IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody?

Posted by: bongo

IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/20/02 11:42 AM

You know a picture is worth a thousand words..but do any of you expert techno fly fisherman have a video (mpg) of how to tie a quick but good glo-bug...I have seen pictures on how -to, but it struck me that the internet with it's video capability (just download the "avi") would be an amazingly more effective way to share knowledge.

so how about it, which one of you will be the first to create a small video for the web about tying a glo-bug.

thanks

bongo

Van, BC

ps...I would but I am a lousy tier and have no digital video camera. ...I can provide an upload server if needed...

jaggibson@hotmail.com
Posted by: Bob

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/20/02 10:27 PM

A good idea ... I'm probably not much better at tyiong though (they certainly do the job, but I'm less than graceful), but maybe I'll hit one of my buds to tape and we'll get it up smile
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/21/02 12:03 AM

I'd like to see a vid of tying small glo bugs. Like you Bob, mine are servicable but they aren't pretty...especially the two tone eggs. Since moving to Utah, I 've been fishing small (size 12-14) egg patterns. But, creating one that looks decent and not just a glob of yarn on the hook is tough. I have resorted mainly to using glue-gun eggs. They look great, are easy to make, and sink like a rock. Been using two colored eggs, several together to form a gob and white marabou on the collar to represent the membrane...looks deadly and fishes deadly.

I just want to make pretty yarn glo-bugs.
Posted by: Sparkey

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/21/02 01:59 AM

CnD-
Have you tried beads?...I've got a source for some wicked small beads that I am more than positive will put fishies in hand!

Other then that, I am of no help...I do have a good freind who ties an awesome globug but I dont have a video camera to get his technique on film.
Posted by: Chuckn'Duck

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/21/02 11:18 AM

spark,
I've used them often in the Bristol Bay drainages for 'bows where we have to tootpick them at least an inch above the hook. However I've never used them on hook. Seen where it looks like there has been a groove cut or melted intothe bead and then most likely glued on the shank. Email me your source. Thanks, spark
Posted by: hawk

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/21/02 12:57 PM

You can make a great glo bug by simply snelling a hook, then pulling the knowt forward. Take the yarn, pull it tight, pinch it between your fingers, then trim tight to your fingers. You can use multiple colors, and change sizes in a flash. Why waste your time at a vice?

If you want to change colors, slide the knot back, put in the new color(s), and repeat the process. It's the only way to fly. hello
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: IDEA: Video of tying a Glo-bug fly?? anybody? - 11/22/02 04:22 PM

I tie a small (pinky nail size), multi colored glo bug thats looks pretty good and fishes well.
this isnt a very good picture of it, but here it is in action.