Snohomish-Sky Closure

Posted by: Blu13

Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/17/19 07:50 PM

So much for fishing the Sky. WDFW announced the anticipated shutdown starting on December 19th until they meet egg take goals.

Throw in crappy reports from some coastal rivers and it looks like it will be a long dry winter by the fire.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/17/19 10:01 PM

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

https://wdfw.wa.gov/

December 17, 2019

Stillaguamish and North Fork Stillaguamish rivers closing to retention of hatchery steelhead

Action: Closes the mainstem Stillaguamish and the North Fork Stillaguamish rivers to retention of hatchery steelhead.

Effective date: Dec. 19, 2019 until further notice.

Species affected: Hatchery steelhead

• Stillaguamish River, from the mouth upstream to confluence of the North Fork Stillaguamish and South Fork Stillaguamish rivers.
• North Fork Stillaguamish River, from the mouth upstream to Swede Heaven Bridge.

Reason for action: The Whitehorse Ponds hatchery does not have adequate early winter steelhead broodstock on hand to meet egg-take goals.

Additional information: Fishing will reopen if egg-take goals are met. Retention of wild steelhead is unlawful statewide.

Information contact: Team Mill Creek, 425-775-1311.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 07:27 AM

What should be wake-up call is that a hatchery run of fish, with little or no marine mixed stock fishing on it, can't even return enough fish to sustain its artificial run then something is really wrong out there. At so many levels.
Posted by: Bobber Down

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 09:05 AM

Depressing news but the norm these days. Don't know how our local tackle shops stay open.

BD
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Blu13
So much for fishing the Sky. WDFW announced the anticipated shutdown starting on December 19th until they meet egg take goals.

Throw in crappy reports from some coastal rivers and it looks like it will be a long dry winter by the fire.

While they don't replace steelhead, but there are other things to target during the winter if you get bored watching the fire.

There should be a ESA listing for Puget Sound steelhead anglers announced any day now.....we are on the verge of extinction.

I agree that the small tackle shop business is a tough one these days.
SF
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 04:50 PM

There goes Reiter in the morning. smile
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Hanker
Originally Posted By: Bobber Down
Depressing news but the norm these days. Don't know how our local tackle shops stay open.

BD

We have no local tackle shops in the Olympia area anymore, unless you count our local fly shop. There used to be several plus another couple fly shops. They all bit the dust about a decade ago. I find myself shopping at Sportco almost exclusively, sometimes I’ll hit Cabelas (disappointing always) or Verles in Shelton for a last minute necessity.

I wish there was a Sportsmen nearby.
Posted by: CedarR

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/18/19 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Hanker

I find myself shopping at Sportco almost exclusively, sometimes I’ll hit Cabelas (disappointing always) or Verles in Shelton for a last minute necessity.

You're not the #realhankster, he prefers Dicks...
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/19/19 09:19 AM

So much for my annual Xmas morning venture to the local crik. I guess I'll do something with the dogs or possibly go on a hunt. BA HUM BUG!
Posted by: GPS

Re: Snohomish-Sky Closure - 12/21/19 11:50 AM

On the plus side, if there was a successful wild salmon spawn the flood-level high water should take care of most of it.