WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS??

Posted by: Bay wolf

WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/29/20 09:47 PM

A friend sent me this link today:

Can’t we all just get along?

As you watch this WDFW/Tribal funded propaganda film, remember these points:

1. YOU WILL BE LOCKED OUT OF TRIBAL/WDFW NEGOTIATIONS.

2. WDFW CLAIMS IT IS UNDERFUNDED, YET SPENDS MONEY ON THIS?

3. COMMISSION CHAIR CARPENTER SAID HE SUPPORTS FULL TRANSPARENCY, BUT THE TRIBES SAY NO!

4. TRIBAL FISHERIES USE THE BUREAU OF INDIAN AFFAIRS TO EXPEDITE THEIR FISHING PERMITS, AND USE THAT TO LEVERAGE WDFW. NOAA IS AWARE OF THIS COERCING AND IS COMPLICIT.

5. NORTHWEST INDIAN FISHERIES COMMISSION CHAIR LORRAINE LOOMIS REFUSED TO REPLY TO OUR LETTER WHERE WE EXPLAINED THAT SECRET MEETINGS ARE AN OBSTACLE TO COOPERATION.

6. WDFW IS CURRENTLY FIGHTING A LAWSUIT BY IT’S CONSTITUENTS BECAUSE IT REFUSES TO FOLLOW STATE LAW AND USES THE TRIBES AS AN EXCUSE.

So, you can see how utterly ridicules it is for this video from
WDFW and the Tribes to act like the RECREATIONAL ANGLER (you) are to blame for the lack of cooperation!!

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/29/20 10:36 PM

Ok...I know I’m a zealot about the rights of Washington Citizen Sportsmen. I’ve been told on more than one occasion that “you catch more bees with honey than salt”. I’m not “anti-tribe” and certainly understand that the issues facing the HUGE UPHILL task of trying to save our salmon are complex.

I have championed EXACTLY what this video is saying. THAT WE ALL MUST WORK TOGETHER IF WE HAVE ANY CHANCE OF REALISTICALLY SAVING OUR SALMON.

And I’ve explained to the Commission, the Director and to Lorraine Loomis.

“BY REFUSING TO ALLOW EVERYONE TO WITNESS EVERYTHING IN THE MANAGEMENT OF OUR FISHERIES, IT IS CREATING SUSPICION, DISTRUST AND FRUSTRATION!” And in doing so are defeating any hope of cooperation.

Asking everyone to come together and sing Kumbaya, without treating everyone as an equal is just plain disingenuous.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 07:03 AM

All are not equal, some are more equal than others. Plus, their bank accounts are bigger.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 09:48 AM

Who'd a thunk it? Another "We can have our cake and eat it too." All we have to do is work together. Gee, never heard that before. Oh wait, yes, I have, repeatedly for the last 40+ years no less. Yet in that time of trying to have our cake and eat it too while working together, most of the wild salmon and steelhead in WA have been ESA listed. And since listing they continue to decline. That tends to make this scientist believe that the root cause or causes are not being addressed, possibly not even being identified directly so that the conversation of how to address them, assuming that's even possible, can begin.

Bay wolf, where did your friend find this video? I'm curious about the process of its distribution, and what audience demographic it's aimed at.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 10:12 AM

Sg,
Can't speak for BW, but I saw the video pop up in several places on FB.

I watched the first few minutes then stopped watching it as it was easy to see what direction it was headed without watching the whole thing.
SF

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 10:39 AM

From my understanding, he was sent a link from someone associated with Ron Garner, PSA.

It's interesting that the First Nation gentlemen appearing in the video is Mr. Shawn Yanity, Vice Chair for the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission.

Perhaps we should all contact Mr. Yanity and ask him to work with us to remove the Co-managers opposition to full and transparent open meetings. Explaining that conducting those closed door meetings is only creating mistrust and is a roadblock to cooperation.

Shawn Yanity, Vice Chair NWIFC
Stillaguamish Tribe
PO Box 277
Arlington,WA 98223
Phone: (360) 652-7362
Posted by: OncyT

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 12:09 PM

This appears to be a brand new video. The first mention of it that I could find was on a WDFW facebook post from early this month. It suggested that the full video would be released at the end of January....so just now.

The credits say it was funded by the Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program (ESRP), NOAA and WDFW. We all know who WDFW and NOAA are, but I didn't recognize the ESRP. They are apparently a partnership between WDFW, the Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO) and the Puget Sound Partnership. The ESRP was established by the Legislature in 2006, which appropriated capital funds to habitat restoration and protection projects in Puget Sound. The ERSP manages four grant programs aimed at recovery of the nearshore ecosystem in Puget Sound.

Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program

The film is obviously aimed at the habitat restoration community, primarily within Snohomish County based on the participants and watersheds that I recognized. I think we can all agree that the entities depicted in the video need to cooperate to be successful. That message of cooperation can certainly be expanded to include the harvest management community as well.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 12:36 PM

Thank you OncyT for looking into and educating. I stand corrected in stating that it was partially funded by tribal money, as it appears in what you’ve told us that it was not.

I do agree that cooperation must be built on trust, and trust can only be built on full transparency in everything.

I will edit my previous post to reflect my mistake.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 01:49 PM

I dunno man, I'm having a hard time conjuring up rage for a message advocating cooperation,

fb
Posted by: NickD90

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 01:54 PM

A 20 minute video with this level of direction, production & editing costs in the low 7 digits to produce. I'd be all for it, if'n it wasn't so hypocritical while coming at a time of budget crisis.

The cost of this could have funded or mostly funded the Master Hunter Program for 2020.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 03:49 PM

Copyrighted by WDFW. Fair question to ask the total cost and how much from each of the three recognized contributors.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Stilly Chinook are probably the most limiting stock to our fisheries. It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together.

We are not there yet with some of the other tribes.
Posted by: OncyT

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry B
It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together

I worked in Indian Country for a whole lot of years and don't know of any tribe that doesn't have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/30/20 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: OncyT
Originally Posted By: Larry B
It also seems that Mr. Yanity and the Stillaguamish tribe have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish based upon my several limited discussions with him. In short, we have some significant mutual goals where we can both benefit from working together

I worked in Indian Country for a whole lot of years and don't know of any tribe that doesn't have a goal of habitat recovery for the good of the fish.

My experience also.

Imagine what we could accomplish if we were all pulling in the same direction?

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 11:50 AM

In light of the recent release of the Documentary, and the words that Mr. Yanity spoke of unity and cooperation, we've sent Vice Chair Yanity the following letter. Our hope is, that if true cooperation is the goal, he will understand that it must be built on trust, and trust is accomplished by honesty and openness no matter how uncomfortable.

Here is the copy of the letter:

Vice Chair Yanity,

As we watched the recent documentary, “The Lifeblood”, we were struck with how sincere it was in promoting cooperation.

We too have been advocating for cooperation in saving our salmon and for the need for all the people to come together and work for solutions.

We’ve spent many, many hours testifying to the WDFW Commission, both Directors Unsworth and Susewind and have even reached out to Chairperson Loomis about the need to foster cooperation between all the Co-managers.

Based on what we heard you say in the film, we’re sure you will agree that in order to have cooperation, there must first be a foundation of trust. Trust built on confidence that all sides are willing to be open and transparent no matter how uncomfortable. Anything less breeds distrust and suspicion and consequently is counter productive to cooperation.

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of misdeeds and unethical behavior in our histories. To say there were many injustices done would be an understatement. And it is also understandable that for some, these unfortunate dark stains have lingered and spoiled the hope for mutual trust. We must not forget however, no matter what our differences, we can save the salmon and make a better life for all humans by working together.

As you said, cooperation is the key. It is only through working together that there is hope. However, there is an on-going issue that is standing in the way that we cannot ignore. An obstacle that seems to have a rather simple solution, but to date has been left to fester and grow. The issue of prohibiting public oversight in the North of Falcon negotiations is creating that very obstacle.

Mr. Yanity, as the vice chair to the Northwest Indian Fish Commission, you are in a unique position to help remove this obstacle.

We fully understand that these meetings have been labeled “Government to Government” and that there are discussions in those negotiations that may be uncomfortable. We are also very aware of the issues that occurred in the past, when observers were allowed in these meetings. However, we think you will agree that if we continue to look at the past, we cannot build the future.

If we really hope for meaningful cooperation for the greater good, we must be willing to eliminate as many obstacles to trust as possible.

The recreational fishing community is as dedicated to conservation as any. Therefore, if we could find ways to come together through a nexus of mutual trust, the good we could do would be exponential.

Truly, there are methods to open these meetings to the public without creating interference or undue burden. Technology already exists and is used in the open meetings of our WDFW Commission. A live stream video, broadcast on the public network as they do for the Commission meetings might be a viable method for example.

Vice Chair, time is running out for our salmon and whales. Everyday we waste pointing fingers and blaming others is another day we have failed our responsibilities to our land and our children.

As we’ve explained, we brought this to the State. The leadership of WDFW has repeatedly told us that the decision to open these meetings rests in the Tribal Co-managers hands or in the courts. They assure us that WDFW leadership wants to have full transparency, but the Co-managers have not agreed.

We’ve recently sent an open letter to our Commission members, asking them to reach out to Chair Loomis and to you, and again address the need for open and transparent management and the importance it has to trust in the co-management process.

