Whats a good first rod/reel?

Posted by: Fish Stalker

Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 01:19 PM

Hey guys I have been thinking of getting into flyfishing for the past year or so and am looking for a good all around rod and reel. I want to fish for Winter Nates, Summer Steelies and catch some chums on this rod...I would prefer a Loomis Rod. Let me know what you all would recomend and how about a good reel as well as the kind of line that you use on yours! Bob I know you told me what you and fishgal use but I forgot.

Thank,
CATCHAZZ laugh
Posted by: S W J

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 01:43 PM

I knew you would want to flyfish after you hooked that chum.
good luck
Justin
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 02:45 PM

Travis-
Give me a price range for the setup and can make some recommendations.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 03:27 PM

My price range doesnt really matter I can afford a GL3 or something of that price range, and I dunno maybe up to $150 for a reel?
and Im not sure how much line cost so I cant tell ya about that.
Thanks
CATCHAZZ laugh

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 03:57 PM

Travis-
My first suggestion would to take a basic intro flyfishing class or atleast a flycasting lesson or two because once you decide on the weight and length of rod, you must purchase a rod that suits your casting stroke, style and you enjoy throwing.

Any decent shop will let you chuck any rods you are intrested in, which will in the end, decide which rod you are going to purchase.

I own a GL3 and it is a great rod for the money but also take a look at the Sage VPS which isn't much more then then the GL3 or the Winston Ibis which is actually less and it is a 4 piecer.

You want a #8 rod, especially if you are going to chase after chums and big Skagit nates...and you want a 9'6" rod which allows you extra line control, added distance when you are waded up to your chest and better roll casting abilities.

The Sage VPS 9'6" #8 runs $350 and the Winston IBis 10' for a #7 runs $295 as does the 9'6" for a #8 while the GL3 runs right around $295 as well...but like I said, cast before you buy!!!

When purchasing reels always buy American made as they are machined to much better tolerances, come with lifetime warranties and certain models are not discountinued every other year.

I like both the Ross Cimmaron and the Lamson Velocity in the $150-$200 price range. I prefer the Velocity as it is a large arbor (faster line pick up, no need for line stretching) and a 100% sealed drag.

I own a couple of the Velocity's bigger brother, the Litespeed in both trout and steelhead sizes and they are by far my favorite reel!!

Just buy a Rio Versi-tip for now which gives you a floating line and 3 differnt sink-tips without the hassle and added expensive of buy extra spools.

In my own personell steelhead and salmon fishing, I carry 3 spools with me though. A straight long bellied floating line, a Rio Anadramous Dredger which allows me to fish 24' sink-tips of differnt rates (150, 200, 300, 400 and 500 grains) and a homemade sinktip system which lets me fish 15-18 tips of varying sinkrates...but if you want to keep it simple and yet mantain versatility, purchase the Rio Versi-tip.

Make sense?? smile
Posted by: PFunk

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 05:47 PM

Catch, Loomis has a 9'9" Rod. I'm not sure of the model. You think I would know what model because I bought it last summer. However it has been sitting in the case and I'm stuck here in the office. I matched it with a (Tionga ?) Reel. I think it would be a nice setup if I ever get out and use it. I also have the Yancy Flyline system with various sink tips. Total cost around $650. This should get the job done. Hope to chase some chums around soon. Let it rain! laugh

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 06:24 PM

Damn Ryan, way to bust out a post!!! I think I will stick with a loomis 9'6" or 9'9" GL3 8wt.
And either of those reels that you sugested as well as the line.
This weekend I fished a fly rod for chums for the first time and hooked one my second cast!!!from that point on all I could think about is catching another on a fly rod!!!

I could also go with a GL2 for price reasons but either way there good rods

thanks for all the help...all I will need after this are some good flies to use

THANKS
CATCHAzz laugh
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 07:00 PM

Well another site to put my bad luck on or hex on. I had a friend(mtlhead) build me a rod for the winter time. It was built on a St Croix Avid blank. It is a 9' 6" 8wt. While you are looking to get a Gloomis think about a St Croix the're also in that price range.

While I'm on this subject I am going to add that I can't seem to cast anything with this rod. I have a Rio versitip system. And Sunday I was trying to cast a weighted fly and all I seemed to do is just lob it. I thought that if you had the bigger rod,bigger flies would cast alright.
Posted by: Divers

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 09:35 PM

Catch, the Loomis 9'9" is the FR1178. I believe they discontinued this rod this year. You might be able to find it still in lot of the fly shops. I like the Sage fly rods but the Gl3 is a nice rod for the $. I have to agree with Sparkey on the Ross reel. I started out with a Cimmaron C4 and it will do the job fine. Lifetime warrenty and the customer service is one of the best with a 2 day turn around.

