John's River Chum?

Posted by: eddie

John's River Chum? - 09/26/22 08:05 PM

I have always felt that this run starts around the 15th of October (depending on rain) and peaks right around Halloween with decent chances through mid-November. Does that square with what you know? Thanks!
Posted by: Rivrguy

Re: John's River Chum? - 09/27/22 05:23 AM

Normally Chum show hard 3rd week of Oct. and peak around last week of October but this is down low in the river. In dry years they drag out but this info comes from past commercial harvest. Normally it rains and the river blows around the first week of Nov and nobody fishes and a rather large portion of the run comes up be it Coho, Chum, and even Chinook. That is the disconnect between harvest data and actual fish behavior.
Posted by: eddie

Re: John's River Chum? - 09/27/22 02:23 PM

Thanks Rivrguy! I appreciate it.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: John's River Chum? - 09/27/22 07:47 PM

A " few"years ago (seems like everything was a few years ago) I saw a handful of chum in the shoreline sloughs on the Johns River WMA. It was around Veteran's Day and they were fairly colored up but not very fungused (yet).
Posted by: slabhunter

Re: John's River Chum? - 09/30/22 11:43 AM

Was that John's Creek (ma13)? We used early chum as a biological filter to sacrifice chum, for delayed release chinook in the South Sound.

Chum still return there in low numbers. The winter chinook program was canceled as Percival Cove water quality failed.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: John's River Chum? - 09/30/22 02:40 PM

No, it was Johns River. I know about Johns Creek, too, having been there to deal with various water issues.