Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead

Posted by: slabhunter

Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/28/20 05:04 PM

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/willapa-bay-tri...eelhead-returns
Posted by: SpoonFed

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/28/20 05:33 PM

I can't say what I really want to right now.
Unbelievable.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/28/20 06:24 PM

Damn. My pessimism is ramping up. Another one bites the dust. What's next? Forks? Almost the only game in town. Even more now, can't imagine the pressure there for those that need the Steelhead fix. Trout on the fly East right around the corner anyway.
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/28/20 08:03 PM

Welcome to the new norm...
Posted by: Brent K

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 12:22 AM

The conspiracy theorist in me would say the closures are retaliation for a sportfishing group daring to stand up to WDFW. We all know the conservation reason is BS because WDFW demostrates year after year that they don't care about that.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 08:50 AM

A wild steelhead population must be really, really low if the impact of incidental mortality associated with CNR fishing, which is the standard regulation for wild steelhead in WA, is too much to achieve conservation needs.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 09:48 AM

I still find it hard to understand why the season is even opened given the low forecasts.

Also, I am unsure why we have to wait so long for PSF's. They are based either on broodyear escapement or smolt counts. Both available years ahead. For example, we should have the 2021 Pink PSF's now; there is little new data that will come in other than fry counts which still gives us a long run-up.

WDFW should be able to make a PSF as soon as the escapement number is available. Annually, as marine survivals and other factors are available they can update them. But by the time the annual NOF comes around they should have has 1-3 years of pre-planning already completed.
Posted by: riverdick

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 10:28 AM

As much as I love chasing salmonids, I guess it's a good thing my dad also introduced me to spinyrays at a young age!

It's the future. We will end up changing our state fish to a yellow perch.
Posted by: Brent K

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 01:17 PM

Invasive species being the future of fishing in Washington makes me sad.
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 02:42 PM

The odd thing about this was Grays Harbor Steelhead closure and steelhead in general were discussed at NOF. Not part of mind you but as courtesy. Mr. Losee took some heat and most gave him good marks for taking the issue vs hiding out like it has been done in the past. Then this and the thing I hear today is, what the hell? Why did not he say he was closing Willapa at the meeting. I think he lost the good will he created by doing just has been done in the past. You would think that somewhere sometime WDFW would get the fact being honest and forthright is good business. You would think.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 04:59 PM

You expecting the tiger to change its stripes?
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Willapa Bay tributaries will close to steelhead - 02/29/20 05:45 PM

With the lower CR closing (below the Lewis) after today there is not going to be much open in Southwest WA.

As has been said in other threads WDFW doesn't have to share here.