Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13

Posted by: bushbear

Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/08/19 05:30 PM

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
https://wdfw.wa.gov/

November 8, 2019

Salmon fishing to close in Marine Area 10, part of Marine Area 13, the Green River, and Minter and Kennedy creeks

Action: Closes salmon fishing in areas listed, except in Marine Area 13 EAST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park, where salmon fishing remains open, all chum must be released in addition to wild Chinook and wild coho.

Effective date: Nov. 12, 2019, until further notice.

Species affected: Salmon.

Locations:
Marine Area 10 (Seattle/Bremerton Area).

Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound) waters EAST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park.

Marine Area 13 (South Puget Sound) waters WEST of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park. (This includes Case Inlet, Henderson Inlet, Budd Inlet, Eld Inlet, Totten Inlet, Hammersly Inlet, and Oakland Bay.)

The Green (Duwamish) River, and Kennedy and Minter Creeks.

Reason for action: In-season information indicates lower than expected returns of chum salmon to south Puget Sound waters. WDFW is implementing this rule to meet chum salmon conservation and escapement objectives.

Additional information:
Year-round fishing piers (as listed in the Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet) are excepted from this rule change and remain open as listed.

Salmon fishing remains open in the eastern portion of Marine Area 13, east of a line from the southernmost point of Devil’s Head (at the southern end of Key Peninsula) to the eastern boundary of Tolmie State Park, as part of the 2 salmon daily limit. Chinook-min. size 22”. Other salmon species no min. size. Release all wild Chinook, wild coho, and chum. View a map of the area at https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-11/marine_-_area13_11-8-19.pdf

Please see the 2019-20 Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet for additional rules or visit the WDFW website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations.

Information contact: David Stormer, Puget Sound recreational salmon manager, 360-902-0058; or Mark Baltzell, Puget Sound salmon manager, 360-902-2807

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

Persons with disabilities who need to receive this information in an alternative format or who need reasonable accommodations to participate in WDFW-sponsored public meetings or other activities may contact Dolores Noyes by phone (360-902-2349), TTY (360-902-2207), or email (dolores.noyes@dfw.wa.gov). For more information, see https://wdfw.wa.gov/accessibility.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/08/19 10:00 PM

Hey, the good news is that squid fishing is still open........
Posted by: eddie

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/09/19 06:57 AM

Ouch!
Posted by: eddie

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/09/19 09:19 AM

The only good news part of this story is that the Muckleshoot nets will not be going in for Elliot Bay and the Green River.
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/14/19 05:58 PM

I know not many, if any of you, would be seen in minter creek fishing for chum, but what is going on there seems to be what the department is doing everywhere. I was a bit surprised last week to see them shutting it down but decided to wait to see if what I was seeing was what was happening. Well, this week they issued the numbers in. This year on the 14th the hatchery is reporting 2984 fish back to the hatchery.

This years report
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- U 2,984 - - 2,474 - - - - - 25 485 11/13/19

Previous years
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- U 951 - - 288 - - - - - 1 662 11/13/18
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- U 3,070 - - 1 - - - 3,069 - - - 11/15/17
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- U 2,419 - - 2,417 - - - - - - 2 11/16/16
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- H 2,220 - - - - - 2,085 - - 135 11/10/15
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- H 419 - - 391 - - - - - 26 2 11/12/14
MINTER CR HATCHERY Minter Creek- H 1,097 - - 1,088 - - - 7 - - 2 11/13/13

In case you have trouble understanding this, what it shows is that except for perhaps 2015, we are running at or way above previous years. Without a significant rain, these numbers could be indicating one of the strongest runs yet.. But, we still have a conservation closure.

It appears they need about 2500 to spawn and they release up to 10,000 up stream. So, the hatchery already has its numbers, but I am not sure if they have a set number they have to release up stream. Anyone able to explain this?
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/15/19 04:59 PM

Not sure if asking helped, but it obviously didn't hurt....Got this back a few hours after I asked about the numbers.... I have to give the department a hand for responding quickly. I feel like going in the morning. With out seeing an official release I may be the only one there. I had a chance once before when no one was bothering them and had a few grab a tipped jig.

Hi,
Last Friday we had concerns about south sound run-sizes on both hatchery and natural production. Since we had more fish move in this week we are re-opening Minter Creek tomorrow. It is our belief that the run-sizes are lower than pre-season and the low water in most of these streams has a lot to do with the lack of chum entering them.
Hope you have a great weekend.

Mark

Mark Baltzell

Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife

Puget Sound Salmon Fisheries Management
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/15/19 10:08 PM

Came out today from WDFW via emailed rule change couched in wording that they anticipate meeting spawner goals.
Posted by: Bay wolf

Re: Salmon closures in MA 10 and part of MA 13 - 11/17/19 08:35 AM

Minter snagging hole it up and running....