Trolling flies for trout

Posted by: 3RiversBasser

Trolling flies for trout - 04/18/04 10:34 PM

I'm just getting started fly fishing and was wondering what flies would work well for slow trolling. All i have is a full floating line. Anything helps thanks.
Posted by: HBP

Re: Trolling flies for trout - 04/18/04 10:48 PM

I like Wooley Buggers and Carey Specials.
Posted by: cupo

Re: Trolling flies for trout - 04/19/04 02:26 AM

For planters I troll woolly buggers most of the time in olive or black. I troll them on a sinking tip or floating line. When I use the floating line I use flies with lead wire wrapped around the hook to help get them under the surface. Damsel nymphs are also good to troll around weeds.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Trolling flies for trout - 04/19/04 12:07 PM

wooly buggers are probably the number 1 trolled fly. You might have some problems staying deep if you're using a floating line but add some weight and go slow. Should be ok.
Any ideas of where you are going to fish?
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Trolling flies for trout - 04/19/04 04:41 PM

Use a bead head or cone head wooly bugger. That way if you do strip the fly in you get a nice up and down pulsating motion. Other flies to use are: Carey Specials, Peacock Carey, and more varients of the Carey, soft hackle patterns, and attractor nymphs (Hare's Ears, Prince nymphs, etc.). For nymphs use both weighted (BH or lead wrapped under body) and unweighted.

Also streamer patternd like Muddle Minnows (w/ and w/out CH) and bunny leeches (BH & CH)
Posted by: fred evans

Re: Trolling flies for trout - 04/20/04 11:35 PM

Suggestions really cover the ground. But when you've got a few extra bucks, get an 'intermed. sinking line.' Better yet, an intermed "slime line' which is actually clear; no colour.

This type of line will greatly increase your hook-ups.