Humpy Fly??

Posted by: 3RiversBasser

Humpy Fly?? - 09/14/03 01:32 AM

Fished the sky today with no avail with the bug rod, wacked em' on jigs under a float though. Any suggestions for a good humpy fly on a floating line?
Posted by: fishwhich

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/14/03 04:53 PM

try a pink/white Clouser with large dumb-bell eyes

it worked well on the Skagit a few weeks back, though I tied mine with a medium dumb-bell for use with a sink-tip

good luck!
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/14/03 07:58 PM

Make a pink or hot pink bunny leech with either a chartuse or purple tail. Use either a cone head or large bead for the weight. Try different sized and color combos. Marabou also make a great humpy fly tyed in the same colors.
Posted by: Drew

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/15/03 06:54 PM

This is the recipe that worked this last saturday for me,

Standard salmon hook, holographic tinsel for the body( two layers for eveness), a couple strands each of pink crystal flash and pearlescent flashabou tied in at the top of the tinsel body for a streaming tail, then simply palmer around a good sized pink marabou plume and add a tuft of white marabou simply over the top almost like a hairwing, don't palmer the white, then add lead dumbell eyes(larger ones for the floater, and smaller for the type 3 sinktip) cast out and strip in, vary speeds until they start hammering it...Good luck,
Drew laugh
Posted by: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/16/03 12:41 AM

Would all these work for floating line??

Thanks

Curtis
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/16/03 07:46 PM

Usually a floating line would work. You could also use a intermediate sink-tip line.
Posted by: Varden

Re: Humpy Fly?? - 09/20/03 01:55 AM

Size 10 to 4 hook of about any kind. Appropriate size dumbbell eyes on top (or bead chain). Hot cerise (reddish pink) tail, and body. I have tried a host of combinations successfully so simple hot pink/cerise rabbit strips or the fur from the strips tied in or dubbed with a tail egual to the hook shank works great. You can be fancier but it isn't necessary. It is the colr and retrieve. In a river find a place where the fish are schooled up and handtwist retrieve through them parallel or strip fast next to them and they will take the fly and you won't snag them. In the salt, just strip.

Varden