New book on WDFW

Posted by: Carcassman

New book on WDFW - 01/16/21 08:12 PM

Bruce Crawford, formerly of WDG, WDW, and WDFW has written Preserve, Protect, and Perpetuate. A History of Washington State Fish and Wildlife Management. The book includes sections on the history of WDF by Duane and Lloyd Phinney.

I have only skimmed it but find it fascinating. The book started with the Tribes pre European arrivals includes the treaties and moves on thorough all the changes in management and organization. A lot of the book is about the people and how they did their jobs.

The book is self-published, so its not on Amazon. If there is interest can post the details.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/17/21 08:19 AM

Having known those three and many others at the Department(s), I would be interested in the book.
Posted by: OncyT

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/17/21 11:06 AM

Are you mentioned, HM? You should rate at least a chapter!

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/17/21 11:24 AM

Not that I have found so far. There I one picture that I was likely in, but was listed as "unknown". The book is good, in my mind, that there seems to a lot of evenly dealt with information. That is, like the staff had issues with the Director over management, so they formed a Union. Or, the Director created executive (at his pleasure) positions from positions that were formerly civil-service protected. So, staff voluntarily demoted.
Posted by: OncyT

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/17/21 12:26 PM

Hey, "Unknown" isn't bad!
Posted by: Tug 3

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/21/21 09:08 AM

I think more than Bruce are writing books related to WDFW. I just had mine self published. Titled "FISHCOP". It relates my experiences pre and post Boldt violence, and then experiences on the Columbia. Another officer has also written "Confessions of an Urban game warden" My book is available on Amazon in a kindle form or direct from me in book form.

I have a lot of respect for Bruce Crawford and can't wait to read his book.

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/21/21 10:55 AM

It's pretty good. It is self published. Here's the scoop:

Contact Bluefish Publications LLC at 360-366-4970

or Bluefishpublications@gmail.com

Already in its second printing. I'll have to look up, and get, Fishcop. PM me the details; I don't do Kindle. Greg Haw wrote the Confessions book, which looks interesting. His Dad, Frank, wrote one from his perspective as a sport fishery bio and the administrator.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: New book on WDFW - 01/21/21 07:05 PM

Congrats on the book tug.

Did you include a chapter on JJ?