US Youth Fly Fishing team

Posted by: Divers

US Youth Fly Fishing team - 12/27/04 11:11 PM

I got this from another site.

"The US is planning on sending another team to the World Championships this year in Poland. Candidates need to be under the age of 18 as of December 31st 2004 and over the age of 15. If you know of "an tallented kids in your area please feel free to drop me an email.
We are looking for candidates who can meet the following criteria."
1. Have a fly fishing back ground, a diverse knowledge of the sport, and are physically capable of competiting.
2. Are responsible and can act in a manner that represents the USA in a positive manner.
3. Have the ability to be trained in the methods that are effective on the waters we will be fishing.
4. Have the ability to travel abroad at the end of the summer of 2005 for a period of roughly a month, with their parents permission.
5. Have the ability to make the training sessions that are to be held once this spring and once this summer.
6. Can provide a list of references, resume, and team questionaire.

We are also looking for sponsors interested in supporting the US Youth Team. So far the USA has participated in two comptitions. The first produced a tem Silver Medal and an individual Gold. In the second we placed 7th among the participating teams. With tallent and sponsors we have the ability to train very capable teams to represent the USA.

Interested candidates and sponsors can contact me at flyfishar@hotmail.com. I can also be contacted by the phone numbers listed on my website. I'll have further information in mid January regarding the specifics of the Championships.

John Wilson
Captain
US Youth Fly Fishing Team
Posted by: First Light

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 12/28/04 07:52 PM

I know John Wilson from Arkansas, heck of a nice fellow. Matter of fact we traded messages today. Hes giving some good old natured kidding again.

FL
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 12/29/04 01:18 PM

Divers,

I think this is one of those "to each his own" kind of things. I like the idea of encouraging young people to take up fly fishing. However, I won't support anything that encourages competitive fly fishing. I'm enough of a traditionalist that I like to think of fly fishing as "the contemplative man's recreation." In my experience, competition isn't very contemplative, and often not all that recreational, so these are not a good mix for me.

I'm sure others see it differently, and I hope that's good for them.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/02/05 11:26 AM

Salmo G

Your like me " a traditionlist" if my past fly fishing mentors from 40 years ago seen what was going on now with this internet fly fishing and other new fly fishing areas such as competition I know what they would have to say.

Heck they used to chastise us youngsters for using nymphs back then on or near the Holy Waters. (No kill fly fish only etc)

Cheers

FL
Posted by: Fishingjunky15

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/04/05 12:10 AM

I think I qualify for that although I don't believe I could have it take up that much of my time.

Allwell, I reather would enjoy working a run or stalking a beach all to myself.
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/04/05 11:42 AM

I think competition in flyfishing has only a destructive influence, i think it's bad in all it's forms threfore i think the idea of sending teams to compete is a stupid idea as is even holding a compatition.
Posted by: Homer2handed

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/04/05 01:28 PM

If it open the door for younger people to join the sport I'm all for it.

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/07/05 08:07 PM

FF comps. are very big in Europe. Maybe its a social event for them ?

FL
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: US Youth Fly Fishing team - 01/11/05 09:15 PM

im 17, i can fish dry's for trout pretty good, but am pretty unskilled when it comes to wet flies, except lake fishing.