Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries -

Posted by: 20 Gage

Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/25/22 10:49 AM

I know that a year or so ago, there was some talk here of Lithium Ion battery usage for electric boat motors like Minn Kota bow mounts, and others. If memory serves, Dakota Lithium was mentioned, and there may have been others. Anyways, do any here use the lithium batteries for their trolling motors?

I’m a Minn-Kota - Rip Tide - iPilot user, and am looking to buy a new trolling motor battery, and the super lite weight lithium options look reel inviting, especially after dealing with some Group 27 lead acid monsters for the last few seasons.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/25/22 11:56 AM

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1043666/1.html

That might be the conversation from a couple of years ago, FWIW.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/25/22 12:24 PM

I use a li0n a couple of days per week. Takes a special charger. Fast charges up to 80% then slows for the top off.

I use the electric to steer the bow, have a fin on it as well. I have an electric start kicker for thrust. But it does not rev high enough to charge.

Battle born.
Posted by: snit

Re: Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/28/22 10:17 AM

Have a 36v MK Ulterra, with (3) Cabela’s Group 30 AGM batteries. For the last 3 years I’ve “almost” made the change to liOn’s; with cost being the main deal breaker, along with the need for a special charger, plus (depending on brand) specialized conditions for cold weather applications. A lot of my boat use is in the winter in Eastern Washington, and while my boat has a full cover, it lives outside. I don’t want to R&R batteries every time I use the boat, plus the original AGM’s keep performing after 6 years. Once they’re TU, I will move to liOn but I just couldn’t pull the trigger until then.
Posted by: 20 Gage

Re: Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/28/22 11:01 AM

Thanks for the info here guys !

I’m 99% sure we’re gonna do the LiOn this time around. Just wading through all the reel issues , and rumors concerning their usage as a primary energy source for my MK RT bow mount motor has been interesting. Like the ones noted above. Charging should not be an issue as my current charger will do just fine. Ultra “cold” environment issues here should not be a problem either. So there is the higher cost issue that sorta comes and goes. It seems that any US sourced lithium batteries are quite a bit higher in cost than those (most of the rest) from chine.

The stuff from chine is by far the cheapest, and a lot of the different brand names offered are in some cases, all the same battery, just different labels.

It looks like I can pay $400 or $500 for a LiOn that will fit my needs, or As low as $250 for an energy equivalent from an unknown labeled battery from chine.

Then there are rumors of new batteries with new cases and labels using old used LiOm plates from defunct batteries on the insides, so it looks like one needs to wade carefully through the option prior to commitment...
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: Speaking of Boat Engine Batteries - - 07/30/22 12:04 PM

The new batteries are awesome. The thing is to do some math. Try for your trolling motor to be below 85% of your draw capacity. These batteries are supposed to last many more recharge cycles. So one could plan on 1.5-2.0 greater lifetime when the capacity will dip below 80%.