flies for remote lakes

Posted by: zambi

flies for remote lakes - 08/02/05 08:43 PM

If our schedules mesh correctly, in a couple of days I'll be going with my father-in-law on a horse trip up in the hills (far NE Lewis County). Any suggestions for patterns to use in those remote lakes? A couple that have been suggested to me so far are:

Griffith's Gnat
Renegade

Do any of you care to share any other ideas? I don't tie yet, so I'll be heading to my local shop to buy a few.

This will be interesting... I've never ridden a horse! But when I heard "there are lots of remote lakes up there" I knew I had to jump on it. smile
Posted by: sauk

Re: flies for remote lakes - 08/09/05 07:54 PM

I'd add mosquito to that list. They'll be biting you and most likely the fish will be biting them.

I forgot to add: make sure the patterns you bring are small - typically the bugs the trout are feeding on in mountain lakes aren't very large - 16s and 18s are usually what I start with.
Posted by: zambi

Re: flies for remote lakes - 08/15/05 02:03 PM

Sauk, you're right. The fish weren't very big.

We went to Dumbbell Lake. Warm water, shallow lake. We had been told there were BIG trout in there--as soon as I saw the lake, I was extremely skeptical of this. After having been there, I'd have to see them to believe it. I don't believe there's enough food source to get them very large. I caught 8 or 9 small cutts, and lost 5 or 6 more. The biggest was not more than 12"; most were half that. They *were* pretty!