Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis

Posted by: KingFisher85

Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/18/02 10:04 PM

Could someone please help me out. I'm in need of a steelhead on the fly. I did not get one in the Summer so maybe this winter. I have been going at it for 3 years now and nothing.
So could someone please help me out here. I mostely fly fish for steelhead on the North/East forks of the Lewis River.

Thanks for any help.
Posted by: Divers

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/18/02 10:39 PM

I have a good luck with single eggs in Orange and red witha white dot.
But the one fly that always seems to work for the past 2 years has been these. Especially the first one with the pink and tan Rabbit fur.
Posted by: Old Man

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/18/02 11:01 PM

I can't believe it and I thought that I was the only one that is fishless. I've been after these elusive fish for a while now and I would like to land one also. I try and try but just can't seem to hook up with them. And I thought that I had all the bad luck slap
Posted by: KingFisher85

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 12:35 AM

I have been tossing out all types of egg sucking leaches and nothing and many other flys that I have no idea what they are called. I got a salmon before I got a steelhead.

Would anyone like to hook up sometime and show me some tools of the trade?

Thanks
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 01:34 AM

Kingfisher-
Presentation is the key...you must first learn proper presentation and how to better read water...once you manage that you will have no problem hooking into steelies.

At this point, I would search out a couple differnt flies you have confidence in...if you do not have confidence in the pattern on the end of your leader you will not catch fish!

Tie up or buy some GP's in black and orange, some basic marabou spiders and some rabbit leaches and started searching out water that is condusive to the fly and learn how to properly cover that water.

Once you become comfortable then it will be time to search out water where the fish will be and then when you've finally brought a fish or two to hand, start playing around with fly selections and seeing what you like best.
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 02:58 AM

Divers,
your pink and tan (ginger) leachy looking pattern is the same color scheme I've been using on the Green in Utah this fall below Flaming gorge. I'm assuming they are taking them for a flesh imitation since undoubtedly some of the spawners are going belly up and decomposing. Great looking pattern...when I get back to Wa. I'll have to tie up some in that scheme and fish them under a "Sparkey Bobber" (indicator).
Posted by: Divers

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 08:14 AM

Chuck, yes, at first I was hitting a lot of white fish with it too. It has been a good all around fly for me. Includind Salmon.
Posted by: havnfun

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 11:31 AM

beer the go to fly for is a wade of marabou blue over purple,or blue/black and full body meal in a mouth full fly.
Posted by: Downriggin

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/19/02 01:20 PM

Sparkey said it best, "presentation." Any fly will catch a fish, but if it isn't in front of the fish, it ain't going to take it. As a rule of thumb look for water traveling at a speed of about a man's walk and less than 6 feet. Early morning or high water, try throwing your fly close into the bank and working out towards the seams..

As far as patterns go, use one that you have confidence in. Everybody has a particular pattern of choice. I like fishing big marabou patterns tied on tubes... followed by Spey/Dee's and then GP's.

Lastly, hang in there... Winter can be especially tough with a fly.

Downriggin'
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/20/02 08:37 PM

KF85,

As others have suggested, presentation is the key. Fly pattern usually doesn't matter much. Pick something you like; you'll fish it more confidently. Steelhead really don't care. Having said that, there are some general rules. Higher winter flows usually call for larger flies, maybe brighter colored ones, but not necessarily. For the winter, I'll carry mostly size 2 hooks, but I'll have some with me down to size 6 for low, clear conditions.

The best presentation won't hook a fish if you're fishing where the fish aren't. So learn pools that consistently hold fish AND are suitable to fishing a deeply sunk fly. That is critical. A hole full of fish that can't be fly-fished isn't much help.

There are a number of such places on the EF; I'm not familiar with the NF Lewis, but I'm sure they exist. The typical high winter flows on the NF may not be conducive to winter fly fishing, but I really don't know that one.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: Dutchman

Re: Winter steelhead flys for the Lewis - 11/27/02 04:13 AM

hello
took me over five years.Finally this summer,with some guidance from A very kind man,I slayed the summer run.I know winter run is tougher but I am armed now.I have to go in for back surgery in Dec. so maybe around Feb. we could hook up.You could show me the river(never fished it) and I can share what very little I know. Send me an email
Rick