A few tuna treats

Posted by: Twitch

A few tuna treats - 07/01/09 11:26 PM

Thought I'd throw up a few pics of what happens when you get sick, can't sleep, and decide to pull a Sudafed (the 'scrip stuff thumbs) induced all-nighter while you wait for the damn north wind, cold water crap to stop!

If anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask. Quick version: Mustad 7766D Big Game Tarpon 5/0's, Super Hair, Unique Hair, Flashabou, GSP thread.

Large EZ Body, 1/0 stinger on 80#PP, Mustad 7766D Big Game Tarpon

Light Pink Estaz, Sea Eyes, Mustad 7766D Big Game Tarpon
Posted by: Brant

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/01/09 11:38 PM

Those are some nice looking flies. What size rod do you use for tuna? Do you fish those flies off the coast here in OR/WA? Do you troll them? The one time I was out for tuna we did OK, but there was no way I could stand up without support, let alone cast a large fly. Would've been man overboard real quick in the swells on that day.
Posted by: wildwillard

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/03/09 01:18 AM

very nice!
Posted by: Castingpearls

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/03/09 12:36 PM

That last one looks like a modified Skrunk. A Tuna-Skrunk.

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/04/09 11:50 AM

The ones pictured are large (oh, and unfinished... you'll want to put a couple coats of flexament or epoxy on the heads past the eyes, to give them some rigidity, and create a pocket that will produce a good bubble trail)

These guys would probably be best suited for trolling. Unless you like flailing away trying to chuck heavy 6" flies in rolling swell 40 miles out, at God's amusement...

Scale them down a bit (4" or so) and try a 3/0-4/0 hook if you want to cast them.

Going to try to experiement this year with conventional rods as well, dragging a spread of these off of a section of leader to a 2 or 3 oz trolling beadchain sinker.

CastingPearls... Skrunks know no boundaries wink
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/05/09 12:39 AM

Very, very cool. Thanks for posting those.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: A few tuna treats - 07/23/09 06:21 PM

Nice.I'd drag'em @ 6-7 knots any day.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Re: A few tuna treats - 09/03/09 10:26 AM

A few more...

Posted by: Mingo

Re: A few tuna treats - 09/09/09 01:26 AM

Those all look like tasty morsels.....I'll take any leftovers.. smile
Posted by: Tillanook

Re: A few tuna treats - 09/22/09 12:59 AM

Don't have the swine flu do ya?
Posted by: Chubbytyee

Re: A few tuna treats - 09/24/09 11:29 AM

Nice lookin flies...some of those would be worthy for a change of pace for some of these lock jaw ho's up here.