E-Tec going bye-bye?

Posted by: fp

E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/27/20 08:49 PM

http://ir.brp.com/news-releases/news-rel...ew-technologies

fp
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/28/20 05:07 AM

Yep, that was sobering news that came out. Seems like we're selling mostly Yamaha these days anyway. Bummer for the great folks working out there in Wisconsin.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/28/20 05:21 AM

Thats to bad, like my ETech 150 2 stroke....hauls ass out of the hole until it reaches top speed.........starts every time even after not being run for a few months. Big thing for me was weight, less than Yahama, Mercury and others.

Oh well, stuff happens.....
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/28/20 09:34 AM

It is very competitive industry. Branding is all over the place. A Tohatsu 150 is a Honda re branded. Small Mercs are made by Tohatsu and it goes on and on. It differs by region and boats. Until recently Yamaha did not do much in the performance world with offshore center consoles gaining popularity running triples and doubles especially after the Verado came out. Yamaha dominated in the PNW as reliabilty not performance was key. The new Yamaha SHO series challenged Merc in the performance area. In the mix E tec had the G2 which was equal too or out performing all. I think the two stroke history of smelly ect. was hard to overcome as perception often becomes reality. DW's 150 with a pump will blow the oars off a standard inline 4 Yammy or Merc four stroke. Verado & SHO about even up so I think history and competition ganged up to get them in the corporate world.

Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/30/20 10:43 AM

In my opionion the writing was on the wall and Covid is just being used as a scapegoat. They've been done for a while..

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 05/30/20 10:49 AM

All true on the above comments. Offering customers 10 year warranties and getting bit by some chronic mechanical issues certainly didnt help as well. I had 3 different Etecs in the last 10 years and had reasonable success. Power was always amazing.

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 06/14/20 08:52 AM

It should be worth noting that BRP is honoring all warranties thru the duration of the warranty.

Bombardier decided to discontinue their Evinrude line. BRP is still stable with their other lines.
Posted by: GodLovesUgly

Re: E-Tec going bye-bye? - 06/15/20 12:44 PM

Same I had a 175 and mechanically it was "okay" but it ran like a bat out of hell when it was running well.