Queets

Posted by: On The Swing

Queets - 09/10/20 01:06 PM

With some coho hanging around the mouth of the salmon and water levels not predicted to come up soon it needs to be said.

There is a nasty chunk of whitewater just above the Quinault boundary, river squeezes into a fast rocky chute about 25ft wide...
The entry line isn't too bad but it makes you want to float between the 2 very large rocks at the bottom of the run but BEWARE there is a sneaker rock under the surface next to the right rock....floating thru there you WILL railslide it a bit so be prepared.
With these flows the way they are it's gonna be a problem for awhile and probably gonna claim a boat or two if people don't watch out.

On the report side of things, more jacks than adults. Heard of 12 boats on that float last week....Though after floating it yesterday idk why they tried, river was dead. We caught the only adult out of 4 boats. Richie Underwood even got skunked at the mouth of the clearwater the day before when we fished the lower river...fish are juuuust starting to show, most are already lockjawed.

Hope everyone is doing some catching and keeping themselves safe/healthy!
Posted by: DCC

Re: Queets - 09/10/20 02:06 PM

Thank you, Sir.

Re: Queets - 09/10/20 03:59 PM

Yea, and one that some people still don't know about, but like I said at these flows they should or else it might sneak up on them.
Posted by: Streamer

Re: Queets - 09/10/20 10:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Nate.
Posted by: PlanB

Re: Queets - 09/11/20 09:39 PM

Has the bridge boat launch been fixed?
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Queets - 09/12/20 10:19 AM

Always appreciate the heads up on stuff like this. Don't float much these days, but it's always good to know what's out there.

As easy as that river is in the winter, it can really sneak up on you at summer lows. Boulders all over the place (many just out of sight but not out of reach of your boat) and occasional, tight maneuvers around wood hazards... and new, different hazards each year.

A few summers ago, a friend and I were floating the campground down in pontoon boats. After the rapid below the campground, we bounced off submerged rock or three, but it was smooth going, until we were getting close to the takeout and came up on a tailout dropping into a narrow, shallow chute, with a logjam at the bottom end. Pretty standard for our rivers, but this was one where the logjam had a little something special... A big, unavoidable sweeper sticking out of the top end. I instantly got a bad feeling and got out to scout it, but my buddy committed. I knew this was going to be trouble, so I started running down the bank toward the jam, almost knowing I was going to have to make some sort of rescue. Fortunately, my friend's pontoon had a standing platform, and as soon as he figured out he wasn't getting around the sweeper, he turned into a mountain goat.

He stood up, stepped on to the sweeper just as his boat was about to hit it, and somehow made his way to a stable log in the jam where he could stand (amazing what we can do when we know it's do or die). His boat eddied out and came right back to him, but he had lost an oar. I had him throw me his rope and jump on, then pulled him around the log. Good thing we were close to the takeout, because, I had to row for both of us the rest of the way. Luckily, it went pretty smoothly.

Can't say it enough. Be careful out there... especially at low flows.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Queets - 09/12/20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted By: PlanB
Has the bridge boat launch been fixed?

I haven't used that launch before but stopped by Thursday to look. It looked too steep to back a trailer down, and you can't drive down to the bar because the river has eaten out the road too much for my comfort.

Could definitely yard a boat up though... I've got a cat and a beater aluminum so I'm not as worried about breaking stuff.

What do people do for turnaround usually? I got a number a while back for a guy from clearwater but lost it. I haven't asked Dean but I assume he doesn't go that far south.

Re: Queets - 09/12/20 05:29 PM

60 or so from the shuttle services I have heard of..idk, I also run 2 cars or bring my scooter.

The "ramp" works just fine the way it is, make sure your ropes and strap is good and don't be a nancy
*don't back straight down, there is an obvious ramp sidehlling to the upstream side
Posted by: PlanB

Re: Queets - 09/12/20 08:41 PM

For years it was a pretty smooth little gravel bar, a bit steep but I could back right to the water. Couple of years ago the bar was pretty much washed out, super steep. Last time I was there I talked to the neighbor. The silt was so bad he couldn’t drive his quad down there. I grew up out there and it was one of my favorite drifts.
Posted by: Kyle_A

Re: Queets - 09/22/20 08:00 AM

Was such a great river for so many years. Last year was my last float. Counted 17 drift boats and 60 bankies. I'm moving on to hike-in small trout streams where I can fish in solitude. Gawdam people wink
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Queets - 09/22/20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: PlanB
I grew up out there and it was one of my favorite drifts.

Originally Posted By: Kyle_A
Was such a great river for so many years. Last year was my last float. Counted 17 drift boats and 60 bankies. I'm moving on to hike-in small trout streams where I can fish in solitude. Gawdam people wink

Welcome to the increasing population growth in the Pacific Northwest. More people are retiring early, un-employed, or a 100's other reasons.

What used to be, will never be again!!!!! Even trips to BC and Alaska are not a guarantee of success........and the cost can run into the $5,000 +
Posted by: Blu13

Re: Queets - 09/22/20 01:58 PM

I think one of the biggest factors is lack or opportunity. As we speak. Sky is shut down. It was loaded with fish below the Wallace the other day. Samish closed on the 13th. Skok closed. Skagit & Cascade open but with closures for tribe to net. Add in the other rivers and people have limited places to fish.

Years ago I had friends give me [Bleeeeep!] because I went to the coastal rivers when the Sno/Sky was full of Coho. They asked why I would spend the $$. Now there is no choice.

Throw in the Steelhead closures and we're screwed. That is why I stepped up and paid the $$ to get into some of the timber lands.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Queets - 09/23/20 04:04 PM