Please, my concerns are to point out what has become a road block to trust, and I hope you understand that my intent is to ask for your help, and not engage in finger pointing.

Let’s work together to restore the trust. Please, contact the Commission Chair, Larry Carpenter and work towards the real cooperation you spoke about in the documentary.

With respect,

Washington Citizen Sportsmen

Posted by: Steeldrifter

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 01:40 PM

Excellent letter! Now to see what kind of a response, if any, it gets.
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 01:50 PM

I received an RFP to produce this video in late 2018 issued by WDFW. I was excited for the opportunity given my inherent interest in and familiarity with the subject matter. However, the stated budget was $50K and couldn't touch it for that so I passed. Interviews, writing, storyboarding, filming, editing, production, etc. - being as efficient as possible we pegged it at $150K. Nicely produced - just hope it brings about some positive effect!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 02:11 PM

Pete, the letter has a very professional and respectful tone of sincerity and a CLEAR message.

Will it resonate with tribal co-managers? Mebbe THIS time?
Posted by: bushbear

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 02:33 PM

Both letters are very clear and professional, Perry. Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 07:18 PM

When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 01/31/20 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
When you are asking somebody to come to the table, there has to be something in it for them. What does the NI (rec) side offer to the Tribes in exchange for "open" meetings? They gonna get more fish? What would they get that they don't have already?

Valid point. Let’s see...

The tribes have all the cards.
They not only don't want open meetings, doing so would appear weak. They have absolutely no pressure at all to do anything they don't want to.
They have a federal right to fish.
They have us dependent on them to get permits from NOAA
They have the money.
They have the politics and
they have the public relations.

Your right...I can’t think of a single thing more to put on the table to give up .....ummmmm....since they already have the Skokomish, maybe we can offer them the Chehalis.

I suppose we CAN continue the policy of “appease” and wait. Dunno. I guess it all depends on how much more you guys are willing to give up.

Or maybe, just maybe the Tribes aren’t the monsters in the dark after all, and they might see that we really all do need to work together to save our salmon. I guess time will tell. At this point...we don’t have much left to give up, but the longer the tribes take to build trust and cooperation the more we all lose.

Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 10:51 AM

What's in it for the tribes? Simple, as stated above, transparency and trust. So far the tribes haven't needed to value either. Maybe they'll change their minds; maybe not. I think it's worthwhile to point out, as Bay wolf has done, that transparency and trust are on the table.

Now, about that cooperation. It remains to be seen whether that cooperation can be secured in the absence of transparency and trust. From Inslee I would say no doubt. Probably from Susewind too from my observation. But not all of the Legislature is for sale to the tribes, so we'll just have to see what transpires. BTW, time for everyone to make and send their 2-week reminders to Legislators about WDFW's budget request, support or oppose, or conditionally support. Both your district senator and representatives and to the Senate Environment and Natural Resources committee members.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 12:30 PM

Note that the Tribes are pushing hard to be the only folks allowed to provide Sports Betting in the state. More money to "donate".
Posted by: darth baiter

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 01:41 PM

Given history, I dont think "trust us we can help you" is much of a carrot in tribal country.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Given history, I dont think "trust us we can help you" is much of a carrot in tribal country.

I suppose that’s true...
I guess we deserve everything that’s happing...sins of the father and all that.

I wonder if that’s the consensus of the First Nations citizens, that it’s time to pay back?
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
I guess time will tell. At this point...we don’t have much left to give up, but the longer the tribes take to build trust and cooperation the more we all lose.

Oh, we have a LOT more that we as rec's can lose. I still have pretty good fishing 12 months out of the year, although I have to drive a bit and spend some coin. The unfortunate thing is that we rec's have nothing of value to give. The Department does not seem to act in our interest, so we don't have anything they want,

fb

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/01/20 03:44 PM

And money-wise, this isn't a pink year so WDFW can't gin up license sales with "The Pinks are Coming".
Posted by: Larry B

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/02/20 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Or, what might they lose by being intransigent on agreeing to open meetings - a concept some of the tribes espouse as a worthwhile concept at least for their internal governmental activities?

I recall testimony by tribal representatives during the legislative hearing over the closure of early winter run steelhead (thank you WFC) where those tribal reps pushed for cooperation.

Yet here we are.

Re: WDFW Underfunded Yet Uses Your Money for THIS?? - 02/03/20 10:58 AM

Just read the article about the Lifeblood Documentary in the latest issue of Northwest Sportsmans Magazine.
LifeBlood, Northwest Sportsman Magazine

Interesting read.

Perhaps members of Puget Sound Anglers could contact Mr. Garner and ask him for his assistance in ending the trust killing closed door meetings, just as we did to Vice Chair Yanity?

Mr. Garner's special relationship with the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission would place him in a unique position to speak on behalf of the non-tribal citizens.