nov. 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 -----------------5 days

NT schedule

Oct. 21, 22, 23, 24 ………………………….4 days
Oct. 28, 29, 30, 31 ………………………...4 days

Hope this might help in your scheduling your Chehalis River fishing time.

There is also a QIN listing for the Humptulips River and area 2 C

and the NT schedule for area 2C
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/18/19 07:24 AM

That's a lot of gillnetting. Zero weeks without nets while coho are running. Better get your tidewater fishing in before the end of the month, folks.

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/18/19 05:45 PM

FF2:

I know it looks bad, its only 4 days a week...….so 3 days a week, fish MIGHT be able to get past the Harbor.

Old days, some weeks, there were nets in the river 7 days a week, some weeks......QIN and NT really had them blocked off. NT hate the GH Management Plan that has the 4/3 item, net 4 days...no nets 3 days.

I know the schedule in November shows 5 days, some weeks BUT not many are fishing the Harbor part of the Chehalis River. The fishery this time of the year is mostly a Chum fishery, not a big "sport fishery"

Good fishing

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/19/19 07:55 AM

I remember (not fondly) the old days of 7 day gillnet openings. I definitely appreciate the 4/3 principle (which I have noticed the QIN violates annually in November - they really like those big, late fish). Let's all pray the blowouts happen at the "right" times.

Tight lines.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/21/19 06:47 PM

I remember hearing about the hay bales.
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 09/22/19 08:56 AM

4/3 was written as calendar days and any fishing within a 24 hr calendar day counts as a full day. QIN fish based upon 24 hr openings but not to the calendar. In Sunday noon 1 day / Monday day 2 / Tuesday day 3 out at noon. 3 24 hr openings but occupy parts of 4 calendar days. This leaves 3 calendar days net free.

That is why calendrer days was used in a week. So the agency could not claim 3 24 hr periods amounted to days and then stuff NT in right behind them. QIN traditionally open at noon Sunday which only effects afternoon tidal fisheries to South Monte on day one. The last day they pull at noon which allows tidal fisheries full access but does effect above South Monte as the fish numbers take time to travel tidal reach.

Same thing when they fish 4 24 hr periods. They occupy parts of 5 calender days but fish 4 24 hr periods. The Qin are not bound by the GHMP but have stayed resonably close to the intent.

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/01/19 05:58 AM

October 1, 2019

My observation of QIN netting, so far:

Many of the gill net boats are still tied up by the QIN fish house, up the Wishkah River.

Some set nets behind the Mall and of course the set net on South side of the river.

Minus tides have made the Chehalis around Aberdeen, dirty.....helps netters but raises hell with the small boat fishery. The behind the Mall sport casting public are catching SOME fish.....but I think more spinners are being lost, than fish caught.

Most of the river that drain into the Chehalis are opening today, 10/01/19, gota be fish, just have to find them.

Good luck!!!!
Posted by: Drunkenbubba

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/13/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
October 1, 2019

My observation of QIN netting, so far:

Many of the gill net boats are still tied up by the QIN fish house, up the Wishkah River.

Some set nets behind the Mall and of course the set net on South side of the river.

Minus tides have made the Chehalis around Aberdeen, dirty.....helps netters but raises hell with the small boat fishery. The behind the Mall sport casting public are catching SOME fish.....but I think more spinners are being lost, than fish caught.

Most of the river that drain into the Chehalis are opening today, 10/01/19, gota be fish, just have to find them.

Good luck!!!!

Thanks for posting these!
They went back in again today, I was watching the net that is tied off from the Compass Point behind Walmart, to the pilings about sixty feet out. All of the floats were above water, and it didn't appear he was getting much of anything, which is strange because I have been fishing that exact spot from the bank since it opened.

That spot has been hot and cold since the opener, been able to keep one, lost many and have released about a half dozen kings so far. Yesterday, I fished the point and saw four caught in the late afternoon by the launch at the mouth of the Wishkah all of them hit less than three feet off shore. I have heard that Tractor Supply and Morrison Park are pretty hot too.

