Float Roughing up your Braid?

Posted by: Denham

Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/07/20 12:31 PM

Been getting a lot of line fray when float fishing from what I assume would be the line sliding back and forth through the float while I'm fishing. Some floats it seems to happen worse than others but currently I've just been using Aerofloats with the metal grommets on the end and I'm wondering if those are the main culprit.

I know an alternative would be to use a mono topshot or just cut off the section thats fraying but I prefer to go braid the inline sinker. I doublt I'll be able to fully eliminate this fraying process but I'd like to at least slow it down. So far the best idea I've come up with is to sand down the inside of the grommet with say 2000 grit sand paper. Other than that I should maybe just switch to an all plastic float or something.

Interested to hear if y'all experience this problem and what could be done about it.

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/07/20 02:32 PM

In winter its not that bad fishing 30lb braid but in summer I'm fishing deep holes with 15lb braid since it mends better. More often than not that float is sliding 10ft up my line before it hits the stop. Thats 10 ft of frayed line that needs to be cut after every outing. If I'm cutting off line at that rate I'll have to re-spool before I even know it.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/07/20 03:39 PM

What brand of braid?
If it is P-Line, throw it in the trash and start over.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/08/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By: War-Paint
What brand of braid?
If it is P-Line, throw it in the trash and start over.
rofl I assume you are speaking of hydrofloat? That stuff's crap. I like the CXX though,it's strong. Fishes good. I have no experience with P line braid.

15 braid would be a bit light IMO even for summer runs. If you have trouble mending braid perhaps get a bit longer rod.

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/08/20 05:18 PM

I'm fishing Fireline Ultra 8. No problems mending or anything I just use thinner line because it casts lighter offerings so well. I guess its more so the diameter of 20lb PowerPro as well but the abrasion still happens no matter what size braid I'm using.
Posted by: JussieSmolt

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/08/20 05:28 PM

I feel like all the stiff and easy to mend stuff has a problem with abrasion, especially if it's coated. I like Power Pro SuperSlick.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Float Roughing up your Braid? - 08/09/20 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Denham
I'm fishing Fireline Ultra 8. No problems mending or anything I just use thinner line because it casts lighter offerings so well. I guess its more so the diameter of 20lb PowerPro as well but the abrasion still happens no matter what size braid I'm using.

You might want to check for a "cracked guide", that could be the problem.

I'm fishing 2nd year Power Pro "depth-Hunter", 40#......lots of casting, not many fish...