Tube Fly's

Posted by: K B

Tube Fly's - 06/08/04 06:10 PM

Any of you guy's use tube fly's for Steelhead?
Posted by: fred evans

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/08/04 06:46 PM

A lot of folks do use tube fly's, and with some success. I used to use them a lot ... until I 'discovered' "Waddington shanks;" far easier to tie on and come in lengths from 1/2 inch to about 3 inches long.

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/08/04 07:08 PM

OK I am new to this what is Waddington shanks ?? Thanks in advance
Posted by: First Light

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/08/04 09:03 PM

Copper tubes from HMH are good. Easy to tie also. Don't know about the Waddingtons though.

FL
Posted by: Homer2handed

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/08/04 10:42 PM

Waddingtons Shanks

There like a long shank hook without the hook.

Here a link so you can see what they look like:

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/Waddington_Shanks.html
Posted by: Preston Singletary

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/09/04 10:36 AM

Tube Flies; A Tying, Fishing & Historical Guide, by Mark Mandell and Les Johnson, which had been allowed to go out of print, is now again available from Amato Publications. $29.95 for the paperback. Originally published in 1995, this was the first book totally devoted to all aspects of the tube fly.
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/09/04 03:08 PM

I've used them with baitfish patterns for SRCs. I like it because I can have a 1-2 1/2" fly with a size 10 or 12 hook, much better for the fish.
Posted by: First Light

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/10/04 09:28 PM

Well I actually have a couple of waddington shank flys I got in a fly swap, never used them though yet.

The shanks don't look as heavy as the copper tubes but I guess you can wait them with lead wire if you want ?

Yes I like the smaller hooks you can use on tubes with the big fly, better fish holding power less leverage for the fish to work with and lose you.

FL
Posted by: ROCKFISH

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/10/04 11:05 PM

hey fishingjunky looks like the green demon struck again, nice fish and even better avatar, they can see that fly from a mile away
Posted by: Homer2handed

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/11/04 12:13 AM

FL

You got it!

laugh
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/11/04 06:46 PM

Rockfish: Ya, I use that fly when I don't see anything around that the fish are feeding on. Makes a great searching pattern. I've caught SRCs and resident silvers on it so far. Great fly.
Posted by: fred evans

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/12/04 07:26 PM

Vis a vis the Waddington Shanks, some folks do a 'home grown' job with these and will use 'cotter keys.' Only 'trick' is you HAVE TO bend the eye of the cotter key upwards to 'protect' you leader material.

And as someone suggested above, you can weight the heck out of these if you so choose (like using them off a dry line)

Re: Tube Fly's - 06/13/04 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info... I made some tube fly's and now I will see if the fish like them?