Cork handles

Posted by: Salman

Cork handles - 12/24/21 04:59 PM

Why did so many manufacturers go away from cork handles?
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Cork handles - 12/25/21 02:58 AM

From my experience it is weight. Combined with the materials used to make lite weight rods and reels they are much better. If the rod is for trolling / down riggers cork is a better option.
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: Cork handles - 12/25/21 07:52 AM

Rods don't need handles now.
No reel necessary for the type of fishing our peers left future generations.
Posted by: steely slammer

Re: Cork handles - 12/25/21 08:21 AM

Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Cork handles - 12/25/21 08:56 AM

It’s because good cork is expensive as hell now. Limited supply, and lots of demand from wine snobs. Rod building is sort of an afterthought.

For a typical steelhead rod you’re looking at probably at least 50 bucks for anything decent. Doesn’t work out for turning a profit, especially when carbon fiber is readily available for about the price of regular grade cork, and the rod companies have somehow brought the crappy EVA foam handles, and split grips into fashion, at a massive savings in cost.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Cork handles - 12/26/21 08:29 AM

If you want cork, pay for it. Manufacturers will give the public what the public will pay for.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Cork handles - 12/26/21 09:59 AM

12/26/2021

If you like to fish "dyed eggs", cork is not your best choice, stains and tough to clean.

My choice when salmon fishing, spoons and plugs, handle material doesn't really matter. I use some old FenGlass rods, that are OLD and still have the original cork, my choice for great feel and cold mornings.

Oh how I miss not being able to fish the Wynoochee, Satsop, Chehalis late Coho. In the old days, late November - 1st part of February those fish were scary big.....memories of a fishery soon to be long gone........too many nets, guides, and people in general.....grrrrrrrrr
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: Cork handles - 12/27/21 09:05 AM

Chum Man's correct, supply of decent cork and the demand from deeper pockets has made it tough. If money's no object you can still buy quality cork rings, glue em up, and turn down a fine grip, but all my recent builds over the last 6 yrs or so have gone to carbon fiber, which I kind of like better now anyways,
fb