Chum Flies

Posted by: Fish Whisperer

Chum Flies - 11/15/06 12:14 PM

Anyone willing to share a pic of your favorite Chum fly? I see what people are using on the rivers, but nothing in the local fly shops match them. I need a pattern to copy. Or send me a few if you extra. laugh
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Chum Flies - 11/15/06 02:47 PM

http://www.adiposflytying.com/chartreusecrazycharlieALL.html

http://www.adiposflytying.com/ackerlandALL.html

those are the 2 that i use. and i do very well with them.
Posted by: Steve R

Re: Chum Flies - 11/15/06 05:55 PM

Whisperer, sorry I don't have photos but my go-to Chum Fly is the Emerald Green Flashabou Comet. Patrick's Fly Shop has them in Seattle. The fly is tied on a size 4 or 6 Gamakatsu Octopus hook. There is a tail of about 10 strands of flashabou that is then wrapped up to the head. I use small chrome or black eyes. An emerald green hackle is wrapped 2 or 3 turns behind the eyes. I use Chartruese thread for the head just to have some contrast.
I caught 5 nice Chum this fall on a size 6 Chartruese Clouser Minnow. I seldom use Chartruese on Chum as they see so much of that color, but on that Sunday morning, that was the color that they dialed in on. Good luck, Steve

Re: Chum Flies - 11/15/06 10:24 PM

Thanks Steve and Slayer. The above links are great. I ordered some from them.
Posted by: Camofish

Re: Chum Flies - 11/19/06 10:27 PM

Can't go wrong at $1.50 a pop. A good K-14 will set you back $5-$7. Can you tell I'm not a bug tosser?

Re: Chum Flies - 11/26/06 11:50 PM

I went to the "Adiposflytying" link. They will tie customs orders for you @ $1.50 a fly. I email them a pic of some Chum flies I found and they tied them for me. Thanks for the link.
Posted by: Knucklebustersonly

Re: Chum Flies - 12/13/06 12:10 AM

Shoot, VHawk had a productive Chum fly that he used to get a bunch...Send him a PM and see what he says about it...
Posted by: VHawk.

Re: Chum Flies - 12/13/06 06:33 PM

Well it's not really a 'fly' in the strict sense. Basically took a #1/0 gammy snelled on 3 feet of 14 pound test, ran 2 red beads above the hook and a 2 1/2 inch hoochie over that. Pink seemed to work best. Green or pink bunny leeches would work just as well, and are closer to traditional than the quasi-fly hoochie.

Chum aren't real picky. I've had them hit almost anything I've thrown at them including k-15's with 5 inch pink worms trailed off the tail hook.

Good luck