Forks Area River Closed

Posted by: RUNnGUN

Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 06:22 AM

Must be really bad? How are the tribes dealing w/ it?

Quillayute River and tributaries (Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel, and Calawah rivers) to close to fishing
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 07:13 AM

November 1, 2019

Quillayute River and tributaries (Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel, and Calawah rivers) to close to fishing

Action: Closes to all fishing.

Effective date: Nov. 4, 2019 through Nov. 22, 2019.

Species affected: All fish species.

Location: Quillayute River and tributaries (including Sol Duc, Dickey, Bogachiel and Calawah rivers).

Reason for action: Early season abundance indicators confirm the returning Quillayute River wild coho salmon run is below harvestable levels. This conservation measure is necessary to allow more fish to reach the spawning grounds in order to meet wild escapement goals.

Additional information: The Quileute Tribe, Olympic National Park, and WDFW have agreed to close their respective fisheries to protect wild coho. The rivers will re-open to fishing on Nov. 23, 2019, when coho have cleared the fishing area. See special rules for each river in the Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet. Wild coho release will remain in effect for all rivers.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 09:51 AM

I guess it is easier to just shut everything down then just have you release any wild coho you might encounter.
SF
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 04:05 PM

We had some great days on the sol duc this year. Some of the best I've ever had.

I think it has more to do with low water than bad returns...

Hoh is going to be busy...
Posted by: Blu13

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 06:47 PM

I made a few trips. Here is what I saw and info I gathered from locals I trust when I get reports.

The Coho run did not materialize like they had predicted. I heard of 1 good day on the Quileute where most people got fish or limited on hatchery Coho.

Seemed like the ratio was at best 4 or 5 Un-Clipped fish to every 1 Hatchery fish. I saw a # of days where it was very spotty. A few fish, then nothing for sometimes hours. The internet etc has more people going over there. A lot of those people have NO CLUE as to what the proper way is to release a fish or the tools (pliers) to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Hooking Mortality of Wild Coho was taken into consideration. When you see people dragging Wild fish up on the bank, struggling to get the hook out and then kicking the fish back in, it hurts us all. A lot of people are ignorant and are bringing that mentality over there. I do know the Quileute tribe has sat across the river over the years and watched the poor practices and have relayed those feelings to the state and park officials. It was a smart move.
I did suggest to a park official that they make an effort to educate the people that fish the park on how to take care of a fish so it has the best chance to survive. Seeing dead, chrome Coho floating down the river from being hooked is not a good thing if you are trying to keep a river open.
Posted by: eddie

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 07:50 PM

Blu, if you think "outsiders" use bad practices for release and locals do not, then you have not been paying attention.

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/05/19 09:12 PM

I never said the locals are not doing the same thing. I pay attention to lots of things. When you see multiple groups showing up of 5, 8, 10, 12 people it changes things. Some have a clue, some don't. In some cases it just multiplies the issues.

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/06/19 07:39 AM

Hanker I totally understand and agree. I made phone calls on that one reminding government officials that it had happened in the past more than once.

I was giving my thoughts about the Coho shutdown. The park going to "release all wild fish" has created some issues since the rules took affect. Lots of encounters with fish having to be released. I've been told that the tribe has brought up their concerns in discussions/negotiations.
Posted by: On The Swing

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/08/19 10:44 AM

Classic shortsighted hankster...heaven forbid anyone forgives or move on from stupidity in the past to make progress in the present!
Let's all just jump on the bigot train and point fingers while getting nothing done, hanks the poster child (pun definitely intended)

Meanwhile despite what thaxor might have said I certainly didn't see that good of fishing, as did my guide friends.
We also have only 50% of egg take at the humptulips hatchery, and the grays harbor coho have ceased, for the time being, to be showing up in good numbers.

But ya, no cause for worry let's just let all the guides from puget sound come on out and pound on the stocks as well...tell your buddies as well, never been a better time to be a joke ass fishing guide, I'd LOVE to go earn a killer check off of [Bleeeeep!] a public and publicly funded resource for my own personal profit while giving absolutely dick back to it.

Seems like a win/win for the future
#maga2020
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Forks Area River Closed - 11/08/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: On The Swing
Classic shortsighted hankster...heaven forbid anyone forgives or move on from stupidity in the past to make progress in the present!
Let's all just jump on the bigot train and point fingers while getting nothing done, hanks the poster child (pun definitely intended)

Meanwhile despite what thaxor might have said I certainly didn't see that good of fishing, as did my guide friends.
We also have only 50% of egg take at the humptulips hatchery, and the grays harbor coho have ceased, for the time being, to be showing up in good numbers.

But ya, no cause for worry let's just let all the guides from puget sound come on out and pound on the stocks as well...tell your buddies as well, never been a better time to be a joke ass fishing guide, I'd LOVE to go earn a killer check off of [Bleeeeep!] a public and publicly funded resource for my own personal profit while giving absolutely dick back to it.

Seems like a win/win for the future
#maga2020

I did skip the [Bleeeeep!] show on the quill this year and sought out some less heckled water. Obviously n=1 observation isn't gospel.
I did have a good season so far though, on the hump for kings and duc/hoh for silvers.
Hopefully egg take gets met and if it needs to get shut down so be it.

I echo the guide comment... it seems to have gotten exponentially worse the last 5 years.