New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A

Posted by: bushbear

New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A - 12/19/22 11:18 AM

The IPHC has come out with new length/weight tables for each of their management areas. Here's a link to 2A (WA, OR, N. Calif.)

https://www.iphc.int/uploads/pdf/lwt/iphc-2022-lwt-2aimperial.pdf
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A - 12/19/22 01:32 PM

How come my favorite 53 inch halibut lost 20 lbs?
Is the old scale too generous, southern halibut skinnier than northern halibut, or have our halibut shrunk over time?

fb
Posted by: bushbear

Re: New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A - 12/19/22 09:35 PM

Try this link

http://iphc.int/management/research-and-monitoring/pacific-halibut-length-weight-relationships
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A - 01/03/23 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
How come my favorite 53 inch halibut lost 20 lbs?
Is the old scale too generous, southern halibut skinnier than northern halibut, or have our halibut shrunk over time?

fb

I was thinking the same thing. Kings and halibut are surprisingly similar in proportional length/weight relationships. Was shocked to see that a 44 inch halibut is only 28 pounds. A 44 inch Kenai king weighs 38-39 pounds.

Then I saw this... net weight vs live weight.

Net weight: The weight of a fish with head and internal organs removed. In Pacific halibut, that is approximately 75% of the round weight. (c.f. round weight)

Details, details....
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: New IPHC length/weight tables for Area 2A - 01/03/23 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

I was thinking the same thing. Kings and halibut are surprisingly similar in proportional length/weight relationships. Was shocked to see that a 44 inch halibut is only 28 pounds. A 44 inch Kenai king weighs 38-39 pounds.

Then I saw this... net weight vs live weight.

Net weight: The weight of a fish with head and internal organs removed. In Pacific halibut, that is approximately 75% of the round weight. (c.f. round weight)

Details, details....

Doh!
Thanks for pointing that out, makes me feel better!
fb