If you don't wanna spend on extra spools go with the Rio Versi Tips. 4 lines in one. You can get this for aabout $100 to $120

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 11:07 PM

Yea that 9'9" is discontinued frown oh well, it also doesnt look like there is a 9'6" for GL3 all I can see is 9ft in the 8wt..I am not sure if that is long enough or not, what are your guy's opions?

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/29/02 11:30 PM

Travis-
I would seriously look towards a 9'6" but 9' will work...

Old Man-
Hard to say what is going on...if I ever run into you up on the Stilly, I will be more then happy to lend you a hand...ever make it down to Bellevue?...because if you do, I would be more then happy to give you a few casting pointers and troubleshoot your cast.
Posted by: Kev

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 01:28 AM

Wow Sparkey, you should start hiring yourself out...you are that good and honest.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 01:36 AM

I noticed that All Star makes fly rods. anyone have any thoughts on that? I dont need any damn IMX quality rod just something GL2-Gl3 quality, I am sure that that should >???

Travis

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
Wow Sparkey, you should start hiring yourself out...you are that good and honest.
???
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 04:28 AM

Try Rainshadow.

I have a few of the 43 million modulas ones and I like them very much.

TH builds them and uses them himself.

They are great quality and They have a lifetime warantee through TH. He will build them however you want using the components you want.

A few of the Peninsula guides have switched over to them over the past year for both fly and gear rods. Its hard not to with the High quality and low price as well as the lifetime warantee.

Give them a shot at the price your not loosing anything.

I baught a 4# and a 8# from him this summer and it cost me I think $330 for both.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 12:26 PM

Sparkey. Thank's for the invite. I haven't been down that way in about 3 years. Is that shop in the Kmart shopping center. I have to make sure as to where you are at so I don't drive myself nuts trying to find it. Your not to far from Crossroads are you? One more thing what are your hours there. I wouldn't want to make that trip and not find you there. what
Posted by: Bob

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 01:50 PM

A real bummer they discontinued that rod (the 1178) ... for the money, it was a super rod for folks with a limited budget or a good back-up. For that matter, I fish mine a lot still ... and still enjoy it with my lighter to medium-weight lines.

Maybe you can still find one. We've got a couple of the rainshadow blanked rods, but haven't had much chance to fish them yet, so the jury is still out.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 07:18 PM

Hey Rich thanks for that info. Can you tell me what 8wt you got from TH? I looked on there site but he didnt have any fly rods on there just says that they make them.
So about $180 to get a rod and have it look how you want it too from TH?
thats a great deal.

Yea bob that sucks that they discontinued that because I was really thinking of getting that one but...Owell...but I am gonna go through loomis to get the rod not a store if I choose Loomis that is...
THANKS
CATCHazz
evil
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 08:13 PM

I dont know the number but mine is a 9" 8# in the 43 million modulas.

They make a 51 Million Modulas but after I fised the 43 million I decuded I didnt need anything better. No point.

Call TH he can give you any info you need and tell him I sent ya.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 10:15 PM

Its tough to find a 9'6" Fly rod in the 7-9 wt category.
I might be stuck with a 9ft

Thanks for all the help so far guys!!!

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Man:
Sparkey. Thank's for the invite. I haven't been down that way in about 3 years. Is that shop in the Kmart shopping center.

Your not to far from Crossroads are you?

One more thing what are your hours there. I wouldn't want to make that trip and not find you there.
Jim-
Yep...same shop...Kmart is no longer there (keeps the riffraff out now laugh )...so now it is just an abandoned building with a massive and empty parking lot, perfect for casting!

Just bring your entire setup and I'll see what I can do.

My hours are variable so just let me know when you might be coming down and I'll let you know if I'll be there!

Travis-
There are alot of 9'6 and even a good number of 10'er in 7 and 8 line weights...just be open to other possibilities, aside from Loomis. wink

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/30/02 11:42 PM

I guess that mine are about the same. Wife works so I have to watch kids. When she gets a day off I usually go fishing. I'll just have to try and squeeze some time in for this. beer
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 12:35 AM

I use a GL3 1088 with a Lamson reel and love it. Only Fly rod I own and works real well for me. The lamson just says 4 on the side, dont know what model it is, anyone know? It was a hand-me-down.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 01:15 AM

Sky-Guy-
Assuming that it is a hand down, I highly doubt it is a new Velocity or Litespeed.

