Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches

Posted by: summerrun

Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/08/07 07:21 PM

Just got out the past few days to try the surface popper gig, did get a nice rise from a small fish and that was "almost" enough to hook me on beach fishing. The seaweed was killing me, having to mess with that crap on nearly every other cast was taking a ton of good fishing time away...any advice? Cheers
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/09/07 12:58 PM

SR,
Depends on where you are fishing. If you are fishing a point, try fishing the other side. Move around until you can find clear water. Some beaches are way worse for salad then others, particularly after minus tides like we are having this week.
Places with strong tidal flows seem to flush that stuff out quicker.
You can also fish on the dark side. Fishing subsurface with a clouser will help reduce some but not all of your seaweed issues.
Good luck with the popper game.
Brian
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/10/07 12:30 AM

some beaches have more seaweed shortly after the tide change...i notice that once the tide gets ripping after a while you dont see much seweed unless the nets are being checked nearby...c
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/12/07 12:06 PM

Yeah, use a buzz bomb. It will stay below the surface longer and presto less weeds. Just kiddin' K go get em'-T

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/12/07 02:10 PM

nope, i wont buzz bomb anything other than a cocktail...got some trick new popper heads that i am itching to try out...tides look GOOD this week...cheers.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/13/07 05:18 PM

i get less seaweed when i use a surface fly. trailing hook with an upturned point seems to shed the weed pretty well. other than that, cast to open lanes in the weed, or move areas.

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/13/07 06:11 PM

thanks guys, about what i thought but input from the regulars is good...im out to hit tonights tide with the poppers and see what happens...cheers.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/13/07 06:40 PM

good luck out there and let me know how it goes. I have been gone for a week catching bluefish and stripers on the eastcoast...

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 08/13/07 06:55 PM

will do, tides look sweet both am and pm this week till i go home and hit some idaho high mountain dry fly action for a week or so...blues and stripers sound way cool...post a story, i dont know a thing about that fishery...cheers
Posted by: gilly

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 09/03/07 11:26 AM

Summerrun, Just get your best fishing buddy to wade out with a rake and open up a casting lane for you.

Matt

Re: Any advice on seaweed control when fishing beaches - 09/03/07 01:09 PM

how about jump in a boat and go where it isnt...dont know if I am cut out to be a beach popper guy other than a few trips a year ill stick to the open salt and rivers...hows it going out there gilly?