? of the day

Posted by: steely slammer

? of the day - 06/09/22 02:19 PM

a few yrs back the Chehalis tribe was going to put a hatchery on black river.. did that ever happen?. cause i never hear anything about it. if so what are they raising?

then again i don't pay that much attention
Posted by: Todd

Re: ? of the day - 06/09/22 05:21 PM

I think it opened in 2008 or 2009...no idea what it's status is now.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: ? of the day - 06/09/22 05:47 PM

According to Google maps, there is a tribal hatchery on the lower Black River near Oakville.
Posted by: GoPro Hero

Re: ? of the day - 06/09/22 06:07 PM

That should be good. The chehalis tribe should plant millions of salmon and steelhead smolts. My buddys bro was telling me how the Quinault tribe has such a good fishery in their river because they plant millions of fish and they know how to manage the fishery. He told me he kills them at cook creek. It seems like the state has a thing or two to learn from the tribes about how to manage fisheries.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: ? of the day - 06/09/22 07:22 PM

The Quinaults have the river on their reservation and control access. Chehalis, who are not a "Treaty Tribe", have no control over the fisheries on the returns until they get on rez.
Posted by: deadly

Re: ? of the day - 06/09/22 10:21 PM

I hope you're right carcassman and they only have it closed for kings, and different regs for coho. What a joke.
Posted by: RUNnGUN

Re: ? of the day - 06/10/22 08:30 AM

Originally Posted By: GoPro Hero
That should be good. The chehalis tribe should plant millions of salmon and steelhead smolts. My buddys bro was telling me how the Quinault tribe has such a good fishery in their river because they plant millions of fish and they know how to manage the fishery. He told me he kills them at cook creek. It seems like the state has a thing or two to learn from the tribes about how to manage fisheries.

Keep in mind the Quinault's have had winter steelhead return issues at least the last 3 years, that match the rest of the state. Low enough returns on the Quinault and Salmon that have prompted either partial or complete closures for rec guides as well as commercial netters. Like the West Coast there tribal waters are not immune to poor ocean conditions.
Posted by: Paul Smenis

Re: ? of the day - 06/10/22 08:33 AM

Pssst...it's a troll account
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: ? of the day - 06/14/22 04:16 AM

Quote:
Chehalis, who are not a "Treaty Tribe", have no control over the fisheries on the returns until they get on rez.

Right on, as a non treaty tribe the Chehalis tribe is not involved in management of the whole basin that is the QIN. They have a different way of describing the math now but back it was 1/3 of 1/3. Upper basin is 1/3 of the Coho production and they have rights to harvest 1/3 of the 1/3. Oh and the tribal fishers must be on tribal land and their harvest is part of the states fisheries not tribal.