This year I have also seen an increasing number of people fishing the other side of the Chehalis from the launch, down to the dike.

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/14/19 05:50 AM

October 14, 2019

Humptulips, Wishkah, Wynoochee, Satsop, Chehalis …. RAIN IS COMING, forecast 10/15 - 10/19, rain everyday.

Its been a dry period, pretty much, during the salmon fishing year..so far.

OH, for those that LIKE to know how the QIN has been doing on their commercial fishing.....nothing has been posted as of 10/14/19, 6 a m.

See the following....what is posted, at this time, is the catch numbers from last season....The following is the WDFW web address that will show the QIN catch..

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/landings#

Posted by: Local

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/14/19 08:24 AM

I have reliable information from a CI that the tribe has not done very well at this point on the Chehalis or the Hump. They believed that many fish ran up river during the earlier rain. They are getting some Chum in the nets at this time along with very few Chinook. The bottom line is this, Not very good so far !
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/14/19 10:21 AM

The bit on rain is correct as if it rains early they just go right up river & no staging. Unless your upriver toward Fuller Hill not good. East county much better. The rains will bounce the rivers hard ( NOAA River Forecast) https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/rfc/ but nothing near flood stage. Click on a location to see the flood stage in feet and how it compares to the forecast flows. Click on the forecast precipitation and 240 hrs to see the day to day.

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 12:56 PM

I think we should expect some emergency rule changes very soon....

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
I think we should expect some emergency rule changes very soon....

I hate a fisherman to talk about "emergency rule", after all the other fisheries have taken place.

My best time to fish is late October, November and December. This is the time frame that allows me "the quiet time" on my favorite rivers.....few bank fishermen, most of the jet boaters are long gone, drift boaters are working the upper areas of the Trib's…..salmon have had more "ocean time" to add weight.

Let's stay with the current scheduled season!!!!!!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 05:34 PM

I wouldn't change anything unless escapement numbers are not being met. I would think that if the majority of the run went upstream already due to rain we would have some preliminary numbers that would reflect this. Short-changing upstream fisher-folks is not a good idea. Bob R
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 07:16 PM

There were plenty of fish around end of last week and last weekend.
Posted by: Drunkenbubba

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
October 14, 2019

Humptulips, Wishkah, Wynoochee, Satsop, Chehalis …. RAIN IS COMING, forecast 10/15 - 10/19, rain everyday.

Its been a dry period, pretty much, during the salmon fishing year..so far.

OH, for those that LIKE to know how the QIN has been doing on their commercial fishing.....nothing has been posted as of 10/14/19, 6 a m.

See the following....what is posted, at this time, is the catch numbers from last season....The following is the WDFW web address that will show the QIN catch..

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/landings#

Dumb question, but how accurate are the QIN catch reports? I know that in previous years I have checked out where the netters moor their boats behind Qmart and saw plenty of dead fish in the water between the boats and bank. Are these included or are they considered incidental catch?

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 08:51 PM

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 08:53 PM

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 08:54 PM

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/15/19 08:57 PM

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/16/19 12:58 PM

Folks: To be clear, I wasn't advocating for emergency closures. I was expressing concern over the allegedly poor gillnet catches, the reason being I suspected (based on recently past travesties) that we might be shut down. Did we just not get the right report?

Either way, as someone who does almost all his fishing from the bank and in rivers, I am very much in favor of keeping the fishery open. Hell, extend it through January... I'll play!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/16/19 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: fish4brains

Lol the pigpen

Re: Gill Net Schedule Chehalis River, 2019 - 10/20/19 05:42 PM

No videos here....Just NT Gillnet Schedule:

10/21, 10/22, 10/23, 10/24

10/28, 10/29, 10/30, 10/31

The NT Gill nets will be working the Chehalis river both above and below the 101 Bridge.

NT will be netting 7 a m - 7 p m... un marked Chinook, steelhead and sturgeon MUST be released.

Hopefully if you are a sports fisherman, you got to an area that had fish. There were lots of Coho, and also many jacks caught, hope you got fish.