Good backpacking/travel rods for trout?

Posted by: No More Ice Fishin

Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/04/21 02:47 PM

Anyone find any high quality models they like? I'm looking for a couple in the 7 foot range, ideally 3 or 4 pieces, probably more light action than ultra light. Nice to be able to launch a small spoon into an alpine lake, but also be able to twitch small jigs.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/04/21 03:18 PM

These might fit the bill.
SF

https://tforods.com/traveler-rods/
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/04/21 07:42 PM

I bought an UL St. Croix Triumph Travel on sale. I like it a lot. I have an Okuma SST UL 2 piece and much prefer the St Croix which is 4 piece. St Croix has a lot of finesse and feel for a short rod.

I’d check out the slightly heavier St Croix than the lightest one I bought. I’m may buy the heavier rod in the series for saltwater tropical fishing.
Posted by: OceanSun

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/04/21 09:13 PM

For backpacking - especially into areas that have a mix of stream and lake/pond fishing - I like the style with a reversible butt section to accommodate both a spinning reel and fly reel. I know there are much better quality ones out there but I'm still packing the Eagle Claw I first started using as a kid. It's really nice to be able to both flick a fly on a stream or pond as well as cast spinners in a lake.
Posted by: NickD90

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/04/21 09:23 PM

Tenkara is a lot of fun and ultra, ultra light + tiny in the pack.
Posted by: No More Ice Fishin

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/05/21 08:03 AM

Thanks Stonefish. Those are sweet looking rods. I'm intrigued. I'm worried the light action model might not be quite light enough (lure range starts at 1/8), but hard to know without feeling it in hand.

I fished with a buddy's Triumph for smallmouth and browns for a couple days on a float trip. Not bad rods, but they don't have a 7 foot or longer model that's UL or L.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/05/21 09:58 AM

In the fly rod genre, the Redington Classic Trout is a super good rod and reasonably priced. Most of them are 4-piece, but there are a couple models available in 6-piece, the 3 and 5 wt. You could add a teeny tiny spinning reel to your backpack and be able to huck light spinners and spoons pretty well.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/05/21 02:37 PM

03/05/2021

Wright & McGill Rods

These were the best, 50 years ago. Many high mountain trout were caught by 1.

This was a 4 piece, came in a aluminum tube, and had a cloth cover.

For years I had 2, then like many others on here, walk in to fish high mt. lakes got to be to much for me to do.......

Do a search on the internet, you might luck out and find 1 for sale????

Good luck !!!!!
Posted by: bushbear

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/09/21 08:12 PM

Was shopping Sportsman Warehouse in Silverdale today. They had Fenwick, Wright and McGill travel rods, and one other brand whose name I don’t remember.
Posted by: Larry B

Re: Good backpacking/travel rods for trout? - 03/10/21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
03/05/2021

Wright & McGill Rods

These were the best, 50 years ago. Many high mountain trout were caught by 1.

This was a 4 piece, came in a aluminum tube, and had a cloth cover.

For years I had 2, then like many others on here, walk in to fish high mt. lakes got to be to much for me to do.......

Do a search on the internet, you might luck out and find 1 for sale????

Good luck !!!!!

The W&M backpacker rods come up periodically on the Seattle Goodwill internet sales website.