So in that case it would be an LP 4 (Does it have a sold frame (non-ported)?)...a reel that has almost a cult-like following based upon the fact that it was pretty much the first not overly expensive machined aluminum, anodized finish, disc drag reel to hit the market.
Posted by: Steelheader69

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 02:22 AM

See Trav, I told you. You just gotta listen to me in the first place. Go try a few out, just like I had said in first place. beathead

Don't go by just the money factor alone. If you find a few in your price range, don't just jump on the brand name you like. Try the rod out (which is hard if you go with a custom built unless you know someone with same rod). Your casting style may not go with the rod you prefer.

I have two 8wts, an older Sage RPL, and a DS896. Both are damned good rods, and both have served me quite well. Both work well with my casting style, and luckily, I got both much cheaper then buying a new low end fly rod. laugh

Hmmmmm, hey sparkey, you have any idea what happens if you return an older RPL that's been snapped? What do they replace it with. I think I may have knicked my rod tip fighting a king around the sled a couple weeks ago. Is fine, but you never know after a knick if it'll break. I have warranty card and all, so I'm set about return. But I know they don't make the RPL's anymore. Plus, I love this rod to death, don't know what I'd do without that rod.

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 02:31 AM

Jerry-
They still make the RPL actually...it is just now marketed as the VPS which is the RPL blank with stripped down componets and a slightly lower price.

If the rod breaks, send it back to Sage and they will replace the broken tip section for $20 (if it was bought post-unlimited lifetime warranty).

Sage has never paid much attention to warranty card...whether you send it in or not or are the 1st owner of the rod or the 100th, they will warranty the rod.

A story about Sage's warrant service....Doublespey and I were walking out of a run on the Skykomish this past June. He stumbles across a 7100-2 RPL (a real sweatheart of a rod!!) butt section with about 2 inches of the tip section still attached (the rest of the rod was nowhere to be found). The rod had been there for an extended period of time as the fighting butt had rotted away and the cork on the handle was seriously pitted.

Sent it back to Sage and 3 weeks and $20 later, Brian had a brand new tip section with a brand new fighting butt attached to the butt section of the rod and cork on the handle totally cleaned up and reparied. laugh

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 02:52 PM

How does a guy go about testing out a fly rod?
I only fish with one person that even fly fishes at all.
I did finally find a SAGE rod that is 9'6" 8wt.
All the others have been 9' . That rod is the Sage DS2 and cost about $235.
I figure the 9ft might be better for fishing for chums but I dont have a clue.

I am planning on having this rod for this winter steelie seasons and my goal is to get a couple nates on it!!!

Thanks,
TRAV
beathead

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 10/31/02 11:57 PM

Travis-
Just go to any decent flyshop and they will let you take it out in the parking lot and chuck differnt rods with demo lines.

The DS2 is a great rod at $235 but I would also look at the Scott Alpha 9'6" for a #8 at $265...give or take $15.

The Scott is nice because it is a tad faster and lighter then the DS2...and the Winston Ibis at $295 (#8 9'6") is an absolute canon.

And if you are looking at Sages and do not mind spending an extra $100, take a serious look at the 9'6" #8 VPS which I mentioned prior. 5 years ago this was the ultimate steelhead rod and the VPS/RPL series are still considered by some to be the best casting line of flyrods ever produced.

...and like I said before, go 9'6" as in all situations (except maybe landing fish) the 9'6" offers every possible benefit over a 9'er.

Do end up having to buy 1 rod twice. beathead
Posted by: TH

Re: Whats a good first rod/reel? - 11/02/02 11:09 PM

I started fishing the Rainshadow blanks two years ago and have been very pleased! I was a Sage guy before that.. but as mentioned above. I now fish the Rainsahdow blanks.

We have several models to choose from (sorry for not getting them on the webiste.. ) If you don't see something let me know and I can have it built smile

RX7 9'6" 5-9 weights. 2 piece.
RX8 9' 3-9 weight
and a bunch of 3 piece and 10/11, and 12/13 rods availble as well.

The RX7 rods run between $160-$190
the RX8 between $180-$230
All with Ti guides

TH