Tracking Escapement

Posted by: seabeckraised

Tracking Escapement - 01/20/22 09:52 AM

Figured I’d start up a thread instead of clogging others. I’ve been following escapement numbers this season given the closures to both recreational and (as far as I know) tribal net fisheries. Just curious to see where the numbers end up. LOTS of variables in play, so these are just some of the numbers I’ve been watching as of today.

Wynoochee Dam Trap 2022: 260 (H), 11 (W)
Wynoochee Dam Trap 2021: 314 (H), 14 (W)

I guess it’s easiest to track given that nearly all fish, both hatchery and wild, will go through this collection facility.

Will be following throughout the winter and spring.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Tracking Escapement - 01/20/22 10:47 AM

A suggestion as to how to look at the wilds, especially. Year to year escapement is close to meaningless; you will need to look back to the brood year. For SH, that's (approximately) 4 years ago. For coho, 3. When I looked at wild SH (and this back in the 70s/80s) there were essentially 4 "cycles" just like Fraser sockeye. So, for example, if last year we had 200 escapement that this year it is 100 it looks like a disaster. But, if 5 years ago we had 350 and 4 years ago 75, then this year's return is actually an improvement over brood.
Posted by: darth baiter

Re: Tracking Escapement - 01/20/22 10:48 AM

For those that like to surf themselves, the above escapement numbers and many others from WDFW can be found at:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/management/hatcheries/escapement#weekly-reports
Posted by: seabeckraised

Re: Tracking Escapement - 01/20/22 10:51 AM

Carcassman... great point. I’ll have to check those numbers out as well.
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: Tracking Escapement - 01/20/22 12:06 PM

Your on the right track. Utilizing the escapement reports by week you can compare years as long as the hatchery production remains the same. Take Satsop Late Coho at Bingham you just compare years so this years is showing larger returns just compare it to each of the previous years to get a better view of things. This only gives you a general idea but it is a tool. The Wynoochee trap reports year to year are the same type of tool and when coupled with the spread sheet on escapement I set out to folks again you can get a flavor for how things are going. If you want the spread sheet just PM me and I will get it to you.

So Late Coho 2021 Jan 13 (same week for 2022 ) 1290H 35W 5J 2022 2750H 115W 10J. Then you have realize the ocean survival play a roll but you can look at Normal timed Coho for % reference on plus or minus. Looking at the numbers normal timed Coho over performed the preseason predictions but nothing like we are seeing with the Late Coho minus harvest. The wild number at 328% over 2021 is eye popping.

DW tracks the Wynoochee trap reports and last time we talked about this issue it was very similar to what Bingham's was showing for Coho. Steelhead not so much as this year lags behind last year.