Albacore on the Fly

Posted by: Steve R

Albacore on the Fly - 09/05/06 04:32 PM

I joined Puget Sound Fly Company for a tuna trip on Sunday. We left Astoria about 5:30am and headed west for about 45 miles until the water temp hit almost 60 degrees. The skipper yelled Tuna and we put out a couple of gear rods and a fly and soon had two Albacore ripping line off the reels. I dropped my 500 grain 12 weight and let it start sinking near the other fly hooked Tuna and soon saw the fly line disappear with about 200 feet of backing. I landed my first Albacore. Anil and I both honored our fish by eating the still pumping heart.
My second fish came straight to the boat without a fight but when it saw the net it took about 250 feet of line in 10 seconds. I have never seen a fish fly the fast. Landed my second Albacore. As we were washing off the freshly bled fish, my fly was behind the boat and I was fast to another fish. As it came closer to the boat I couldn't believe how big it was. It was a 7' Blue Shark. When it finally saw the boat it made one big head shake and the 30-pound leader parted and he quickly swam away. The 5 guys on our boat landed 13 Albacore and the 5 on the second boat landed 11. It is a long day but one I look forward to again next year. Check it out on www.pugetsoundflyco.com

Good fishing, Steve
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Albacore on the Fly - 09/06/06 01:11 AM

Thanks for sharing your story, Steve. I often think about chasing albacore some time . . . but then remember I'm prone to sea sickness. 45 or more miles out, and a lot of the trips are over-nighters - not sure if I want to risk it. Sure sounds fun, tho.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.
Posted by: Steve R

Re: Albacore on the Fly - 09/06/06 11:34 AM

Salmo g, we were fortunate that there were not very heavy seas. None of the 10 of us were seasick. On a rough day just leaving the Columbia can be a challenge. I will definately be going on the trip next year.