16/07 cutty report

Posted by: Queets guy

16/07 cutty report - 08/16/07 11:42 PM

Went to the local beach today located in West Pass and did very well. With a total hook up of one coho (5/6lb range), one little blackmouth (19/20in) and aroud a dozen cutties ( smallest 14in and largest 19in) and lost a couple biggens including the coho. Today was easily the best day Ive ever had since Ive started fishing the salt in October of 06. Fish were hooked on a 3 1/2in bozo fly made of all flash and pink over white clousers. I'll be back down tomarrow with another report.

Jake
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/18/07 08:43 PM

Can you give me some line advice for saltwater flyfishing?
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/20/07 10:49 AM

tuna- Rio Outbound is my favorite for the salt. i prefer a floater as i can still fish poppers with it but a lot of guys like the intermediate tip.
Posted by: harleydeen

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/20/07 08:55 PM

Heh D3, although I don't have any experience with the outbound line, is it similiar to the Air Flo 40+? That is the line that is on the reel that I bought from a fellow board member.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/20/07 08:58 PM

yeah... fairly similar

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/20/07 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: D3Smartie
tuna- Rio Outbound is my favorite for the salt. i prefer a floater as i can still fish poppers with it but a lot of guys like the intermediate tip.

Thanks, now another ? are fly lines salt and fresh specific? I have a loomis 9ft 6wt IMX that I wrapped many moons ago. I never use it. Was thinking of using it in the salt. Reel is a cheap ross. I believe it would sufice for pinks in the salt.

The other fly reel I have is a JRyall, but I think its too big for the 6 wt.
Jason
Posted by: wntrrn

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/25/07 01:34 PM

Generally speaking lines are not water specific. Some lines are built specifically for warm climates. Normal lines will become extremely limp in hot weather making them difficult to cast.

As for the rod, your IMX is perfect for most beach/saltwater fishing around here. Throw an intermediate outbound line on that Ross and you're ready to go.
Posted by: Queets guy

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/26/07 10:42 PM

I like to fish a full clear intermediate because I dont like using weighted flies and I like them to get a little deeper than with a floating line.

Jake

Re: 16/07 cutty report - 08/28/07 08:03 PM

Thanks for the replys on a post hijak, sorry about that. I have a stack of shooting heads and a couple "full lines" but I don't really know what either means.

I appricate the info. I am a flailer with the fly rod. But if the pinks got thick I think it would be fun. I use the Jryall on my strip rod (loomis 1025 blank wrapped as a fly rod) Grew up fishing small steelhead rivers/creeks with the striprod. Its the nicest striprod I have owned. Plenty of backbone to keep them out of the timber.