No SRC this year ?

Posted by: Sol Duc

No SRC this year ? - 11/19/19 12:05 AM

Just wondering.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/19/19 08:25 AM

The SRC has been cancelled for this year.

Most past participants are either too busy, don't care, or a bit burned out on the last few years of poor hatchery steelhead returns, crappy water conditions, etc.

The SRC had a good run, but it's time to put it to bed this year.

Who knows, maybe it will come back in a future year when there appears to be more interest.

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/19/19 12:08 PM

Sadly, there isn't ever going to be more fish and rivers that have them.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/19/19 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: elparquito

Sadly, there isn't ever going to be more fish and rivers that have them.

Sad, but that's the bottom line. The heyday is done and gone. Get used to it. Does Bob even book early winter trips any more?
Posted by: willie makeit

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/21/19 10:42 AM

Sad, always wanted to see this in all its glory.
Posted by: Bent Metal

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/21/19 08:21 PM

Why not have it in the summer for warmwater fish, or spring trout? Steelheading is done, put a fork in it.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/22/19 08:10 PM

smallmouth maybe?

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/24/19 09:54 AM

SRC for ditch pickles?

Kill me.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/25/19 11:42 AM

I’m in for bass!
Posted by: SRoffe

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/26/19 06:19 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun tossing crank bait or jigging worms with Snoopy Rods. grin
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/26/19 07:28 PM

Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: No SRC this year ? - 11/28/19 05:31 PM

Not that im the authority by any means but IMO maybe its early but maybe not, would have been a slow SRC this year. Worked the livin crap out of every nook and cranny from hatchery to wilsons today and the results are not good. Got some gorgeous fish but not hatchery winter runs. We got one wild summer, one wild coho (bright), one of the most beautiful sea run cuts i have ever seen and a bunch of smolt. Fun day but didnt see one winter hatch hooked. Ouchy!
Posted by: thaxor

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/01/19 01:42 PM

We floated Wilson to richwine Wednesday and had no luck, just some trout on beads. Humptulips Monday with no luck. Bank fished a few hours in other water as well. Been a tough week.

Did get some surf perch at Rialto.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/02/19 08:34 AM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Not that im the authority by any means but IMO maybe its early but maybe not, would have been a slow SRC this year. Worked the livin crap out of every nook and cranny from hatchery to wilsons today and the results are not good. Got some gorgeous fish but not hatchery winter runs. We got one wild summer, one wild coho (bright), one of the most beautiful sea run cuts i have ever seen and a bunch of smolt. Fun day but didnt see one winter hatch hooked. Ouchy!

Danny,
Let’s see a pic of that cutt.
SF

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/02/19 12:10 PM

Thanks for the reports gentlemen and I think we all made the right call.
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/04/19 04:57 AM

Wish i would have thought of taking a pic Brian. It had that awesome golden sheen thing going, looked super mean. Caught quite a few cutts over the couple days but not like that one. Did finally get into a few hatchery fish. Whats weird is we released a few wild winters too, and no they were not tweener summer fish. These were actual winter wild steelhead. Suppose they could have been larger miss clips too. Didnt look too close at dorsal condition.....
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/04/19 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
Wish i would have thought of taking a pic Brian. It had that awesome golden sheen thing going, looked super mean. Caught quite a few cutts over the couple days but not like that one. Did finally get into a few hatchery fish. Whats weird is we released a few wild winters too, and no they were not tweener summer fish. These were actual winter wild steelhead. Suppose they could have been larger miss clips too. Didnt look too close at dorsal condition.....

If the nets are out that would make sense. Early component wilds used to be plentiful before Bolt. Intense early netting about wiped them out. The netting schedule says open Mon.- Fri. through Dec. 13th. If crabbing is good their could be little netting participation. Anyone know for sure?
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: No SRC this year ? - 12/05/19 08:50 AM

I "heard" that the crab are being checked often for "soft shell". At this time there is not a QIN crab season taking place. I also heard that once the QIN starts their crab season.....its a 45 day period before the NT can start their season.

I also know that the in river "set and gill net season" is very liberal.....I did go to town, Aberdeen, and saw no gill net boats, only a few set nets. I've heard that many of the "long net fishermen", have hung their nets.....now choose to "do the crab fishery".

Nothing official about my post, just rumors and seeing whats going on in the river.

Chehalis River, where I fish, is about the same level as in September.....the river itself is so clear that I can count rocks on the bottom, in 6' of water.