Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod

Posted by: summerrun

Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 05/28/09 02:42 PM

I am getting a 6/7 12' 6" switch rod next week. What recommendations would you have regarding a reel/line combo under $300 total? I am "leaning" toward one of the lower cost Ross reels and the Skagit multi tip in a 7wt...rod will be used for summerruns, silvers n bows primarily....cheers
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 05/28/09 03:52 PM

I have a 6126 with a rio windcutter on it. I like it a lot for summer runs on the G.R. I have also used it in the salt for big cutthroats as well as on the Missouri at night swinging for big browns.
As far as a reel, a Ross CLA 4 would probably be a nice fit if that is in your price range. Redington has also come out with some nice reels lately that i have been using. The CDL 9/10 is one reel i use on my 6126. But i have been using the Rise with my latest purchase, a 5wt, and i really like this reel a lot.
good luck

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 05/28/09 04:01 PM

Thanks D3, is that Rise a Ross reel or a Redington? I believe the CLA 4 is a $100 class reel but still maintains the higher end drag system...what weight Windcutter do you throw? I have the Windcutter for my big spey but have been hearing alot of talk about the Skagit line of late...

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 05/28/09 04:50 PM

The rise is a Redington reel.
The CLA 4 is $200+ dollar reel. You might have to step up to a 5 depending on the line you are going to use.
I use a 5/6 floater on one reel and a 7/8/9 on another.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 06/01/09 01:49 PM

The SA short head is a good choice. If you want a Windcutter, I have an unused 7 wt floater that would need to be cut and looped for tips. It was in a lot of Spey gear I bought a year and a half ago. I'll probably never use it and would be happy to sell it cheap to someone who will use it.

Sg
Posted by: floatinghat

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 06/02/09 01:06 AM

Think about the types / size flies you want to fish and where. Skagit lines were originally designed to throw half chicken type stuff. Meaning they carry a lot of mass thru the forward taper. You might look at a scandi setup or the windcutter should be the tweaner of the two. I would not cut it for tips just use sinking leaders.

D3, do you over head cast the 6126 also? curious how it would o/h cast poppers.

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 06/02/09 01:22 AM

i dont bother overhead casting with the spey. I really havent gotten into the Switch/spey in the salt. I much prefer my 690xi2 both for casting and fighting fish.

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 06/03/09 04:23 PM

Good info, thank you. Still did not settle on the best setup. Think the go try out a bunch of lines and see what feels the best on that particular rod is the way im going...look forward to some summer steel here shortly...cheers
Posted by: Gray Ghost

Re: Advice on reel/line for light Spey Rod - 06/04/09 01:13 PM

Summer - Vision Ace Scandi. head, Varivas shooting line 36lb., .021, Airflo Poly leaders, 10' and 14', floating and sinking.
Winter - Airflo Compact Skagit head, Airflo Tactical running line 20lb., .036, Airflo CCT - 200 sink tips, Rio T-series and DC sink tips.