first fly rod steelhead

Posted by: stlhdhntr

first fly rod steelhead - 08/18/04 08:27 PM

I'm not a big poster, but i had to share today. decide i would go to the nf lewis this afternoon since i had nothing better to do. got to the spot and decided i should break out the fly rod since it has been idle for a little while(winston ltx #5). went ahead and got it strung up and decided i would try a black/crystal flash wooly bugger thinking i might get some attention from the trout if nothing else. walked down to the hole and took a good look around, and see much going on. then i rememberd i had read somewhere recently about fresh, aggresive fish holding in the riffles during the heat of the day. so i figured it's as good a place to start as any. sent out the first cast and about halfway through the drift it gets interrupted by a thump, thump. come up tight and i figure i probably got a dink on. boy was i wrong! next thing i know backing is going out past the tip top. oh crap!! 25 minutes later a 12# steelie is sitting on the bank with me screaming like a school girl!! I figured since i didnt have a cooler, and since the fish gods were being kind it was time to go home and bbq fresh fish.

steve
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: first fly rod steelhead - 08/18/04 08:39 PM

Thats Awsome steve congrats
Posted by: First Light

Re: first fly rod steelhead - 08/18/04 09:03 PM

Sorry to hear that your hooked now like the rest of us steelhead fever, congratulations, nothing like the first one, mine was in 1980, and remember the excitement.

Cheers

FL
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: first fly rod steelhead - 08/19/04 02:32 AM

Welcome to the club. Now you need a winter run, first 20+ pounder, 30+ pounder....dare I say 40?
Posted by: Homer2handed

Re: first fly rod steelhead - 08/19/04 02:29 PM

stlhdhntr

Can you say two-hander?
Posted by: stlhdhntr

Re: first fly rod steelhead - 08/20/04 02:51 AM

fj 15. yes a nice 20 or 30 #r would be very sufficent for this boy.
h2h. just getting the one handed thing down, but will probably try a two hander one of these days when i get the old funds built up again.

steve