steelhead patterns

Posted by: stlhdfishn

steelhead patterns - 08/15/04 01:51 PM

If you could have any one book to use to gain ideas from for your own flies or to duplicate existing flys what book would it be ?
Posted by: Mr. Twister

Re: steelhead patterns - 08/16/04 04:30 PM

Without question, the Trey Combs book is the best for the number of patterns and the diversity.

Rob
Posted by: First Light

Re: steelhead patterns - 08/16/04 08:38 PM

Trey Combs has 3 books on steelhead flys and fishing, I have all three, you probably want the last one which has the modern series of steelhead flys. Its the most expensive of the books, called Steelhead Fly Fishing, it talks about the famous PNW steelhead rivers, methods, flys, and famous steelheaders of old. Probably the one you want. The other two books are older than that one, lots of good old patterns and history in those too.

The Deke Meyer book - Advanced Steelhead fly fishing is also very good.

FL
FL
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: steelhead patterns - 08/19/04 02:29 AM

I also like Deke Meyer's book Advanced Fly Fishign For Steelhead. Infact it is sitting right next to the computer. It's is probably the best book on how to fly fish for steelhead too. It is only Advanced because you have to know the lingo.
Posted by: jam session

Re: steelhead patterns - 08/19/04 11:55 AM

I also like Fly Patterns of the Umpqua Feather Merchants by Randall Kaufmann which has a chapter of about 10 pages on steelhead flies. I especially like the way it is organized with the recipe for tying the fly right under the picture.