Can someone help?

Posted by: Mattdiy

Can someone help? - 10/09/06 09:38 AM

Can anyone recommend a decent low priced rod and reel for fly fishing?

Hope someone can advise me.

Thanks

Matt
Kitchens Kitchen Doors
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Can someone help? - 10/09/06 12:59 PM

It depends on what will you be fishing for....
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Can someone help? - 10/09/06 01:02 PM

"It depends on what will you be fishing for...."

See what happens when one gets interrupted while typing?
Posted by: Fish Whisperer

Re: Can someone help? - 10/10/06 06:08 PM

Most quality rod/reel manufacture make a low end set up for beginners. When I started I purchased a Sage rod and an Orvis reel. Ran about $300 (US) for both. Still use it today. Of course I have 10 other reel & poles by now. Talk to your local fly shops for info and advise. Good luck.
Posted by: fishpinner

Re: Can someone help? - 10/11/06 12:48 AM

I got a pretty cheap fly rod and reel combo from Cabelas that has worked fine for me. I'm just learning, so I don't need anything too fancy. They have a really good online catalog and buying guide. Get a 6 weight if you want to catch pinks or silvers, and a 4 weight if you're just going after trout. Hope that helps, and good luck.
Posted by: Steve R

Re: Can someone help? - 10/11/06 12:22 PM

Matt, Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake in Seattle has some good Cortland beginning packages that include rod, reel and line. From there Jimmy can show you Temple Forks Outfitter rods that are a step up. Do yourself a favor and go to a fly shop. They can walk you through your choices and help you avoid spending money on something that you won't be happy with. I have known Jimmy for years and he will not sell you more than you need. Steve
Posted by: glennski

Re: Can someone help? - 10/15/06 02:07 PM

Matt , when I started I was hurting for $ so I bought sientific ? spell at walmart reg $34 on sale for $19 I ended up liking them and now have three one a eight weight. these have met my inital needs and I still use them alot. My bigest mistake was buying cheep reels Which I am now replacing. As far as I am concerned nothing less than a medalist is worth having as the drags / clicks are not user friendly for me just my .02 cents worth Good luck. Glenn