just started

Posted by: Queets guy

just started - 01/18/07 10:03 PM

I think to Im to the point that Ive caught enough salmon,steelhead and trout on bait and then all artificials so i thought Id move on to the next big challenge. I just started fly fishing after playing some sea run cutts and some chums at minter using my buddies gear. Im looking for a good sea run cutt fishin rod and reel for smaller creeks to get started and then eventually to steelhead.Im trying to keep it under 70-80$, eventually i will definetly upgrade to a lot better gear but for a beginner anything will do.any info will really help, thanks.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: just started - 01/18/07 10:28 PM

are you wanting to start cheap because you arent sure if you'll like it? or starting cheap just because thats the way you want to start?
For $70-80 you are quite limited. I would suggest getting a rod that will have a good warranty so that if you break it, it will be replaced.
Redington has good rods for beginers as well as a good warranty.
A cheap reel will get beat up by the saltwater even if you take very good care of it. A pflueger medalist should run you about $30 or so depending where you find it. It will do just fine.
A basic all-around rod weight for the salt is a 6wt.