List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette

Posted by: Homer2handed

List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/11/04 09:30 PM

Posted by: Steeliegreg

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/11/04 10:19 PM

When you see someone hook into a fish, give them some room and some time to play and land it.
Posted by: Old Man

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/11/04 10:55 PM

It's good that you take time to list these things but for everybody to practice them will never happen. When I go/get to a stream and there are already a few people there I will leave. I don't like crowds.

Jim
Posted by: mattzoid

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/12/04 03:16 AM

Don't bring retired Boeing workers that can't stand crowds. Just kidding old friend.

Matt Burke
Posted by: cupo

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/12/04 05:03 AM

Leave ill-mannered dogs at home.
Posted by: Willieboats

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/12/04 10:34 PM

Don't assist an angler in landing his fish without being asked.

beathead
Posted by: summerrun

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/12/04 11:09 PM

Say Hello and maybe find out a little about the people you meet along the way...

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/12/04 11:11 PM

NO LOW-HOLEING!

beathead beathead beathead

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 12:54 AM

Cheers Homer, lets go out someday and do it the right way and pick up a fish coming in behind those old farts... smile
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 02:23 AM

How about instead of worrying about catching every fish in the river, just be happy that you were fortunate enough to get a fish. Get away from the competitive nature of the numbers game. How about letting someone else the opportunity at a choice piece of water if you have hooked a fish or two?

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 02:32 AM

Why is it when you go fishing with your buddies you all jump in the river at about 30 feet apart just so you can shoot the breeze but when somebody strange does that you all get up tight and say that they are low holing you. I just don't get it.

Jim
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 04:12 PM

Ask the person working a run which way they are working the run and if it is alright to step in below them or if they would prefer you to move down river.

Like this is going to happen. I hate it when somebody (usually a gear guy) steps in right below me and grows roots and won't move as I work down river. I don't mind if they move at the same rate as me.
Posted by: stlhdfishn

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 10:03 PM

Just because you have chest waders doesn't mean you have to wade to the middle of the river, show some courtesy to those above and around you. beathead
Posted by: First Light

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/13/04 11:15 PM

Do something to improve the river area such as packing a garbage bag and removing some trash (cans, paper, etc.)

FL
Posted by: cupo

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/14/04 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishingjunky15:
Ask the person working a run which way they are working the run and if it is alright to step in below them or if they would prefer you to move down river.

Like this is going to happen. I hate it when somebody (usually a gear guy) steps in right below me and grows roots and won't move as I work down river. I don't mind if they move at the same rate as me.
For steelheading and salmon fishing 90% of people fish their way down stream. Late arrivals should step in above and let the first person fish through the drift first.

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/14/04 02:56 AM

Exactly cupo, why dont people get that?? It is just the way you work a run in this area.
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/14/04 02:20 PM

Cupo- That works too if the person is halfway through the run. But on thouse really long runs (1/4 - 1 mile) and the person it at the very top of the run, ask before stepping in about 30-50 yards below them.

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/15/04 10:02 PM

Here one I almost forgot!

When you see OLD MAN coming down stream to you, pick up the biggest rock you can handle and chuck it at him!
:p

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/16/04 12:42 AM

I practiced mine today. I fished three different places and had them all to myself. Nobody but me the bugs and the birds. Ah the quiet was wonderful.

Jim

Oh I caught three little ones and no they weren't smolts. I was above where steelhead or salmon can get. :p
Posted by: Double Haul

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/16/04 02:23 AM

Jim, The old saying is "I caught some 6 inchers and a bunch of little ones." smile

Another thought regarding stream etiquette- How about when you see a car or two already in a pull off, how about using a backup plan and fish a different location that is vacant.
Posted by: fred evans

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/19/04 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stlhdfishn:
Just because you have chest waders doesn't mean you have to wade to the middle of the river, show some courtesy to those above and around you. beathead
MAN! Did this one remind me of a couple of fellows below Tou Velle park (Rogue just north of Medford, Or) last summer beathead

I'd hooked 5 or 6 fish out of a very small section of the river when these two 'Orvis boys' come wandering up. 'How's fishing?' Dummy here (na, always do) says good, and tells them EXACTLY where the fish are sitting in the hole. sleep at the switch) 3 or 4 more.
Posted by: BrotherChin

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 07/20/04 02:17 AM

I'm hearing a lot about moving downstream but when I swing a dry fly I like to start low and work up, fishing the fly in a dead drift. As for eitiquette if you are the only one in the hole I want to fish, there is a good chance that you will be offered a beer or two.
Posted by: Dave D

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 08/04/04 06:22 PM

Quote:
Leave ill-mannered dogs at home.
I will second that!!!
Posted by: inland

Re: List some thing on Stream Fishing Etiquette - 08/06/04 12:43 AM

Actually Fishingjunky,

Even if the run is 3 miles long (that's an exaggeration so don't take it litterally)- DON'T step in below another angler. Get in line above them.

If you are working a run with other anglers and happen to hook up, it's your turn to move to the back of the line. Don't be a fish hog and share the wealth.

William