Re-Packaging Frozen Herring

Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re-Packaging Frozen Herring - 05/26/20 11:36 AM

I use herring in a helmet head on Lake Coeur D Alene for Salmon. With the helmet and no tides, very little current, and the usual floating stuff you find in Puget Sound, the herring last for quite a long time. Therefore a package of herring can last me well beyond its use date. I usually brine the herring, so it is good for about 3 days of fishing. I don't like re-freezing it in the brine - just doesn't look right. I hate having to throw out the herring so I tried pulling it apart in the frozen package to vacuum pack it in smaller amounts, but I ended up loosing too many scales in the process.

So my question is, does anyone have a good method for re-packaging frozen herring into smaller amounts? Thanks.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re-Packaging Frozen Herring - 05/26/20 05:24 PM

Tupperware containers might work. I would use the best you have. Just to show you have clout in the home!!
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: Re-Packaging Frozen Herring - 05/26/20 06:34 PM

LOL Rabid - That's what I do and then when she complains I tell her she can have them back but they've had fish eggs in them for 6 months!

(Truth be told that usually ends with her flipping me off and me buying her a brand new box of snapware from Costco - just how marriage is supposed to work!)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Re-Packaging Frozen Herring - 06/04/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: OceanSun
LOL Rabid - That's what I do and then when she complains I tell her she can have them back but they've had fish eggs in them for 6 months!

(Truth be told that usually ends with her flipping me off and me buying her a brand new box of snapware from Costco - just how marriage is supposed to work!)
Good man!