Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions?

Posted by: Kev

Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 05:19 PM

Looking to see what some of you think is the best Saltwater fly reel on the market and why? What you look for in a drag or not, size of reel, etc.

Kev
Posted by: FlyH20

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 07:11 PM

Kev,

The best saltwater fly reels on the market today are the Tibor, islander and Ross Canyon Big Game. They are all machined reels that come with a waterproof enclosed disc drag system. The only problem with the Tibor are the difficulty in changing spools, and the fact that it runs about $615.00 as does the Islander. For the money I think you can't beat the Ross Canyon Big Game reels. They have all the same features as the two mentioned above but are a little less than half the price. The canyon also is very easy to change out spools. I own a couple of Ross Big Game reels and have been very happy.

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 07:19 PM

Hey JoJo!

Was thinking about you last night as I was watching TV. Do you have an e-mail address?
I didn't see one under your profile.
Thanks for the feedback, shoot me some mail when you have a chance.

Kev
Posted by: Divers

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 08:19 PM

I agree , go with the Ross.
Customer service at Ross is A+ and they make great reels , and you don't need to sell the farm.
Posted by: flyboy

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 09:02 PM

I too have had good luck with Ross reels. All of mine are the lower end (cimmeron/gunnison) and have been to the salt a fair number of times. Unfortunatly not to the bonefish fllats or blue water. I try to rinse them off after each trip, but that doesn't always happen, something about the fridge being to close to the sink...

Do any of you use specific salt water lines when hitting the sound? I tend to just take an old floater and/or a clear intermediate line.

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/14/02 10:35 PM

That was going to be my next question flyboy. If you are bucktailing does it matter? Casting to Coho in rips might make a difference.

Kev
Posted by: Demon Spey

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/15/02 01:47 AM

Ross Canyon Big Game reel, hands down. That reel could stop a run-a-way submarine fishy what
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/15/02 03:09 AM

Anyone tried out the Charleton (produced in Burlington WA) in the larger sizes?
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/15/02 05:03 PM

Word has it that Abel makes a pretty good saltwater flyreel too! laugh laugh
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/19/02 01:48 AM

All the reels mentioned would not provide any disappointments in my book, but in my humble opinion the Ross Canyon Big Game is it for the moola. As far as lines I am pretty jazzed about the rio's striper cold water 26ft tip system, which includes a clear intermediate tip, it shoots pretty nice and you can get tips to 600 grains
Posted by: OB

Re: Best Saltwater Fly Reel - Opinions? - 11/27/02 02:36 PM

Look on EBAY for the Ross Canyon BG4. Guys buy them for trips to the Bahamas etc... use them for a week and then want to sell them.